X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Pain

My husband just started at home PD dialysis. While training he had bad drain pain. They said that since he is diabetic he is healing slower and that he will find comfort in time from the bad pain. They started him on a tidal prescription and said he should be not feeling pain until the final drain. However, last night was our first night and he was awaken each time the cycler drained him. The pain lasted approximately 3 to 4 minutes, the last few minutes of the drain cycle. Should I be concerned, is this normal? Ive looked else where and have seen that other people experience this as well. I don't want him to become discouraged with the pain and loss of sleep. Also, I'm the only one who works right now and I get up with him (not going to let him suffer alone) I'm just hoping someone can tell me that this will pass eventually. Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Everything else went fine, I just want him to have some peace. My PD nurse says she is confident the pain will go away but when I told her today that he had pain at each drain she said it was weird that he should have slept through the first 3.

I have been on PD for over a year now and I still have pain on initial drain, though I consider it as minor, a slight pinching mostly. If I am asleep I do not wake up when draining, though if I am awake then yes I do have pain. I also believe that going to PD was the best thing i have done. My diet has many fewer restrictions, I no longer have the bad taste in my mouth and I have been able to travel much easier than when I was on hemo.

Comment

The nurse has him set on a tidal pd, she said she should sleep through the first three and then feel pain on the last drain. He's doubled over in the fetal position each time he drains. They said they are confident the pain will subside in time. He's diabetic and they said it takes longer for him to heal. Thank you for your post, I'm hoping in time he will start to feel better and the pain will subside. He's so discouraged. But I know if we can get through this he will feel so much better.

Comment

Hi perhaps I can help
        For the initial drain I never lay down or else I get drain pain.
        I sit on the side of the bed until the first drain is done.
        I also have my cycler set up so that when it drains through the night I don’t get a complete drain(leaves a 100mls I each time). Also if I sleep on my right side drain pain can be worse
        Most nights I am pain free. The biggest cause to drain pain is that you may be constipated.
        Such a great topic but factual
        Hope that helps

Comment

Working...
        X