X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New & overwhelmed...

Just found out t am now stage 4, diabetic. (72 years old) & feel like life is over. I do not feel like doing anything...( I could write about 100 more pages about this) . I am afraid I will b sick everyday. I could use some advice on what to expect...anyone? Thanks for reading.

Hello Joanne I am sorry you have kidney disease. Start to take care of your diet and even exercise if your able. Not everyone is sick every day. Everyone is different. There are choices if you get to stage five (end stage) renal failure. Are you feeling sick now? make sure your doctor knows of every symptom. There are things they can do for them. Has your doctor mentioned dialysis? I know it is overwhelming and you are allowed to be afraid. Your life is only over if you give up. If you have any questions feel free to message me. Take Care.

Comment

Originally posted by joanne View Post
      Just found out t am now stage 4, diabetic. (72 years old) & feel like life is over. I do not feel like doing anything...( I could write about 100 more pages about this) . I am afraid I will b sick everyday. I could use some advice on what to expect...anyone? Thanks for reading.
      Hi Joanne, I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Juggling kidney disease and diabetes can definitely be overwhelming but the myDaVita community is here for you. These forums are a great place to connect with others who are going through the same thing as you. We also have a few really helpful kidney diet tools, such as the DaVita Diet Helper and free kidney-friendly cookbooks. Access the Diet Helper to plan and track meals and stay on top of your nutritional goals: https://www.davita.com/mydavita/diet-helper. You can download one (or a few!) kidney-friendly cookbooks here: https://www.davita.com/cookbook. They also provide helpful cooking tips as well! I hope these are a few good tools to help you get started and ease your stress a bit. Please reach out to me if you have any questions and I wish you the best!

Your community manager,
      Kelsey

Comment

1scardycat....
        No I am not feeling sick physically...only mentally. I have never been much of an exercise person but have starting to walk about 10 minutes at a time now a couple of times a day. R there any foods that come pre made that r ok to eat? Yes I know about dialysis, that's the scary part for me.
        Kelsey...I have tried a dozen times to add my birthdate & pix & I see no place to post it/send.

Comment

All you can do is focus on the outcome you want. Listen to people like Joel Osteen and Wayne Dyer even though he has passed . He was a great inspiration and teacher.

Comment

1scardycat....
            No I am not feeling sick physically...only mentally. I have never been much of an exercise person but have starting to walk about 10 minutes at a time now a couple of times a day. R there any foods that come pre made that r ok to eat? Yes I know about dialysis, that's the scary part for me.
            Kelsey...I have tried a dozen times to add my birthdate & pix & I see no place to post it/send.
            Premade foods are mostly a no no. They are typically filled with sodium, potassium and phosphorus. But as I was thinking about pre packaged meals I looked up kidney disease and prepackaged meals and there are places that make renal friendly meals. They are expensive but they are out there.I am glad you are not ill. Exercise even 10 minutes a day is a great start. Dialysis is the scary part for everyone trust me. There is peritaneal dialysis you could possibly do at home. I will send you a message with some info that might be helpful. Take Care.

Comment

1scardycat....
              Hi joanne, that's a great question and you can do both of those things on your myDaVita dashboard. You can access it by going to the top of this page and clicking the "My" button at the top right corner. Then you will see an "Edit My Profile" option on the left side of the screen (under where your profile photo would appear). You will be able to upload a photo and your birthday there. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Comment

I think I have my pix on now Kesley but no way will it let me add my BD which is Nov 26. Thanks again

Comment

I think I have my pix on now Kesley but no way will it let me add my BD which is Nov 26. Thanks again
                  Hi joanne, once you're on your dashboard - click the "Edit info and privacy settings" button located to the right of your Username. There you will see an option to add or change your birthday. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Joanne. I am 74 , non diabetic, and was recently diagnosed with CKD stage 3, and put on a kidney diet. It is a shocking diagnosis. My Doctors' and my goal is to maintain the level I am at as long as possible. Have had blood work and Doctor visit, and appears with the diet and exercise prescribed it has stabilized. There is hope. It does take some adjusting to both mentally and physically. There is much helpful information on Davita website. There are many books and booklets on CKD ,and they give you some guidance on what to expect. Hank in there. Things will improve. I do feel better after being on diet and exercise regimen.

Comment

I am new to the forum, but very familiar with your situation. I have fought many days with the same unhappiness. I am not going to go into a long story at this point, but I am going to recommend a book for you to read that was the simple key for me. The book title is Feeling Good...by Dr. Burns. The book is at your library or available from Amazon online as a paperback ($6.95) This was recommended to me by a highly regarded Medical Professional and for the low cost, I thought what-the-heck even though I was skeptical that a simple book would be of much worth....Boy was I wrong! Today I am much improved, and pray that you too can overcome your dark fears. Best Regards

Comment

Can some one help me!!! I feel like I have been killing my husband with food! he is a diabetic type 2, on Coumadin,and now stage 4 renal failure. I am scared to feed him!!

Comment

I cant feed him the diabetic diet or the renal diet because of the Coumadin!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bebe1650 View Post
                            I cant feed him the diabetic diet or the renal diet because of the Coumadin!!!!
                            Hi Bebe1650, adjusting to a new diet can definitely be overwhelming. It's best if you speak with your husband's local dietitian to find out what foods are best for his specific diet and needs.

Comment

i am single, & worried about it all, esp the cost, & will i be able topay for th ein home meds & equiptment, I have medicare.all the recpies on here are for a lot of food, i have no deep freeze to freeze the excess food, to have for later meals. do i have to have a care person to assist me

Comment

Working...
                              X