dehydration problems - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

dehydration problems

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dehydration problems

I have many bouts with dehydration since i started pd 3 years ago. I still have 50% residual urine output so i get dehydrated easily. Hospitalized last fall for severe dehydration which almost cost me my life. anyone else having dehydration issues I use the 1.5 % solution.
    Last edited by debby55; 02-05-2015, 07:05 PM. Reason: mispelled words

Hi Debby55, just wondering how many exchanges you do per day....do you know your GFR? (there's a calculator on Davita) do you push the fluids? hospitalization sounds extreme Hope you are able to get the dehydration under control.

Comment

I used to struggle with dehyration and would struggle with metabolic acidosis. I accidentally found that if I came off of dialysis at a weight that was higher than my on weight I could actually function. I have an ileostomy and no one knows how to combine dialysis with an ileostomy so I had to invent my own solution. I don't restrict fluids or I would just die. I go into metabolic acidosis quickly so for my needs I do 2 quarts of kool aid daily to stay hydrated. I don't recommend that for anyone else but it is how i absorb fluids with no large intestine. Not everyone needs the same things. I fought to meet my needs when I realised how sick I get if they are pulling fluids and in turn they don't like me at dialysis. I don't pass urine any longer. I wish there would be some education for physicians and nurses who do dialysis with someone who dehydrates instead of retaining fluids. The orders are in place in order to keep me hydrated and I am on the receiving end of some very sarcastic and rude remarks just because I'm different.

Comment

what is GFR and what happens if a person lacks fluids , is blood removed when no fluid is in the blood?

Comment

cience2000..
          Glomerular filtration rate
          Glomerular filtration rate (GFR) is a test used to check how well the kidneys are working. Specifically, it estimates how much blood passes through the glomeruli each minute. Glomeruli are the tiny filters in the kidneys that filter waste from the blood.

Comment

You should increase intake of fluids to reduce dehydration.
            Quality Urgent Care San Antonio

Comment

Originally posted by SOOZINN View Post
              I used to struggle with dehyration and would struggle with metabolic acidosis. I accidentally found that if I came off of dialysis at a weight that was higher than my on weight I could actually function. I have an ileostomy and no one knows how to combine dialysis with an ileostomy so I had to invent my own solution. I don't restrict fluids or I would just die. I go into metabolic acidosis quickly so for my needs I do 2 quarts of kool aid daily to stay hydrated. I don't recommend that for anyone else but it is how i absorb fluids with no large intestine. Not everyone needs the same things. I fought to meet my needs when I realised how sick I get if they are pulling fluids and in turn they don't like me at dialysis. I don't pass urine any longer. I wish there would be some education for physicians and nurses who do dialysis with someone who dehydrates instead of retaining fluids. The orders are in place in order to keep me hydrated and I am on the receiving end of some very sarcastic and rude remarks just because I'm different.
              Totally agree with you about educating nurses and DRs. Not everyone is the same yet they treat everyone the same way. My kidneys were damaged by antibiotics, however I am still in great shape except for my kidneys. I drink about 3/4 of a gallon of fluids per day and my kidneys filter out about 1/2 a gallon per day. I hit the sauna and steam rooms almost every day and sweat the rest out. I eat anything I want and don't have to follow a kidney diet because of my higher activity level. I have actually gained some muscle while being on dialysis and that just freaks out the Drs and nurses. They are used to people getting unhealthier on dialysis not healthier. Good for you for finding out what works for you and good luck in the future!

Comment

Working...
              X