kidney failure and gout - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

kidney failure and gout

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kidney failure and gout

I have recently been diagnosed with fourth stage esrd. Had a biopsy that indicated renal faliure was due to gout. I am wondering if there are others with this diagnosis and what your experiences have been.

gout

The last time I went to the nephrologist he asked me if i'd ever had gout. I wondered why he asked me that but didn't pursue it further. I've never had gout that I know of and am not really sure what it is. The next time I go I'll ask him why he asked me that. Just thought it was weird.

Comment

Gout

I'm not sure why your DR. asked that, although I can tell you that gout flare-ups are caused by uric acid which forms a type of crystal that attaches to our joints. In order to stop the flare-ups our body must rid itself of those uric acid crystals. So i'm thinking since the kidneys clean out our system that those crystals affect it.
      Of course lets not forget that one of the drugs that is used to cure gout is PREDNISONE which is an steroid. I resently found out that cortisone which is also a steroid (that has been used for gout on me personally) can demage the kidney. Ofcourse high doses of steroids is what damages the kidneys.
      I'm a diabetic and have battled with gout flare-up throughout the years. I no longer use prednisone (thank goodness). I have admit that at one time prednisone was a miracle drug for gout for me, it was the only thing that really worked............but man the side affects! Being diabetic it really took a toll on my sugars, and the moodswings, the puffy face, it increased my appetite. But, at the time of the gout attack all those side affects were minor compared to the pain of gout.
      Sorry I got a bit carried away with the subject.
      Marina

Comment

I have gout and I am lucky I haven't had a flare up in about two years. When I had my first attack, it took about three weeks to get rid of it completely. My doctor gave me medicine (don't remember what it was called but I know it was a steriod) he was very cautious about it do to having slight kidney problems. I would then after that get a flare up about once a month. My doctor gave me the steriods one more time after that but since I was having them so often he stopped the steriod because of the kidneys and just told me to keep my foot up for a day or so and for the pain take tylenol. So that worked.

I also have heart problems as well so I have to see a Cardiologist on a regular basis. He was also concerned about my kidneys and the fact I have gout. He prescribed Alluprinol, I take this on a daily basis and it keeps my uric acid level down in my blood stream. and my Kidney doctor is ok with me taking it, so I am taking his word that it is a safe drug for my gout.

It makes sense that I have it due to the fact I only have 24% kidney function.

Comment

Foot and leg pain

My 81 year old father-in-law has been on dialysis for more than two years and is complaining of moderate to severe pain in both feet and legs up to the knee. Is dialysis causing this? His wife rubs him down in AsperCreme but that is no longer offering any relief. We are looking for some help!

Comment

Gout

I have ckd. Have about 30 % kidney function. Not on dialysis yet. Also have gout. Have had it for several years. Have taken allopurinol for some time to keep uric acid down. I have not had a serious attack for sometime. Allopurinol seems to work fine and it is not a steroid. I think gout and kidney problems must be somehow connected. I have polycystic kidneys.

Comment

I am new to this sight, I don't know where to post a new thread, but I also was diagnosed with uric acid and have been complaining to my doctors of joint pains for quite sometime and I also found out last week that I have a defienciency in vitamin d 25 hydroxy, my neuphroligist that I have had for 2 years skipped on me, so now I have a new one. My createnine went up from 1.8 to 2.1 in three months and my new doctor tells me that I'm am now in stage four and I should look to be on dyalisis within the next year, he said it has to do with your age and weight and sex. Now I have a dilemma, I had brain anyurism last year it was repaired with coils and it is now time to get a angiogram with contrast to see if the coils are still intact, I'm scared to death, I don't know what to do. My father was on dialysis, he went through hell for three years, I don't think that is what I want to do, I want to prolong my life as is as long as I can. I have had four surgeries in the last 12 months and now I'm facing this crainal angio, I don't know what to do about this contrast. I'm sorry for interrupting this thread, I don't know where to post. Sorry for my spelling and grammar, my first language is Italian

Comment

Yolanda, unless I am mistaken, I thought a createnine level of 2.1 was only Stage 3??'
                I'm about the same, and just found a book that sounds interesting: "Coping with Kidney Disease, a 12 step program to help you avoid dialysis" by Mackenzie Walser, MD.
                I just bought it, and while more technical than I like, it appears to have a lot of good info..
                When I beat cancer 30 years ago, I read a lot of positive books on the subject, and did a lot of healing mental imagery/meditation/prayer and worked at being a positive contributor to my own cure. Time for me, and you, to get on that positive band wagon again.
                Best Wishes to you! Ted in Bend, Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by mjd
                  I have recently been diagnosed with fourth stage esrd. Had a biopsy that indicated renal faliure was due to gout. I am wondering if there are others with this diagnosis and what your experiences have been.
                  my father had severe gout for many years and finaly died of polycystic kidney disease at age 67. i didnt know there was a connection between the two as well.

Comment

Gout identification?

I have been on Hemo dialysis now for nearly 8 years come September. I was Diagnosed with ESRD with total failure in September of 1999 and have had Type I diabetes since 1976.

I have had what seems to be described by those here in this forum thread as Gout but recently I have been having severe outbreaks of this.. a simple walk to the mailbox and back and my legs are swollen red, inflamed and very painful even with my Neuropathy as it is.

I will link 2 pictures of my right and left leg because what I am finding on the net varies so greatly I cannot be sure.

http://images1.filecloud.com/541895/Picture%20001.jpg
                    http://images1.filecloud.com/541897/Picture%20002.jpg

Pictures are of my inner left and inner right leg, the swelling and redness becomes more sparatic the closer to my knee it gets but does not go above the knee.

I have seen some mention of certain Steroids and in the past I have taken them for other things like Bells Palsy with disasterous results to my bloodsugars.. 900+ range in a controlled hospital enviornment.

I also have late stage cardio vascular disease and dozens of stents from the diabetes.. so treatment alternatives are going to have to be a cautious step.. I just wish to get a proper identification on what I have since the Doctors keep failing to want to worry about it.. at least this time i have the picture of a flareup which like this they take upto 5 weeks to go away..

Comment

Kidney Disease and Gout

Originally posted by mjd View Post
                      I was diagnosed with UMAK, Uromodulin Associated Kidney Diesase, it is a form of kidney disease that is hereditary. Dr. Blyer at Wake Forest University in North Carolina is researching families with this condition. They have found the gene that causes the kidney disease. My mother was diagnosed about 10 years ago and out of 6 children 4 of us have the disease. You can not skip a generation, you either have it or you don't. I am presently at stage 4 and have been put on the waiting list for a kidney tranasplant. You can log onto the below site and get more information as well as a site that will help you get tested. I don't know where you live, but they are testing those in NC and surrounding areas free of charge. Bessings.

http://www1.wfubmc.edu/nephrology/Go...ney%2BDisease/

Comment

Reply on gout

Dear MJD;
                        It is more likely that the gout is caused by the advanced kidney disease.
                        It is caused when the kidneys can no longer clean enough uric acid out of you system and
                        it builds up. Gout is a form of arthritis. It forms in the joints as uric acid crystals.
                        Your can take medication to lower the uric acid levels, you can modify your diet to lower them. I am on allopurinol. When I first started on it I was on prednisone at the same time.
                        Once I stopped the prednisone, I had an allergic reaction to the allopurinol. I have gone thru a de-sensitization program to de-sensitize me to the allopurinol. I have done this thru
                        my Rhumatologist. Since gout is a form of arthritis, and the fact that I am in stage 4 ESRD, my nephrologist felt it would be better handled by the Rhumatologist in conjunction
                        with the nephrologist.
                        I also have started taking Black Cherry suppliments from a healthfood store, and drinking
                        black cherry juice daily. Dark red-blue fruits are supposed to help with gout. I asked my
                        Rhumatologist if it was ok to take, and he said it was, but he did not think it would help.
                        I certainly did help, especially whild I was going thru the desensitization program. I had been on mega doses of prednisone so many times. I worried about the effects of that as well. I am now in the third week of the desensitization program, and next week will actually be taking the 100mg allopurinol pills. About two weeks into taking the Black Cherry suppliments and juice, my gout went away, and has not returned since. Thank God. I would not wish it on my worst enemy.
                        There is a lot of info on the web regarding homeopathic remedies for gout. You should always check with your doctor before taking anything though. Cherry is high in potassium
                        so if you have to watch your potassium you definately need to check with your doctor.
                        I do have to watch my potassium, however if it helps keep the gout at bay without having
                        to take prednisone, I guess it is a 50-50 tradeoff. If potassium gets too high, there are
                        meds you can take to lower it, as well as watching your dietary consumption. Lots of info
                        on the web, check it out. Good Luck, Lin

Comment

Gout can be a symptom of kidney disease but is not the root cause of it. I learned that the hard way. Gout without kidney disease is normally found in people that eat very rich foods all the time. Millionaires are the central target of types of people with Gout since they can afford to eat fine, rich foods all the time. If you are eating normal and have Gout, chances are its due to lowered kidney function and should immediately see a nephrologist. On another note, some people believe that steroids such as prednisone will damage your kidneys. It may if the dosage is extremely high. I say that because people that have kidney transplants are put on a regiment of anibolic steroids such as predisone and have to take it every day. Its what gives the kidney tranplant receipient the look of chubby cheeks and without it, the transplanted kidney would not last for very long. Along with anibolic steroids, kidney tranplantees have to take immunosuppresants so that the bodys immune system doesnt kill the transplanted kidney off. So if you have major swelling localized only to the feet, ankle area of your body and nowhere else AND eat normally and the doctor diagnoses it as gout, I would get a second opinion from a nephrologists. Chances are, the doctor is seeing a symtom instead of a cause.

|_arry

Comment

Re: kidney failure and gout

Gout
                            PDF Version of this Document | Audio Version of this Document | Time: 09:06 | Size: 8.5 MB

Publication Date: March 2005
                            Revised March 2007

What Is Gout?
                            Fast Facts: An Easy-to-Read Series of Publications for the Public
                            What Is Gout?
                            Gout is one of the most painful forms of arthritis. It occurs when too much uric acid builds up in the body. The buildup of uric acid can lead to:

Sharp uric acid crystal deposits in joints, often in the big toe
                            Deposits of uric acid (called tophi) that look like lumps under the skin
                            Kidney stones from uric acid crystals in the kidneys.
                            For many people, the first attack of gout occurs in the big toe. Often, the attack wakes a person from sleep. The toe is very sore, red, warm, and swollen.

Gout can cause:

Pain
                            Swelling
                            Redness
                            Heat
                            Stiffness in joints.
                            In addition to the big toe, gout can affect the:

Insteps
                            Ankles
                            Heels
                            Knees
                            Wrists
                            Fingers
                            Elbows.
                            A gout attack can be brought on by stressful events, alcohol or drugs, or another illness. Early attacks usually get better within 3 to 10 days, even without treatment. The next attack may not occur for months or even years.

What Causes Gout?
                            How Is Gout Diagnosed?
                            How Is Gout Treated?
                            What Can People With Gout Do to Stay Healthy?
                            What Research Is Being Done on Gout?

What Causes Gout?
                            Gout is caused by the buildup of too much uric acid in the body. Uric acid comes from the breakdown of substances called purines. Purines are found in all of your body's tissues. They are also in many foods, such as liver, dried beans and peas, and anchovies.

Normally, uric acid dissolves in the blood. It passes through the kidneys and out of the body in urine. But uric acid can build up in the blood when:

The body increases the amount of uric acid it makes.
                            The kidneys do not get rid of enough uric acid.
                            A person eats too many foods high in purines.
                            When uric acid levels in the blood are high, it is called hyperuricemia. Most people with hyperuricemia do not develop gout. But if excess uric acid crystals form in the body, gout can develop.

You are more likely to have gout if you:

Have family members with the disease
                            Are a man
                            Are overweight
                            Drink too much alcohol
                            Eat too many foods rich in purines
                            Have an enzyme defect that makes it hard for the body to break down purines
                            Are exposed to lead in the environment
                            Have had an organ transplant
                            Use some medicines such as diuretics, aspirin, cyclosporine, or levodopa
                            Take the vitamin niacin.
                            How Is Gout Diagnosed?
                            Your doctor will ask about your symptoms, medical history, and family history of gout. Signs and symptoms of gout include:

Hyperuricemia (high level of uric acid in the blood)
                            Uric acid crystals in joint fluid
                            More than one attack of acute arthritis
                            Arthritis that develops in 1 day, producing a swollen, red, and warm joint
                            Attack of arthritis in only one joint, usually the toe, ankle, or knee.
                            To confirm a diagnosis of gout, your doctor may draw a sample of fluid from an inflamed joint to look for crystals associated with gout.

How Is Gout Treated?
                            Doctors use medicines to treat an acute attack of gout, including:

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
                            Corticosteroids, such as prednisone
                            Colchicine, which works best when taken within the first 12 hours of an acute attack.
                            Sometimes doctors prescribe NSAIDs or colchicine in small daily doses to prevent future attacks. There are also medicines that lower the level of uric acid in the blood.

What Can People With Gout Do to Stay Healthy?
                            Some things that you can do to stay healthy are:

Take the medicines your doctor prescribes as directed.
                            Tell your doctor about all the medicines and vitamins you take.
                            Plan followup visits with your doctor.
                            Maintain a healthy, balanced diet. Avoid foods that are high in purines, and drink plenty of water.
                            Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy body weight. Ask your doctor about how to lose weight safely. Fast or extreme weight loss can increase uric acid levels in the blood.
                            What Research Is Being Done on Gout?
                            Scientists are studying:

Which NSAIDs are the most effective treatments for gout
                            Optimal dosages of medications for gout
                            New medicines that safely lower uric acid in the blood and reduce symptoms
                            New therapies that block a chemical called tumor necrosis factor
                            Enzymes that break down purines in the body
                            The role of foods and certain vitamins
                            The role of genetics and environmental factors
                            The interactions of cells involved in acute gout attacks.
                            Scientists are also studying the role of genetics and environmental factors in hyperuricemia and gout.

For More Information on Gout and Other Related Conditions:
                            National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS)
                            Information Clearinghouse
                            National Institutes of Health
                            1 AMS Circle
                            Bethesda, MD 20892-3675
                            Phone: 301-495-4484
                            Toll Free: 877-22-NIAMS (226-4267)
                            TTY: 301–565–2966
                            Fax: 301-718-6366
                            Email: NIAMSinfo@mail.nih.gov

Alot of these other post are right on, I thought I would add this cause I like to research stuff
                            MdGuyS~
                            http://slelupuskarenguy.com

Comment

Re: kidney failure and gout

My cousin is suffering from high uric acid..Last time when She went for check up, it came out to be 9 i guess. Doctor adviced not to have cereals etc..Now she has started getting pain in her legs, specially in the middle and in the fingers of the hand..Some one told her that she may be suffering from gout.. Guys is that so, because we are scared.

Comment

Working...
                              X