X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing your fluid intake

I am tired... I have been on dialysis for 6 months and I am tired... for the past two weeks I go in and half way through treatment, my blood pressure starts to drop significan'ty to where thy have to stop the machine from taking fluids from me.I am limited to only 32 ounces of fluids a day.. it's killing me.
    for someone that likes to drink water all day.. I've had to make some big changes. I feel horrible.. nauseaus, weak, anxious. Does anyone else go through this? I know I can't be the only one. I'm going out of my mind. I try to stay positive, but it is so hard. Help...

Hi, sorry I don't know about the water intake,
    I'm not on dialysis.
    Just wondering if your thyroid( if this is out of whack, weight, tired happens), vitamins and minerals are in balance, also your protein level. Can you see a dietitian for a diet plan to help you with your energy? Exercise like walking is good for anxiety and depression...I do that. , but I do understand going out of my mind and pulling my hair! Best to you!

Comment

I went through the same thing when I started on dialysis (2 years ago). I was a person who drank a gallon or more of water each day, was anemic to start with, and totally crashed into dialysis. I have found ways to "trick" myself to stay at the 32 oz. I will fill a 16 oz glass with crushed ice (knowing that it will melt to a total of 8 oz.) . I will also add liquid protein to my water to make it do double duty!
      It took about 8 months for my bp to settle down, once that happened my 3x week runs became much easier! In other words, ride out this storm, there is a rainbow on the other side.

Comment

I have a 12 oz cup of coffee at breakfast. I use apple sauce to take my meds. I will have a couple spoons of applesauce throughout the day instead of water or other fluid.

Comment

Sounds like you need to drink more water....

Comment

It takes awhile to get things right . Things like dry wieght being to low machine setting wrong there are 100 different setting they can set the machine on also medication they can give to raise your bp. The world will not come to an end if you drink more than 32 oz just try

Comment

That was me in the beginning too! I still make urine so I am able to drink more but it took a while to get that all figured out. If you really only can have 32 ounces a day try a spray bottle with water in it and spray your mouth to keep it moist. That helped me a lot in the early days.

Comment

I went through the same things when I started 5 years ago and still go through it. But the main thing is the dizziness I go through after treatment they ( the doctors) are trying to figure out what is going on. I don't eat like I used to and I went from 195 lbs to126 lbs as far as fluids I drink what I want because I still make urine my suggestion to you is talk with your dietary counselor to help you out. You are in my prayers good luck and I hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                X