Want to feel normal again - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to feel normal again

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totally get it! I'm 20 and just found everything out around 4 months ago. You are right dialysis life is hard, but if you trust God He will pull you through it. Just want to encourage you and say that you can make it.

Comment

I am 44 years old . I have been going to Dialysis for almost a year now. I was doing good with my fluids until I started getting so thirsty all the time so I kept drinking more and more like an idiot .I was 8 lbs over my dry weight.The nurses at the clinic kept telling me to watch my fluids.Well I didnt listen and ended up with congested heart failure. That was the worst experience of my life .I felt like a fish out of water .I could not breath. My oxygen level was at 5% which it should be like 95 to 100%..I was in the ICU for a day and then a reg room for 2 days..So if your carring alot of fluid in your legs try and get rid of it asap..I watch everything I eat and drink now..I dont ever want to go through that again..And I wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy.....

Comment

Dana if your not diabetic suck on hard candy when you get really thirsty. It's what I do....just watch the amount of sugar. Good luck ! !

Comment

I started PD in July of this year. When I say I have gone thru all the ranges of emotions that there are...... Everyday is a struggle to do what I need to do so can do what I want to do. I hate for my husband to see my catheter and being tethered to the cycler makes me want to break down on some days.
          Its hard and I know what I have to do in order to be here for me, my husband, my k ids and my family. Right now it seems that my life is centered around dialysis and work. (yes I'm still working ). Good news is that I am on the Transplant list as of Monday and my live donors can get tested. I struggle with potassium levels and protein levels and my diabetes is out of wack because I don't have an appetite. This too shall pass!

Comment

Originally posted by LMJS9967 View Post
            I started PD in July of this year. When I say I have gone thru all the ranges of emotions that there are...... Everyday is a struggle to do what I need to do so can do what I want to do. I hate for my husband to see my catheter and being tethered to the cycler makes me want to break down on some days.
            Its hard and I know what I have to do in order to be here for me, my husband, my k ids and my family. Right now it seems that my life is centered around dialysis and work. (yes I'm still working ). Good news is that I am on the Transplant list as of Monday and my live donors can get tested. I struggle with potassium levels and protein levels and my diabetes is out of wack because I don't have an appetite. This too shall pass!

Hi LMJS9967, thank you for being open and sharing here! These forums are a great place to connect and find support from others who are going through similar experiences as you. Have you been able to speak with a social worker? They can also be a outlet to talk about what you're going through and the life changes that dialysis brings.

Please don't hesitate to reach back out to me if you have any questions with the tools and resources offered through myDaVita. I hope you have a nice weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna520az View Post
              I'm sorry your feeling this way and I know what your going through I see my Son feeling that way a lot and he gets so frustrated at times and has a lot of aniexity my Son is 25 he found out he had CKD last Febuary its been hard to see him like that and see what everyone has to through at Davita.We all have our struggles in life and its more hard for others.I am struggling with spinal stenosis lower neck and lower back and I also have severe leg problems where I can't even walk a half smile or less and then my back is hurting so bad I stop and want to just cry,The leg problem I've been going through that since I was 4 years old laughed at made fun of I have Blounts Disease and now its traveled to my other leg where I have severe deformity.I just want you to know there are people out there for you and God is with you and he will see you through this.If you would like to talk my name is Anna( Big Hugs)
              Hi Anna. Sorry I took me so long to write I forgot all about this forum and didn't know people even looked at it. I am so sorry for the pain your in. I couldn't imagine what your going through. Thank you and I'm hear to talk to too hugs.

Comment

Originally posted by kymhagel View Post
                I am on PD as well. it has been 3 years this October. I can say it has been a real adjustment for work and social life. Your true friends will work with you through the challenges. I have a few core friends that have gone over the top in helping me adjust. I couldn't do it without them. I cant speak towards dating But it is equally as hard on a marriage. I to do not feel comfortable with my looks due to the exit site and do NOT want my husband to see it. One thing that has been the most helpful in keeping my spirits up is working and traveling. We have gone to DC, Ireland, Hawaii among others. All with my PD machine. don't let this blip in the road stop you from living and enjoying life. As my nephrologist told me, "this is just a moment in time. 3-5 years will fly by before your know it. you will have a new kidney and be on with a normal life". it sounded absurd at the time, but i am now getting ready for my transplant and i can not believe it has already been 3 years. He was right!
                Best of luck to you. Stay positive. Dont be affraid to speak to a therapist either. I found that to be very helpful.
                Thank you it's very helpful to hear. And congrats on the transplant! My twin and I are going through the process to see if we're a match. Yes friends are the best and so is family. My mom has been by my side through it all, she's my caregiver. Best of luck to you too.

Comment

I am on my 3rd fistula. My first one in the left arm used a vein that was competing with pacemaker wires which resulted in my arm swelling from the shoulder on down, So that one was undone and a 2nd fistula was created in my right arm just about the wrist, This one worked for a week until it clotted shut and the 3rd fistula was created above the second one. The dialysis tech tried using my vein 4 weeks ago and the top needle dislodged itself somehow resulting in internal bleeding in my arm. It turned black and for two weeks and gradually faded but the swelling incurred is still with me. So, I'm still using the port planted in my chest (and I am on my 3rd port).It's not that I "enjoy" being stuck with needles but I have had the arterial blood gasses test done several times with the sample being taken in the wrist and that is interesting to watch.

Comment

I've been on dialysis 3X a week since 3/16. I usually feel sick afterward. I resent how difficult it is now to trvel, as I used to travel very often before. I find the messages from some here to be very inspirational, as in learning to count my blessings.

Comment

Working...
                    X