Not sure if I'm in the right place or not? - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure if I'm in the right place or not?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if I'm in the right place or not?

I have my consultation with the vascular surgeon tomorrow, and I'm a little nervous. Is there certain questions I need to ask? Procedure? in/out patient? I'm just a little freaked out. Any thoughts on other questions I'm missing?
    Thank you, Val.

Yes, you need to DEMAND the surgeon does a 'vein mapping' procedure BEFORE the surgery.

Comment

Hi, I have unfortunately become an expert at these surgeries. It is usually done as a same day surgery. Once you have vein mapping the surgeon can tell you if you can have a fistula or if you need a graph. By far, fistulas are preferable because it's your own veins being used. If the mapping shows you veins are not suitable, you will need a graph. A graph is a plastic type tube attached to the arteries. They don't last nearly as long and have the terrible problem of clotting. I have had 8 failed graphs due to clotting. I'm on a very high dose of blood thinners to try to keep this one open because they are running out of places to put them. Don't worry to much, my case is very extreme and not the norme. I wish you luck and all the best.

Comment

The surgeon who will perform my AV fistula placement this week performed vein mapping and stated that it should work okay for me, even though my veins are deeply embedded. Historically, though, nurses and phlebotomists have had a tough time of drawing blood from my arms because the veins are small and they roll. (Back when I was relatively healthy, I gave up on donating blood two decades ago after hearing way too many vampire jokes! ) I'm hoping that those characteristics won't lead to fistula problems later.

Comment

Hoping by now your Fistula is complete and healing My guy too has deep veins. Our Vascular said if necessary they can go in and lift once healing is complete . As of today he has been canulated three times. This is the second Fistula as his first in lower arm shut down during the second week of use and a catheter was inserted followed by a new Fistula site. Hope things are going well for you

Comment

Originally posted by Angelisa View Post
            Hi, I have unfortunately become an expert at these surgeries. It is usually done as a same day surgery. Once you have vein mapping the surgeon can tell you if you can have a fistula or if you need a graph. By far, fistulas are preferable because it's your own veins being used. If the mapping shows you veins are not suitable, you will need a graph. A graph is a plastic type tube attached to the arteries. They don't last nearly as long and have the terrible problem of clotting. I have had 8 failed graphs due to clotting. I'm on a very high dose of blood thinners to try to keep this one open because they are running out of places to put them. Don't worry to much, my case is very extreme and not the norme. I wish you luck and all the best.
            I assume you are talking about a GRAFT, "Mr. Expert"???????

Comment

Working...
            X