X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused

Does everyone have to get a fistula? Have read where some have more than one access site. why?

If you're going to do Peritoneal Dialysis then you wouldn't have to have a fistula. However, if you are going to do in-center hemo or home hemo then yes, you would mostly likely need to get a fistula or graft. Some people have a central line catheter, but that's not recommended for long term use as it has a higher risk for infection.

Comment

I am in the process of making a choice for dialysis. I am so confused, but Peritoneal Dialysis is on the top of my list. I'd love to hear feedback on it from anyone that is on it. I've read that you feel better on this need to make a decision pretty soon.

Comment

I have been on Peritoneal Dialysis since April. Previously I was on in-center hemo and was for about 3 1/2 years. I have been loving PD so far compared to in-center. With PD I have a lot more flexibility as far as having my days free. Yes, it sucks having to hook up to a machine every single night, but the freedom otherwise outweighs that negative. During the week I try to hook up by 10:00pm at the latest since I work all week. I am an 8 hr treatment run so usually am done around 6am or a little after. On weekends I hook up whenever I feel like it. I have found that I do feel better with PD more for the fact that I don't have the ups and downs like I did with in-center and I haven't had to deal with cramping or drops in my blood pressure. With in-center hemo you do it typically 3 days a week and are hooked up to a machine for however long your treatment time is. I would feel horrible most of the time after treatment and often times would find myself sick and throwing up or I would get cramping. Granted you have your whole day and night free for the days you don't have treatment, but for me with work, busy schedule and wanting to have more freedom in my life, PD was the way to go. I kick myself sometimes wondering why I waited so long to make this change.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidneyfix View Post
          I am in the process of making a choice for dialysis. I am so confused, but Peritoneal Dialysis is on the top of my list. I'd love to hear feedback on it from anyone that is on it. I've read that you feel better on this need to make a decision pretty soon.

Well, PD seems to work better for very busy people, especially those with erratic schedules, but there are drawbacks to PD:

It is generally less effective
          If you have polycystic kidneys, you probably don't have adequate capacity in your peritoneum.
          You run a greater risk of infection
          You need to sleep all night with a hose connected, and a noisy machine running/beeping
          You must keep pets away while dialyzing
          After a certain amount of time, most people's peritoneum hardens, and PD is no longer effective.

On the plus, it is gentler (albeit more time-consuming), and the machine is more portable.

Comment

I have been on hemo dialysis since March 2016 and my access is a catheter. I do not want a fistula. I rarely have felt bad during/after dialysis. Have only had cramping maybe 4 times. Sometime I even go to the gym directly from dialysis......so everyone is different

Comment

I was on PD. I hooked up at night and had all day free. The machine only beeped if there was a problem like maybe lying on a tube. There was slight pain some times at drain time but mostly it was ok. There is a large amount of supply boxes so you need space for that. It took up half a bedroom. Your room needs to be clean and well vacuumed. No pets should come in the bedroom at all. Cleanliness is very important. Hands well washed, catheter taped well to your abdomen. Lots of freedom but also lots of things to consider. I now do hemodialysis and have a fistula on my upper arm. I go three times a week. The tech hooks me up. No pain because I apply lidocaine cream 90 minutes before needles are put in. I just sit there watching tv or playing on my phone. No cleaning. No supplies. No worries.

Comment

Working...
              X