X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work and PD

I've been on PD for six months now. I'm 48 years old. It's very up and down for me. I am sick about 2 weeks out of the month (extreme fatigue and nausea). I was fortunate to have a job where my boss was supportive and allowed me to miss work when I was sick. This had a very detrimental effect on my mental health. I constantly felt guilty that I could not do my job to the best of my ability. I was laid off (supposedly nothing to do with my illness), and am now trying to figure out if it's fair to me or a potential employer to get a new job. I definitely want to go back to work, as I don't want to live in poverty. Is it common for someone on PD to be sick so much? I know I'm chronically ill and am very sick, but I was told that I would be able to work with relatively little problems given that I am very healthy otherwise. I take care of myself extremely well. The only labs that are bad still are my creatinine and BUN, everything else is in tip top shape, except BP. My KT/V is always good, yet I still feel lousy a lot. My blood pressure is always very high in the mornings, I have been adjusting bp meds now for about 10 years now and its still high. I am currently on 5 bp meds, which don't work. Cardiologists are good for throwing a litany of drugs at you, but actually finding out what the root cause of high bp, they are useless. I follow a strict diet to the letter, I honestly can't imagine anyone eating a more healthy dialysis diet than I do. I am 6'1" and 205 with not an ounce of fat on me. Of course I don't drink or smoke. When I feel good, I exercise 4-5 times a week very vigorously (I can run 10-15 miles with very little problem). I look great, people tell me that they've never seen me look so good. I just feel like utter death half the time. I really don't feel my dialysis clinic is doing what they can to make it work for me. They are a bit unresponsive and don't seem to have any sense of urgency in adjusting my treatment. My UF's and draining seem to be the problem. I can only imagine that the excess dialysate in my gut that doesn't get drained gets re-absorbed and is like a concentrated form of waste products that make me ill. Not sure if this is the case, but it seems like it could be. I don't want to return to hemodialysis because I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack every session. So my questions are: Do I go back to work and hope that my treatments get better so that I'm not sick so often? Do I need to go to a different clinic that will put a little more effort in my wellness? Is this the best I can expect to feel on PD, and just accept that I cannot work and file for disability? Do I go back to hemo? So confused right now.
    Last edited by lexwards777; 09-12-2017, 12:55 PM.

Maybe try hemo? I'm 56, been on dialysis 2.5 years, work full time, and cycle about 50 miles each week in the summer, and XC ski in the winter.

Comment

I've been on PD for a year and I have been able to work. Before starting PD, I was feeling exactly like you described. Now I am generally tired but no where near where I was. I think that what you are experiencing is not normal and you need to talk to your dr. Maybe the timing for PD is off. maybe there is an other issue....but talk to them

Comment

Working...
      X