Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctors reducing my dad's dialysis sessions from 3 to 2 times a week

Hi

I was wondering if someone would be able provide some insight.

My dad is 73 and has end stage kidney failure, along with heart failure, copd, diabetes, high blood pressure, and this past Christmas also had bladder cancer (which they removed via turbt. However, it was the aggressive kind which they think will come back). There is a do not resuscitate order in place and the doctors seem to think he has a year at most.

He is frail, exhausted all the time and spends most of his time in a hospital bed that is now in the living room as he isn't really mobile anymore.

The doctors are now considering reducing his haemodialysis from 3 days a week to 2 as they feel he is too frail and after a recent episode of his blood pressure dropping so low whilst on dialysis he lost consciousness to continue on the 3 days. Is it not dangerous to reduce him to 2 days a week and could this be a sign that his body is struggling to cope with the dialysis treatment and could this also be the doctors phasing out is treatment. I have not come across anyone that has had their sessions reduced.

If anyone could give any information or experiences to help me understand what is happening, I would be most grateful.

Sorry to hear that your Dad is feeling so poorly. I have a brother-in-law that they changed to less time on hemo to help him with blood pressure--he is in hospital and has hemo three times a week. he is on for two hours

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

I think I'm worrying because they are thinking of dropping a whole session which will mean longer periods between treatment. This surely means more toxins to remove when he goes for dialysis.

Comment

Working...
      X