PD exit site infection - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums
Close Mobile Navigation

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

PD exit site infection

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD exit site infection

My exit site had fungal infection inspite of doing everything to prevent infection.How do I prevent this from happening again?

elentoy thank you for submitting a great question. Fungal infections can come from several different sources both internal and external. Water used for cleaning exit site that comes from shower head may be a source. Swimming in a contaminated water source could also be a risk factor. Long term antibiotic use both oral and intraperitoneal can also cause an overgrowth of yeast. If you take antibiotics, it is often recommended that a concurrent course of oral antifungal medication be taken to avoid overgrowth of yeast. Antibiotics are helpful but can also inhibit growth of the good bugs in our systems which help to avoid growth of fungus. Long term exposure to moisture and heat can also serve as a host for growth of fungus so keeping site dry, clean and covered is recommended. Certain comorbid conditions can also put patients at risk for yeast. The PD catheter can also become colonized and unless removed and replaced at a different site the infection typically will not resolve. Exposure to some environmental things like soil can pose a risk as well. Talk with your nephrologist to try and determine what the possible cause of the infection was so you can avoid in the future and return successfully to PD. Thank you for your question and I am sure it will help others.
    MichelleDaVitaRN

Comment

Working...
    X