Nocturnal Pros and Cons - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nocturnal Pros and Cons

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dgromley View Post
    Hi, My name is Dawn. I am a dialysis social worker and my clinic is going to be starting a nocturnal program soon. I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you that are involved in the program so I can share the information with my patients. Thanks!
    Hi Dawn.. My name is Maria and I do nocturnal dialysis at the clinic in Celebration, Fl... To a lot of my companions in the clinic including myself the pros and cons are very easy... Pros: slower treatment, you sleep the whole time your there, have more time to work during the day or be with your family in the day time, live longer, can have more fluid removed.. The Cons: long hours on a chair, have to use headphones to watch tv so your tv noise doesn't bother your neighbor, sometimes the clinic runs out of Benadryl ( that's what we get to help us fall asleep).... And like I've said other times there are more pros than cons.... Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by dgromley View Post
      Hi, My name is Dawn. I am a dialysis social worker and my clinic is going to be starting a nocturnal program soon. I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you that are involved in the program so I can share the information with my patients. Thanks!
      Hello Dawn, My name is Jillian and I started nocturnal dialysis about 8 months ago and love ❤ it. I am 36 yrs. old and was diagnosed with kidney disease at 6 1/2 months old. I have been on peritoneal dialysis, in-center hemo-dialysis, and have had 3 kidney transplants. Nocturnal has been a great blessing to me. Dialyzing for longer hours is gentler on the body therefore, when I wake up I don't have the washed-out feeling.
      When I went (many years) for regular day time in-center dialysis, I felt weak, tired, nauseous and overall like crap lol! My labs were horrible for example: Phosphorus was always over 10 which put me at risk for calcium deposits on my organs turning them to stone, potassium was high which was in danger of heart attack, my blood pressures were like 220/135 all the time with 4 Bp meds
      Since nocturnal I no longer take phosphorus binders and now my phosphorus is (2.2 best of whole clinic) I am on 1 blood pressure pill and pressures average about 160/88,
      Basically, for me it like a whole 360 change for the better. I can talk to fellow patients and staff, then read or watch tv, then I eat my dinner and then I receive benedryl to help me relax and sleep. I believe once people know about this, it can be a life saver. I am able to pretty soon start school or work or both. 😊 My energy level is amazing. I thank God everyday and hope that word gets out about this life saving treatment option.

Comment

my main concern about nocturnal dialysis is being able to sleep- i still produce alot of urine and it is really tough holding for the hours that i am on regular hemodialysis, how would this work with nocturnal- the techs no dot seem to like being asked to unhook you if you have to go to the bathroom and i hold it until i feel my blader is about to explode at times- how would this work on nocturnal dialysis?

Comment

Well, they could catheterise you....

Comment

I would love to see a program such as this with a program ending just around 6am. I feel that it would be great. I really want Hemo at my home, but I do not want to over my wife.

Comment

Hi..my name is Pam. I have been doing nocturnal dialysis for 4 weeks now and at first I loved it. The staff is wonderful and care is more personalized since it is always same techs and nurses. The slower pull also is much easier on my body. Unfortunately, I now experience terrible leg cramps and Charley horses in my feet and legs that I dread the last 2 hrs of treatment. My dry weight has been adjusted twice but nothing helps. I think my body just doesn't like being in one position for 7 hours. Also, I don't sleep since my needles are close to my wrist, it is hard to get comfortable without setting off machine. I hate to switch back to days but I may have to do so soon. I'm also still working full-time. Most people in my center love nocturnal dialysis so don't let my opinion scare you.

Comment

I tried nocturnal, but the center I was at didn't make it very comfortable, the lights were never turned down low enough and there was constant noise, I could't sleep even if I wanted to I switched back to days and I'm much happier

Comment

Hi all,
                  My name is Bill and I'm going to nocturnal dialysis for the time being, due to having a chest catheter. I'll be able to use my fistula in a few weeks... I hope.
                  Anyway, I'm having trouble sleeping. My work is pretty cool about occasionally coming in late so I can sleep in. I go home and sleep for a few hours, post-session, before going in to work. Most times, those few hours are all the sleep I get.

I can't sleep at the center, even with headphones and my hoodie pulled over my head to block the light. They do turn the lights down at 10:00, and aside from the machines, there's not a lot of noise.

The big issue is that my legs get restless. I'm not sure if it's actually restless leg syndrome. It's not painful or severe, but enough to keep me awake. I can't seem to get comfortable, so I shift and move around a lot. My doctor gave me an anti-depressant to help me relax, but it's not enough. I can't take anything with diphedhydromine (Benadryl, Zzzquil, etc.) because it has the opposite effect on me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

My feeling about nocturnal: If you are the type of person who can sleep on a moving subway car, then it might work for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X