X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein level

My protein level is consistently low. Is there anything I can do to change my diet or induce a supplement to increase it’s level?
    J. D. M.
    jdm4@me.com

If your a meat eater, maybe try to eat more meat. You can try protein bars, but do have to be wary of the extra carbs in those and phosphorus. There are protein drinks or you can try to find some protein powders you can mix in drinks and whatnot (again check phosphorus).

Comment

Fish and chicken.

Comment

I'm trying to find out why low albumin is a bad thing. High is bad, it's called albuminuria. But I've not been able to find anything about why low albumin is a problem. My level is consistently low, even when I've stuffed myself with protein supplements and foods. And didn't drop when I backed off. Anyone know why it's so important?

Comment

You can Google : Hypoalbuminemia, that's what it's called. Or you can google : low albumin and dialysis.

Comment

As your Dr for help.

Comment

Here are some protein bars that are low in potassium and phosphorus, Pure Protein Bars & Zone Protein Bars. Also, the protein powder that are good are the organic plant based, you can make a smoothie with frozen berries to help with loss of protein from dialysis. Hope this helps!

Comment

My protein level keeps going down since I started PD. I'm eating 10 oz. of protein a day and getting hormone shot to stimulate RBC along with a vial of iron.
                I understand protein is absorbed by the dextrose solution during the PD process. I try to spread out the consumption of protein throughout the day. Protein bars, like Zone have about 1/2 oz of protein and they're about 250 calories. I'm diabetic 2 and my A1C has gone from 5.8 to 6.1 in the first month of PD. I started PD March 30, 2018

Comment

My dietitian turned me on to a product called Liquicel. It has 16 grams of protein per ounce and only 2mg of Phosphorus. It helped get my protein level up over 4 while keeping my phosphorus at a normal level. I really like the lemonade flavor over crushed ice!

Comment

Hemo or PD?
                    You really need to get on top of this. Consistently low albumin levels are not a good sign. We’re talking high mortality rates for people with sliding albumin.
                    Double your protein intake, pound your phos binders. Get some vegetable based protein powder, toss in some mixed berries and half n half in the morning for a smoothie. You heard me half n half, for dairy higher fat gets you lower sugar, higher protein, lower lactose, lower phos.
                    See if you’re Neph can prescribe you some protein bars. I know patients in my Davita Clinic who get a protein bar to eat during thier run.
                    They are these... if you can get them prescribed buy em, if you can’t afford to buy them, make them.
                    ZonePerfect Nutrition Snack Bars, Strawberry Yogurt, 1.76 oz, (12 Count) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DRANT3U..._GPLpEvYJyX2PE
                    How are your phos and calcium levels? What is your dry weight? Height? What’s your run time? BFR? What kind of filter are you on? And are you eating enough protein? It sounds to me like you think you’re not.
                    Let me know, I’ll do what I can to help you.
                    But note, I’m not a doctor, I’m Renalologist jk!
                    My thoughts are you may be over dialysing, your filter maybe the wrong type, and your diet is off. Without looking at your numbers and info it’s hard to say.
                    You can reach me at
                    renalology @gmail.com FB and Twitter purely patient to patient advice. My POV is strong self advocacy, patients sharing knowledge mixed with humor.
                    Last edited by egorey1; 07-04-2018, 05:23 AM.

Comment

It seems humanly impossible to get 100mg protein/day!!! Even with egg white dishes, egg white and protein powder smoothies and liiquicell daily. It doesn't add up to 100mg. What else can be done. Jeesh!!

Comment

I personally take 2 Nuhealth Super Albumin supplements once a day, I had great albumin levels for a long time 4.2 plus, then for whatever reason they started to slide and as they slid they snowballed as they got below 3.6 I lost my appetite and couldn't eat right so it just kept dropping, I couldn't stomach the bars or shakes, I took the supplements, which are basically egg whites and it went back up to 4.0 from 3.2 in a matter of about 3 months total.

Comment

Working...
                        X