X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constipation

Hi. My husband has CKD - stage 5 but not yet on dialysis. He is taking iron transfusions and Tum to bind the phosphorous. He is so constipated he feels terrible. What is recommended to ease his suffering?

Thanks for such an informative site.
    Sock Monkey

Caregiver of husband 58
    Recently diagnosed
    CKD, Stage 5 predialysis
    Type 2 diabetes

Re: Constipation

The iron (infusions or oral) will cause constipation and so will calcium binders.

I take OTC stool softners, that worked for me.
    FYI the store brands are just as good and cheaper. I buy Target's brand for less than $5.00 while the name brand can be up to $12 for the same quantity.

He can also try dulcolax or ask his Dr for an Rx laxative.

Take care!!

Marina
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

I use Miralax. Very gentle and you mix it in with any liquid, and you won't taste it. Mix a capful in juice (or whatever) once a day each morning and it works like clockwork.
      Diagnosed with PKD in 1992
      On transplant list since Dec. 2009
      Peritoneal dialysis since March 2010

Comment

I concur with both of the aforementioned methods. I just started iron infusions today. Oh, happy day!
        Diagnosed with Alport Syndrome in 2004.
        Began PD on February 21st, 2011.
        On Transplant List since June 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfDialysis View Post
          I just started iron infusions today. Oh, happy day!
          Hi HouseOfDialysis,

Iron infusions work great. Before you know it your hemoglobin will be within normal range and you'll have plenty of energy!

take care!

Marina
          I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

I puy two tablespoons of flaxseed and about a quarter to a half a teaspoon of wheat germ in my cereal each day and it works brilliantly and is natural. Take it for a day or two and you'll see results.
            lupus diagnosed 1988
            Peritoneal Dialysis 1996
            Kidney Transplant 1999
            At present Stage 4 CKD / GFR 20%

Comment

I find certain foods help me like sweet corn, licquirice sweets, peanuts and fresh ornage juicie. If I am really bad my GP gives me movicol as its quite gentle.
              Audrey
              Kidney problems starrted 1980's when I had Saracoidosis
              Recenty started HD at my local renal u Init in Telford.Still having a few problems with my 2nd line.

Comment

Thank you all for your answers. We wound up in the ER last night getting an industrial (as the dr. pout it - soapy) enema. He finally got a little relief. We will try these wonderful suggestions to stay out of the hospital. The sit is so helpful.
                Sock Monkey

Caregiver of husband 58
                Recently diagnosed
                CKD, Stage 5 predialysis
                Type 2 diabetes

Comment

If use Colace capsules for a stool softener, generally take one with morning meds and one with evening meds. I used to take 900 mg iron (ferrous fumarate) so I certainly know what constipation is.

Comment

Originally posted by davpro View Post
                    If use Colace capsules for a stool softener, generally take one with morning meds and one with evening meds. I used to take 900 mg iron (ferrous fumarate) so I certainly know what constipation is.
                    Yeah that is what I take (colace) and I am on 900 mg of Iron and Tums (Phosphate binder) still (yeah still)
                    Angie
                    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

I am NEW here & was going to ask the same question. . I have severe constipation & have had for years. . I use to be on Miralax but had stopped it & was trying other things. . I take now prescription Amitiza twice a day & 2 or 3 cheap stool softerners at night but there but I STILL stay constipated . . It's like it just builds up & after a week I need something really strong to take like - correctol - or something to help. .

I ask the dietician yesterday about the Miralax I use to take & she said - NO because it's too dehyatrating. ..

I am wondering about going & getting a colonic??? Does anyone know if this would be okay?? I have had them before & it really helps & makes you feel better.

Comment

I would not do any type of a cleanse without the approval of your Dr. Dehydration is a concern and harsh on the kidneys. Stool softeners are preferred to laxatives and yet I would still get the okay from the Dr. When you have CKD you need to get approvals for all meds. whether they are advertised as over the counter or natural supplements.
                        May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
                        Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Thanks Tonia.... l am new here & not getting many replies. .Thanks for your quick respones. .

Comment

Originally posted by Sockmonkey View Post
                            Hi. My husband has CKD - stage 5 but not yet on dialysis. He is taking iron transfusions and Tum to bind the phosphorous. He is so constipated he feels terrible. What is recommended to ease his suffering?

Thanks for such an informative site.
                            Mirolax works great. Takes a day or two to kick in, but works great with few effects... Stay away from cheeses or other foods that can bind you as well..
                            NxStage - Since April - 06
                            Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

I use colace and it work great. I have been on iron for the second round. I took it for 6 months and did okay and then my iron dropped again....so I just did my 2nd month of this 6 month cycle..... I know it can be worse..... But really the colace every night seems to really help. I hope that your husband feels better soon!!!
                              Patty Lewis
                              Stage 5 CKD
                              PD Dialysis since Dec 2009
                              On transplant list July 15, 2011
                              patty.lewis 19@ yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X