Is anyone afraid of a kidney transplant? - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone afraid of a kidney transplant?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is anyone afraid of a kidney transplant?

I am with you Patty! I am awaiting live donors testing for transplant for me as well and have decifded to accept what comes. I have never been on dialysis and doctors have all encouraged me to go straight to transplant so I never even stopped to question this actually. I have nothing to compare it to so I have been under the impression that transplant was just better since you can get your life back. But i've also read that many people exsist fine on dialysis. Then I've also been told transplant can last a lifetime in some people. ..Or at least maybe 20 years from a live donor. I'm just hoping and continuing to pray for the best.

Flowergirl, I hope you come to the best decision for you!
    LanaB
    TRANSPLANT SCHEDULED NOV 14, 2011 THANKS TO MY AMAZING HUSBAND!!!
    Today oct 11th.Still no dialysis -and at 9% GFR,
    think i'm gonna make it!!!

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
    Benign Glomulersclerosis- not hereditary, no known cause
    Non-diabetic, normal BP
    Hospital error 2008 caused me to plummet straight to CKD5
    07/2011 -CKD 5 -GFR 11 - Not on Dialysis
    Awaiting transplant, doing eval, hoping for live donor match

Comment

Originally posted by LanaB View Post
      I am with you Patty! I am awaiting live donors testing for transplant for me as well and have decifded to accept what comes. I have never been on dialysis and doctors have all encouraged me to go straight to transplant so I never even stopped to question this actually. I have nothing to compare it to so I have been under the impression that transplant was just better since you can get your life back. But i've also read that many people exsist fine on dialysis. Then I've also been told transplant can last a lifetime in some people. ..Or at least maybe 20 years from a live donor. I'm just hoping and continuing to pray for the best.

Flowergirl, I hope you come to the best decision for you!
      LanaB
      A perfect match transplant can last around 35 years I think now (it is getting longer as medication is improving but yes they do have side effects and I know one transplant recipient who has had skin cancer 3 times already) where as others don't last 3 months. It depends on so many factors. Also depending on age it can seem to last a life time but if you are 60 and get a transplant and live til you are 95 well .. yeah that is great! I had my first transplant when I was 16 so I am very aware of the fact that one day I could be told that I cannot have any more transplants. I know this happens because a man younger than me who had his first transplant younger than me just was told this after finally rejecting his 3rd transplant (and he was very good with his meds and everything).

My point here is to not feel bad if you are not ready to be transplanted. It is probably a good thing to wait awhile so that you have less transplants during your life time (span it out more) however some also say get a transplant as soon as possible so you are no dialysis as little as possible because depending on the dialysis your health could also deteriorate on it. It depends on many factors. More dialysis is better so NxStage is better than 3 times a week 4 hr dialysis in center. it is up to the person themselves. For me I waited til my health started having issues and I was happy I got the call. Yes I waited 6 1/2 years for my 2nd transplant but even though it was a long wait I don't see it as being that long as it was necessary for everything else I was going through to have time to get things right in my head. I have depression and I wanted to be in the right state of mine to be able to do the best by my transplant. The Prednisone can make depression worse so I learned from my first transplant to watch for that and this time they set me up with a special doctor for that. I am pretty much fine right now.
      Angie
      Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
      I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
      • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
      • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
      • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Hi Flowergirl,

It's understandable to be afraid but I can say that I was so glad to have had my kidney transplant. I started kidney dialysis when I was 23 yrs. old. I only did dialysis for a year and a half before I had a non-related cadavour transplant. (1986) I had my kidney for 23 years without any problems until I got skin cancer that spred to my left lung. I did 1 1/2 yrs. of chemotherapy and ended up back on hemodialysis.

I still wouldn't trade those years that I had my transplant. I worked all those transplant years as a Paramedic. Every person is different but I consider myself Blessed. God has been good to me.

Comment

Would love to get transplant, but can't with ca dx!

Comment

Hi, I have Polycystic Kidney Disease & I am in stage 3b. I've had one surgery to deflat 200 cysts. That helped for a few years but I have so much pain again that it is ruining my quality of life. It is also very hard on a marriage because I can't do what I used to be able to do. This is the first time I've been on here & was wondering if anyone knows a good support group. There are times when I really need a good friend & my sister is so far away.

Comment

Originally posted by SundaeBabe View Post
              Hi, I have Polycystic Kidney Disease & I am in stage 3b. I've had one surgery to deflat 200 cysts. That helped for a few years but I have so much pain again that it is ruining my quality of life. It is also very hard on a marriage because I can't do what I used to be able to do. This is the first time I've been on here & was wondering if anyone knows a good support group. There are times when I really need a good friend & my sister is so far away.
              Hi SundaeBabe, thank you for reaching out here! I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis but am so happy you've joined the myDaVita community. It's a great place and resource to talk with others who share your connection to kidney disease and I hope it will be a helpful support network for you. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any additional questions about the forums or additional tools that myDaVita offers. Wishing you the best and hope you have a great day!

Comment

My mother has PKD and had a transplant 11 years ago. Unfortunately she's had complications in the past year and is a life timer at DaVita. I do have to say, I've been with her the entire way and the transplant was a breeze for her even at the age of 60. She had it done in Denver and we were walking the halls the same day and watching movies. The entire hospital stay was actually very nice. She said she felt better the next day than she had in years. She healed up fast and went on with a normal life for many years. Any type of surgery is scary but a transplant was a true blessing for my mom and actually not really a bid deal for her.

Comment

What happens if you body rejects the new kidney? What if you try other anti-rejection medications and none of them work? Has anyone ever heard that once your body rejects a kidney, the rest of your systems start to fail too?

Comment

I've known several people that received transplants and are doung well. They feel so much better after having the transplant done.

Comment

Working...
                    X