Sleppy and lethargic after treatments. - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleppy and lethargic after treatments.

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleppy and lethargic after treatments.

My wife has been very lethargic, sometimes not able to communicate for long periods of time, and will sleep for more than 24hrs after treatments. Is there a new problem, for in the past things seemed relatively normal after treatments, but lately it's been pretty bad?
    We went to hospital to check for possible stroke or liver function and the tests were negative.
    We are baffled and concerned.

I do hemo in-center 3.5 hours/treatment 3x/week. I always have a headache and am sleepy after. I always need a nap after, but near the extent your wife does. How have her blood counts been? She could be severely anemic.

Comment

Hi, lizziemo1! Sounds like you need to check with your care team at your local center and your wife's nephrologist. Her lab results may be able to point to the problem.

Comment

Lethargy after in-center hemodialysis seems the rule and not the exception. Consider that each treatment is trying to remove fluid and toxins that have accumulated for nearly 48 hours, and in the case of the Friday to Monday treatment, close to 72 hours, it's no wonder patients feel drained. After 2-1/2 years of 5X weekly HHD treatments, a mix of nocturnal and daily since June 2013, I can't say that I've ever felt "drained" after a treatment, if anything, I feel energized, especially knowing that my blood has been cleaned to a GFR of roughly 20 and a creatinine in the 2's. That compares pretty favorably to the GFR of 9 and creatinine in the 6's when I started HHD training and did not display any symptoms of kidney failure beyond a hemoglobin of 9.

Comment

My experience with fatigue is a some days, yes, some days, no thing. I am an in-center dialysis patient and chose one of the earliest times, 6 a.m. - 10:00 a.m TThS. If I've had a particularly busy off day and don't make myself go to bed early, then yes, I'm pretty wiped out at the end of treatment the next day. I try to sleep at least one hour during treatment, sometimes I sleep through almost the whole thing. I got an ipod and downloaded soothing music that helps me fall to sleep and stay asleep. TV only keeps me awake. But, if this is new to your wife, then you need to talk with your dialysis team and get help to discover any physical or emotional problems that might be causing it. Good luck!

Comment

I am on Nocturnal treatments 3X a week for 7 hours. We get camp inflatable beds - I bring sheets, blanket and a pillow, I sleep thru most of treatment, I am normally on the way home by 2:30 am. Then I take a nap for a few hours before work. My clearance rate is twice what it was when I did 4 hour treatments during the day. Some days I am wiped out and on off nights I am in bed before 10.

Comment

Donít worry lizziemo1, your wife will be fine. You can take a second opinion from another nephrologist.
              Quality Urgent Care San Antonio

Comment

I'm very tired after dialysis treatment. I have to take a nap of about 20 min, sometimes longer. Have been on dialysis for nearly a year.

Comment

Working...
                X