What was your GFR when you started dialysis? - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your GFR when you started dialysis?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your GFR when you started dialysis?

I'm just trying to look for some kind of consensus for myself I guess.. I don't want to start dialysis, but I don't want to continue to feel crappy day after day.... so...

1. What was your GFR at the time your dialysis treatment began?
    2. What symptoms were you experiencing/why did the nephrologist decide that was the time to start?

1) 5, although we had previously learned that the GFR blood test always showed low for myself, so my true GFR was probably a bit below 10.

2) Occasional nausea, headaches, loss of concentration. My elevated potassium was the deciding factor.

Comment

My GFR was at a stage 3 or 4 CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease) GFR 29 - 25 on average for over 10 years. My kidneys finally could not control my creatinine levels and I started on dialysis. I went from 286 lbs back to my normal 245 lbs in 4 days after starting dialysis. I have a lot of muscle mass and workout daily, however my kidneys were damaged and I had to start on dialysis. After starting dialysis I felt 20 years younger again right away.

Dialysis is not the end of your life, being on dialysis does not mean you failed somehow. What it does do is help your kidneys last longer which is a very good thing. If your kidneys are in bad shape you might need a kidney transplant. Kidney failure can kill you, dialysis saves your life ever time you do it. Good luck and have a Great Christmas!

Comment

I started HHD training and with it hemodialysis with a GFR of 9. I had no physical or mental symptoms at the time I started dialysis and probably could have held off for several more months. I had committed to a training start time in mid-July 2012 back in May 2012 and I held to my commitment.

My care partner and I have fully assimilated the requirements of home hemodialysis. It has enabled me to continue working a demanding full time job that involves week long business travel to single destinations where I can treat nocturnally in our hotel room and work normal/extended business hours.

Comment

I read your messages here and they give me hope. My son will be headed to dialysis soon according to his dr. His gfr is at 23, he feels fine no symptoms at all. He is 39 and the ckd is the result of diabetes since the age of 20. We are terrified. I try to keep my game face on for him and be reassuring. He on the other hand sees it as an end to his life. I feel so helpless. He doesn't want to discuss it at all. I on the other hand am here trying to learn and read as much as i possibly can. Of course i find myself mostly looking for encouraging statements. Hoping maybe he isnt that close to starting dialysis. I just feel lost, scared, and totally alone.

Comment

Originally posted by mikies_mom View Post
            I read your messages here and they give me hope. My son will be headed to dialysis soon according to his dr. His gfr is at 23, he feels fine no symptoms at all. He is 39 and the ckd is the result of diabetes since the age of 20. We are terrified. I try to keep my game face on for him and be reassuring. He on the other hand sees it as an end to his life. I feel so helpless. He doesn't want to discuss it at all. I on the other hand am here trying to learn and read as much as i possibly can. Of course i find myself mostly looking for encouraging statements. Hoping maybe he isnt that close to starting dialysis. I just feel lost, scared, and totally alone.
            Hi mikies_mom, I'm so sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis. These forums are a great place for people to connect, especially with others who share their connection to kidney disease. I'm sure you will be able to find support from others going through the same thing. Kidney Smart classes can also be great tools to learn more about kidney disease and how to find support. You can find a Kidney Smart class in your area here: http://bit.ly/1LjgVbx. I hope this helps and please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about myDaVita tools or resources! Thank you. Your community manager, Kelsey.

Comment

Working...
            X