I was wondering if anyone could help with an opinion or two....I'm not sure whether to sit tight with my GP or to move on to a Nephrologist. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Almost a month ago I finished a 10 day course of an antibiotic (Azithromycin) at high dose. During the last 5 days of the drug I urinated -constantly- & experienced great thirst and flu-like symptoms. About a week later lab tests showed Creatinine at 1.33 / GFR 58. Yesterday (two weeks later) a second set of labs showed 1.36 / 56 (I'm 47). I'm finishing a 24-hour collection to turn in tomorrow, although I've read that the 24-hour collection method isn't much more accurate than the MDRD estimation method in stage 3.
My GP thinks everything will be fine, and wants to simply monitor my creatinine / GFR for several weeks; he thinks things will fade back to normal, or at least to above 60. There aren't any other test values out of range, other than a slight trace of protein from a urinalysis.
I'm afraid that this may turn into a chronic slide downhill, but it could just be fear speaking. I wonder if I'm panicking for no good reason and this is something acute that might spring back.
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether it would be a good idea to make the jump now to a Nephrologist? I was thinking that maybe something more aggressive than "wait and see" might be a good idea. My GP said he'd prescribe a course of prednisone if I wanted to try it, but at this point I'm hesitant to take anything without very good reason.
If anyone had any kind of opinion on this, I be very grateful....