Close Mobile Navigation

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a Diabetic Person will have Kidney Problem?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kernal6699
    started a topic Does a Diabetic Person will have Kidney Problem?

Does a Diabetic Person will have Kidney Problem?

Hi,
    My Mother is having diabetics for 25 years. Only for the last 5 months she's taking Insulin. Is diabetic Patient has chances of having Kidney Problem?
    Last edited by bdodsworth123; 08-22-2012, 10:28 AM. Reason: removing unrelated links

• Jillinois
    replied
    I've been diabetic since 1995, and have had an A1C below %7 (usually below 6%%) ever since I got it down after being diagnosed. I was put on insulin 12 years after I was diagnosed. I've done everything "right", and I still have CKD now. I did have chemo which seriously jacked with my blood sugars, but my A1C never got above %7, even during that time. So, diabetes itself- not just what you do or don't do- is a risk factor for CKD.

Leave a comment:

• CaptDee
    replied
    Originally posted by imama23 View Post
    YOLA, I too ended up with CKD due to metformin, what my nephrologists said.
    ​I have been reading a lot about metformin. I did take it for a period of time before insulin. To me metformin is to be considered the same as Advil other NASIDS. They are NO NOs if you have CKD or most other diseases.

Leave a comment:

• CaptDee
    replied
    Originally posted by asmanitu07 View Post
    Hi, everybody. I have been enjoying reading this website. I'm really learning a lot. The reason I've been researching is that I have diabetes and I really don't want to keep taking insulin and getting side effects. I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on some good natural remedies for diabetes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    ​I have learned a lot on this site, they have very good professional information. When looking for what I consider self help for myself for CKD and Diabetes I go to UTUBE. You will find some very interesting posts, some are useless; but those talking about diet/food can be very interesting. You will also find recommendations for various supplements, herbal teas, etc. ADVICE: Always consult your medical professional prior to any self help. They can be depended upon to give you the right advice. GOOD LUCK I really think that reading and studying CKD and Diabetes will give a person the attitude they do have some control over their destiny. MAYBE THEY DO.

Leave a comment:

• imama23
    replied
    YOLA, I too ended up with CKD due to metformin, what my nephrologists said.

Leave a comment:

• Yola2017
    replied
    My husband was diagnosed with diabetes in 1997, and maintained a normal weight until a hip surgery went wrong and left him paralyzed on one side from the knee down. In addition, he has fibromyalgia. With God, some therapy and the will to walk again, he is walking w/ a brace. Our PCP gave us kudos on the A1c going from 7.2 to 6.2 to recently 5.2. No one noticed that the kidneys were failing. I reviewed the lab results and brought this to our doctor's attention. I decided to review the last three years. We were told that two of the meds my husband was on were the main contributors of his kidney disease, and he was taken off of Metformin and Meloxicam. My husband took himself off of two additional meds and the doctor had no problem with it because due to his diet changing he has gone from 242 lbs to 198 lbs since May of this year and no longer needed the meds. We have read a couple books, researched online until blue in the face, and attended a kidney Smart class. My husbands labs are all in the normal range including the cholesterol, BUN, and the BUN ratio and his potassium has never been a problem. The creatinine has improved, and we are still working on lowering it further. Our goal is for him to not go from stage 3 to stage 4 so I prepare all of his meals. We basically eat plenty of veges, fruits, a little bread and 2 to 3 oz of meat daily based on his stage 3 and his wt. My husband's biggest problem is that recently he began having episodes of gout. The first one was triggered by eating a sample portion of sausage & a sample of pork chop that a friend had grilled. The sodium on the meat was off the chain. Our doctor confirmed that it was the sodium. The second episode was triggered by salmon, and the 3rd episode was triggered by either turkey or overly processed multi-grain bread. He had these two items back-to-back, and his uric acid level was 2.8 at the time. He is taking Colcrys and Uloric, and we were told that it's not good to take these long term. I remember reading that not all gout patients have high uric acid levels. There is a family history of gout.

Leave a comment:

• jamminj
    replied
    After 28yrs of being type 1 diabetic, insulin dependent, my kidneys went fast. I was at end stage 5 CKD in about four months. I check my blood glucose at least five times a day. Two months ago I had a heart attack out of no where too. another problem from diabetes. even taking good care of myself, these problems still arise for diabetics. I was told when I got diabetes these things were going to happen to me. It is the Type 1's that have the most health problems from it. As it has been said above the try to keep problems a bay is to keep the glucose level under control as normal as possible.
    Last edited by jamminj; 03-05-2016, 11:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• HAMPTON263
    replied
    Wow such great information. I'm a diabetic. Thank you everyone for sharing. I'm learning alot also.

Leave a comment:

• RickyTroy
    replied
    If you have diabetes, your blood glucose/sugar levels are too high. Over time, this can damage the kidneys.

Leave a comment:

• Maria_chen
    replied
    Yes. Kidney disease 's complications is Diabetic Nephropathy. and Diabetic Nephropathy is a common complication of Diabetes. Kidneys are consisted of millions of nephrons in the body. Normally, these tiny structures can help purify the blood by excreting wastes, toxins, extra fluid and preserving useful substances. However, long-term high blood sugar level will cause damage to the functioning units and rapid decline of kidney function. In addition, clinical cases have shown that high blood pressure can lead to the occurrence of diabetic kidney disease. If poorly controlled, these abnormal signs will speed up it’s progression to ESRD.

Leave a comment:

• asmanitu07
    replied
    Hi, everybody. I have been enjoying reading this website. I'm really learning a lot. The reason I've been researching is that I have diabetes and I really don't want to keep taking insulin and getting side effects. I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on some good natural remedies for diabetes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• aaliyahfrazier114
    replied
    Originally posted by Kernal6699 View Post
    Hi,
    My Mother is having diabetics for 25 years. Only for the last 5 months she's taking Insulin. Is diabetic Patient has chances of having Kidney Problem?
    That was not in my knowledge but after searching over your disease, i found an article on (http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/kdd/) and it is clear that Diabetes is the most common cause of kidney failure, accounting for nearly 44 percent of new cases. People with kidney failure undergo either dialysis, an artificial blood-cleaning process, or transplantation to receive a healthy kidney from a donor. Most U.S. citizens who develop kidney failure are eligible for federally funded care.

Leave a comment:

• heal123
    replied
    yes for people with diabetes, kidney problems are usually picked up.
    Health Aid

Leave a comment:

• Trishikins
    replied
    what my doctor told me 16 yrs ago when i first was diagnosed with kidney disease is that 50% of diabetics will have some sort of kidney damage....however, if her diabetes is well controled, it will help....it's not a guarantee that she won't have kidney problems, but it will help....

Leave a comment:

• Matheaford
    replied
    M3Riddler is right, 40% of kidney disease is diabetics, and you have to manage your blood sugars well. You may develop some level of kidney disease but not go all the way to dialysis. Many people think of kidney disease as only dialysis, but the damage is done in stages 1-5. I would ask her doctor for a microalbumin test of her urine and see if she has protein in her urine. That way you can find out if she is going in that direction. Better to know than hope.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X