Just had PD cathered inserted. I have a ? Please help! - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just had PD cathered inserted. I have a ? Please help!

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just had PD cathered inserted. I have a ? Please help!

    I had my PD catherer placed on feb 26 My first flush was three days later (on friday). It all went very well. I had my next flushing sceduled for the following Thursday, but was unable to make it, so I called the PD nurse to see if I could go on friday. She said she couln't of Friday, so I asked her if I could go on Monday. She said she'd call me back, but hasn't yet.

    Now, I have an app with the surgeon on tuesday for my check up, so I doubt I can be flushed that day. It won't be on monday either.

    So my question is, how long can someone go between flushings without complications? What could happen if I wait to much?

    I'm really worried about this, please reply!

  • #2
    My husband has been on pd for over a year and for me the first few months were very stressful and scary, but our nurse got us through it with all the help we could have wanted. I think you should keep calling until you get someone. Don't worry about bothering them, it's their job. Just keep calling. I have found out though that everything I worried about was usually for no reason...but we were lucky with always having our calls answered immediately. Call every number you have till you get someone that can answer your question.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you Donna. Yes, it is stessful and scary. I feel like jumping out of my skin!

      I'm glad to read that your husand is doing well on PD!

      Is there anyone out there who can tell me how long is safe to go between flushes

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by newbie View Post
        I had my PD catherer placed on feb 26 My first flush was three days later (on friday). It all went very well. I had my next flushing sceduled for the following Thursday, but was unable to make it, so I called the PD nurse to see if I could go on friday. She said she couln't of Friday, so I asked her if I could go on Monday. She said she'd call me back, but hasn't yet.

        Now, I have an app with the surgeon on tuesday for my check up, so I doubt I can be flushed that day. It won't be on monday either.

        So my question is, how long can someone go between flushings without complications? What could happen if I wait to much?

        I'm really worried about this, please reply!
        i don't think you have to worry about it. i got mine placed last january and didn't get flushed till 2 weeks later. the flushing is just to make sure your catheter is working and not clogged up with fibrin. it's usually common after surgery to clogged up that's why they to flush it out. but since you said the first schedule went well, i dont think you have to worry about it anymore. they'll probably start training you with manual exchange for your next visit. hope that answers your question.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mrh1726 View Post
          i don't think you have to worry about it. i got mine placed last january and didn't get flushed till 2 weeks later. the flushing is just to make sure your catheter is working and not clogged up with fibrin. it's usually common after surgery to clogged up that's why they to flush it out. but since you said the first schedule went well, i dont think you have to worry about it anymore. they'll probably start training you with manual exchange for your next visit. hope that answers your question.
          It does! Thank you mrh!

          Comment


          • #6
            Newbie..Hi. I'm a new PD patient too, and as you've been on dialysis for a few months now, I wanted to ask how things were going? Hope everything is OK.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sharchik View Post
              Newbie..Hi. I'm a new PD patient too, and as you've been on dialysis for a few months now, I wanted to ask how things were going? Hope everything is OK.
              Hi. Honestly, I didn't do too well with Hemo, but I'm now on pd (two weeks). I'm having troubl with the schedule, but other than that, I'm doing fine. But I can't wait to start on the cycler!

              Still, this is so much better for me than hemo!

              Comment

              Back to Top
              Working...
              X