Would anyone want to share their story with me? - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would anyone want to share their story with me?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, here goes....I was diagnosed with Kidney Disease 12 years ago, I was 50 - after having a kidney biopsy it was determined it was not related to my Type 1 Diabetes, it was renal sarcoidosis....my nephrologist who I used was so awesome - she was up front and gave me lots of information. I am the kind of patient who knows, researches, asks a ton of questions. She told me it was not a matter of if I started dialysis but when I start dialysis. I moved to Florida 2 years ago from CT, found a great nephrologist - you need to question and find someone you feel comfortable with. I was hospitalized the first year due to my high calcium level, was determined I was also now hypercalcemic (spelling on that one) so he recommended I have a fistula put in for when dialysis became a reality. I had the fistula for a year and a half and started dialysis back in August 2016. There are good days, there are bad days, but I have learned to keep them in stride. I still work full time but can no longer travel out to my company's offices to train as trying to get a shift which allows me 8 hours to train staff on their schedule is awful. I love DaVita, I choose them because they have locations everywhere especially near where my family lives. At Christmas I had dialysis on my normal days but not at my normal time so that was not terrific but hey, I was with my family. I've recently completed the application for a Kidney Transplant - I did my research before I moved as I was on a Kidney Transplant list at Yale - because of the different areas of the country, I needed to apply again - so waiting. Planning on vacationing to visit family in Nebraska and hey! DaVita is right in town at the hospital so going to make my plans soon. that's about it for me - all the best to you.

Comment

I was just diagnosed with stage 3 .last week..i dont know if its A or week...would like to view kidney friendly recipes...i know it has to be a lifestyle change...i believe i will be healed...

Comment

I am not on dialysis or meds

Comment

Thank you jenifer...after i read posts i will be praying also...

Comment

Originally posted by Coffee064 View Post
            I was just diagnosed with stage 3 .last week..i dont know if its A or week...would like to view kidney friendly recipes...i know it has to be a lifestyle change...i believe i will be healed...
            Hi Coffee064, welcome to myDaVita!

I just wanted to share that you can view over 1,000 of DaVita's kidney-friendly recipes here: https://www.davita.com/recipes/. You could also try using the DaVita Diet Helper: http://bit.ly/2hLeEZz. It can help you plan and track kidney-friendly meals that adhere to your nutritional goals.

I hope this helps! Have a great weekend

Comment

I was diagnosed 10 yrs ago with FSGS (look it up cause I can't spell it) only 20% get this for no reason at all. So I moved to the east side of Washington state thinking I have years before anything happens...51 yrs old I started pd....got peritonitis and had to go to hemo...i get sick on dialysis days but the other days I feel great...i have my days when I just want to give up but then there will be a commercial or something where others have it so much worse then I do so then I get off my pitty potty and move on

Comment

Hi my name is Kari I was raised knowing I or my sisters could have what our mother had, polycystic kidney disease. It is heritatary my mom's side of the family, her father passed away from it and all her siblings have passed also. Myself was diagnosed at the age of 32 my sister was also diagnosed a year after me so that would make her 33, all our cousins are also pkd patients. Some transplated other on hemo-dialysis. I am now 54 and have been on dialysis one month, but you have to remember this was part of our lives growing up because my mother was on dialysis for 17 1/2 years before she passed, from not her kidneys but from a staff infection. My gfr was a 5 and my creatine was at 12, I am anemic, phosphorus and parathyroid are totally out of wackers. The best thing you can do for yourselves it to ask lots of question, never a dumb question! Also if you are having troubles after your treatment write it down and take it to your next treatment so your tech and nurse at the davita center can change your treatment. Trust me my treatment changed for the first two weeks until my nurses and techs listened because I complained and asked lots of questions. They were great. Do your own research knowledge is the best thing you can do for you. Go on you tube, Davita have Web cam seminars, most important read labels at the grocery store.I am sorry for the person who is all bruised up, is there a tech that doesn't bruise you? If so request that tech. That is your right!

My prayers are with you all😇

Comment

My story started 23 years ago. After several visits to family dr., finally referred to nephrologist who told me I had ckd with his back turned to me... I had no idea what a journey it would be. I was 39 years old and had two young children.
                  We did not have internet, no pamphlets, no education, nothing. I insisted I be referred to nutritionist who could guide me. I have a type of vasculitis, autoimmune disease. I believe my kidney failure was due to stress induced situations... My parents died within 11 months of each other, I lost my job and almost divorced. Very depressed also. 3 yrs later, I was on dialysis, 6-13-96 - will never forget that day😢 19 months later, I transplanted. They gave me both kidneys of a deceased donor who was 70 yrs old. I was not told that it was "experimental" - BAD IDEA. Started having issues soon after. Went into failure 6 years later. I knew then that home dialysis was my goal. It took one year. I was trained by myself because my husband could not take 5 weeks off of work. They wouldn't train me until I learned to do my own sticks! OMG, I used to pass out at the sight of blood... It took me 8 weeks to conjure up the guts. And another 4 weeks to be confident. 5 weeks of training and then home. My husband was mortified but we got thru it. I started with a big machine and then switched to the NxStage system #1. God bless that invention! I have been using it for twelve years now, I will be 65 soon. I have been blessed to see both children graduate from high school, college, and witnessed my daughters marriage last summer. My husband and I travel with our RV, or car. I truly understand your pain and depression. I cried reading your story. I don't know where you live, but home dialysis is much better. It would be good to talk to your Dr. and your clinic about it. I "run" 4 or 5 times a week for 3 hours. I have been able to live a fairly normal life. I don't have to worry about fluids,phosphorous or potassium like I did in the clinic. Sending good thoughts your way. Advocate for yourself, don't give up!

Comment

Anyone here ever have both kidneys removed ? If so how did it go then and now ? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X