Last meal of day before P.D - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last meal of day before P.D

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last meal of day before P.D

First, I would like to say that I am grateful to be able to do P.D. at home, as my center is 40 mins away from me. Even though the advantages outweigh the cons, here's my vent. I eat late. When I worked I was a cook at a restaurant, so because I was working to feed everyone during normal eating schedules I ate after work. I even try to force myself to eat by six so I can hook up by ten but by nine I am starving! I keep in mind that I will be miserable with my belly stretched to what feels like max capacity for hours on end. So usually talk myself out of eating. I am a size zero in jeans, medium top. I am not overweight. Been doing this since July and I guess it's not the end of the world but I thought I would post in case anyone else could relate. Feel free to respond with whatever. Love yo you all who have dealt with the struggle of kidney disease!

I know what you mean! I'm doing PD manually, and I am losing weight like crazy because I feel so full all the time. I am trying to work in little snacks during the day (such as yogurt or half a sandwich), but eating is definitely a problem.

Comment

Yes! I haven't lost any weight but I try to remind myself that if I am going to eat it should be something small, like a handful of unsalted pretzels or a small bowl of cereal.

Comment

Just having kidney disease affects your appetite, and I have noticed that at times. I did manual exchanges for three months before I got a 'cycler', I have only once had that feeling of being 'full'. Most of the time I eat a good meal, but not like I did when I was younger. My wife is a good cook and nothing we eat comes out of a box and I find that may be somewhat unusual. I see people in the grocery stores buying TV dinners, frozen pizza, and all kinds of stuff that needs nothing but heat to prepare, I'm glad I don't eat like they do. I'm 5'10" and weight about 195-197, my weight seems to fluctuate with the amount of water I consume. It is my belief that you will stay healthier longer if you eat good food, which includes not only meat, but fruits and vegetables as well. Snack if you need to keep your blood sugar up, and don't forget to eat enough protein snacks.

Comment

I'm so glad to read your posts. I just completed my first full week of PD at home, and changing my eating habits has become a top issue for my daily schedule. I made the mistake of eating an hour before my first overnight treatment on the cycler and I felt like a balloon ready to pop during the first 2 fills of the night. Now I try to strategically snack in the afternoons at work, and I eat a very light meal at home. Thank goodness for the internet and this message board!

Comment

My last meal ends 3hours before my treatment starts. If I don't stuff myself then I
            am comfortably during the night,

Comment

Thank you all for this discussion as I can relate to it all.

Comment

Tell me about it ..... I'm a APD patient I've been doing it for 5 years. I'm only small so the amount of fluid that goes In, i feel that full I can't even sit up without it hurting. That's if I don't eat. If I eat just before bed it makes me feel sick and wanting to vomit. So I don't eat much at all.

Comment

Hi everyone...My kidney disease was discovered in June 2015...I started my home dialysis (PD) a month later...Although at the time I didn't recognize it but my appetite was slowly leaving me...I didn't have a taste for anything and red meat has gotten to the point where I cant look at it and for a Texas boy that's unheard of...So I understand you when you say that eating late will only make you feel bloated for hours during your treatment, truly uncomfortable...So I wouldn't eat, BAD IDEA...I tried some of the kidney-friendly recipes and that worked for a bit but my taste buds didn't want anything but water...My family and the Da Vita nurses suggested that when I do eat to make it count (eat protein)...I've gotten to where I forced myself to eat...In the evenings during my treatment if I get those hunger attacks (cramps, pain) I eat an apple that I keep nearby and so far that's doing the trick...With my appetite still acting funny I noticed that my lab works are showing it and I believe its cause I'm not getting enough carbs...So the battle continues, eat when I don't want to eat...Something don't sound right about that (smile)...God bless us all...

Comment

I joined 4/1/2017. I have stage4 renal failure and I'm 84. So far I fell OK and wonder what I will feel like when my GFR gets below 15 (23 now).
                    ​Can someone tell me the side effects of this disease at this stage? like back aches, hard to urinate other maladies? Thanks in advance for any response.

Comment

Hi RichardSResnick and thanks for submitting your question. The symptoms that you may experience can be dependent on the cause of your kidney disease. I can certainly provide some general symptoms related to kidney disease stage 4 that you may or may not experience. All changes in your health should be reported to your nephrologist regardless of severity or frequency because reporting any change can help to determine progress of your kidney disease and best approach to address. Symptoms of kidney disease at stage 4 can include fatigue, nausea, vomiting, fluid retention, metallic taste in mouth, restless legs and difficulty sleeping. There could be other symptoms that are related to your specific diagnosis, so anything unusual that you experience should be reported. Some symptoms can be managed with medication changes or dietary adjustments. Regular blood work is common at this stage which helps to monitor your kidney function and stage of kidney disease. Good luck in your journey and don't hesitate to reach back out with questions.
                      MichelleDaVitaRN

Comment

My husband is 2+ years in on a nightly cycler. He eats twice a day, morning breakfast and then our 'big' meal (often just a sandwich and fruit) by 2:30. If he eats after 3 in the after noon he's miserable and does not get a good drain. It's just our reality and we've adjusted. Most days I kinda like not having to deal with cooking and dishes at night. Sure is a departure from the days of raising 5 kids and nightly family meals around the table.

Comment

for YEAR my pd went well but now I am not so sure. I throw up a lot. I am always pretty hungry yet find it hard to eat and suffer badly from heartburn. I try to eat early but takes so long cooking and oreparing.

Comment

smennolly some things to consider discussing with your nephrologist may be the following: Nausea and vomiting can sometimes be related to the need for increased dialysis. Reviewing your adequacy labs and dialysis regimen with your PD team may help to relieve those symptoms. Some diabetics experience gastroparesis which means your stomach isn't emptying as it should which can also lead to nausea, vomiting and heartburn. Small meals during day and staying upright for period of time after each meals is helpful as well as elevating your head at bedtime. Schedule time with your renal dietician to ensure you are maximizing your dietary intake each meal and adding snacks to ensure you are getting enough intake to satisfy hunger and avoid adding to your current symptoms. Heartburn is another area that should be addressed with your nephrologist and may be related to several different things such as medications, diabetes, diet and other co morbid conditions. PD is a great modality but as your health changes or you experience symptoms please reach out to your nephrologist and PD nurse so they can address your concerns. Thank you for posting your comments. I am sure it helps others who may be experiencing something similar.

Comment

Working...
                            X