Getting off of Dialysis - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting off of Dialysis

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting off of Dialysis

I have been researching what is known as residual renal function. 2% of people on Dialysis are able to stop doing dialysis after their kidneys have had a chance to rest and regroup so to speak. I know 2% is not a lot, but if your blood pressure is super low after dialysis, and you experience severe cramps, these are symptoms that your kidneys might be working better. Ask to have your residual renal function checked. You might not need to be on dialysis or your treatment duration or number of days of treatment might need to be adjusted.

When you are on dialysis, how would you know at what level your kidneys are functioning at if you are never tested? Even a rise in GFR to 20, which means that your kidneys are doing 20% of the job they are supposed to be doing, means you could be off of dialysis for awhile.

Even if 2% of the patients on the list for transplants did not need to even be on the list that would be a blessing.
    Last edited by Loganwon; 10-12-2015, 10:03 PM.

That is possible?

Comment

Some people, a very small percentage, have gotten off of dialysis after having been on dialysis for over a year.

Comment

...and probably go back on dialysis after a few months......

Comment

Even a few months of a break would be greatly appreciated, one would think.

Comment

What I do know is this may be possible with PD…but not as often with Hemo, as hemo really does wipe out all function for good I've read…it is pretty permanant.

People do go on and come off..it is RARE..so maybe rad in PUBMED to see if there are any studies with FACTS..not just HOPE this is true.

anyone would love to think this…but don't get too excited yet.ok? keep learning

Comment

I've been conducting 5X and 4X weekly HHD treatments for over 3 years and still have plenty of residual kidney function (PKD). My weekly treatment schedule permits me to see the effects of taking off two days in succession - my BP elevates somewhat and my weight increases from the fluid retention. During that two day stretch I will produce far more urine than I do during my 5X or 4X stretch of treatments. Outside of these "symptoms" I experience no other changes in energy, appetite, sleep, etc. I'm confident however, that if I were to stop treating, fluid retention and blood toxicity would quickly lead to all the physical symptoms associated with ESRD. Before I started HHD my creatinine was in the high 6's and GFR around 9, and I had no physical symptoms beyond anemia. Without regular dialysis, I would quickly return to high creatine and low GFR and all of the symptoms that go with those values.

Comment

When I started dialysis ( 2 months now) my GFR was 4 and my creatinine was in 6's. Now my GFR is13 and creatinine is low 5's. I am shooting for GFR back to mid 20's and creatinine in 3's or 2's. I also raised my hemoglobin back to a normal range (15.2) which is rare for people on dialysis. I can't mention how I did that because that would constitute selling a product.

What I am really trying to point out is that nephrologists have no incentive for people to improve their actual kidney function. They treat people as though dialysis is the only alternative besides a transplant. For the vast majority of patients they see this is true. But if they would start trying to raise people's GFR when they are in stage 3 and 4 instead of just "managing" their condition some people might avoid dialysis all together.

GFR rates are not static and can go back up, I know from personal experience, mine went from 16 back to 37 in 2 months last year. That is a status change from stage 4 (very near ESRD) back to a stage 3. I did a 5 day water fast and my kidney function improved dramatically. I know this would not work for everyone. I am just tired of nephrologists not trying every form of treatment and diet and just want to use drugs or surgery to fix people. There are some alternative treatments and lifestyle changes that will improve kidney function which in turn lessens the amount of dialysis needed to keep one healthy.

Comment

That's nice Loganwon. Can you suggest some ways to improve kidney function while on dialysis?
                  Quality Urgent Care San Antonio

Comment

Originally posted by RickyTroy View Post
                    That's nice Loganwon. Can you suggest some ways to improve kidney function while on dialysis?
                    From my experience it seems to be easier on my kidneys when I drink my protein (whey is best In my opinion) my kidneys process it easier because it is broken down into it's most digestible form. Also eating 5 - 6 small meals per day instead of 3 bigger ones. Anything that keeps your blood sugar level more stable also seems to help out your kidneys..

Comment

Maybe if kidney was in shock (reversible) instead of having kidney disease (irreversible)?

Comment

You're right because a friend of mines was in ESRD and with diet following her Nephologist advice she's at stage 2 today. Before she was terrible sick but has recovered.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFlorida View Post
                          Maybe if kidney was in shock (reversible) instead of having kidney disease (irreversible)?
                          That is the difference between acute and chronic. Acute kidney failure can be "recovered" from with your kidneys going back to near where they were before, chronic as in Chronic Kidney Disease is not reversible.

Comment

Originally posted by Loganwon View Post
                            That is the difference between acute and chronic. Acute kidney failure can be "recovered" from with your kidneys going back to near where they were before, chronic as in Chronic Kidney Disease is not reversible.
                            It's important to realize that the damage done to the kidneys due to acute kidney failure is irreversible. The numbers may improve but once the damage is done it's permanent.
                            May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
                            Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Working...
                            X