Does it hurt to get the cathider removed? - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it hurt to get the cathider removed?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it hurt to get the cathider removed?

Hi I'm new on dialysis I started in Jan. And I just started using my fistula and its been goin well. I've had about 7 good stick and need to make an apt to get cathider removed. I'm scared it will hurt. Do they give u twilight anesthesia or they just take it out. I'm a big baby and very anxious.

Actually this is a good question. I'd like to know what to expect myself.

Comment

Actually, that is an an excellent question. I had mine removed a few months ago and I thought they were going to kill me. They only used lidocaine and this procedure definitely requires more than that. I was actually screaming on the table. My advice is to make sure they are going to knock you out while this is being done.

Comment

Did it hurt long after?

Comment

About how much time did it take them ?

Comment

Hello All
            I have been on dialysis since Aug.1st I am on my 2nd cath. well realy my 3rd I had an emergency one placed in the hospital the first day it when in the neck and because my IV site was being used to get blood the could only use a local to put it in now that HURT but they used what you called twilight sedation for the two I have had to remove and it was over before you even knew it, so ask for the meds.

Comment

I just had mine removed two weeks ago. There really was no pain. I think it all depends how far the cuff is in. Mine was pretty close to the surface. So lidocaine was just fine for me.

Comment

I had a cvac inserted into my chest Aug 1 2014 and had to use it for hemo for about 10 weeks. The removal was painless with just lidocaine injected locally. They had to really stretch out my skin and cut it away from the cuff before they could pull it out, so it wasn't fun. But it did not hurt at all...until the local wore off a couple hours later- then it really stung for about a day.

Comment

You don't have to worry before your know it will be out with no pain at all. I had mine removed just months ago.

Comment

Good to know, I'm going to have mine removed soon!

thanks everyone

Comment

Pain is rare and it only hurts for a second. If done properly it is done quick and painless. Just a little discomfort.
                      Quality Urgent Care San Antonio

Comment

Working...
                      X