X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CMS Food and Drink Guidelines for dialysis patients

On Monday (10/16) the dialysis center sent home a letter/bulletin stating that new CMS guidelines requires the center to restrict all foods to one snack-size baggie and 4 oz liquid. They will take (confiscate) anything above the allotted amount and return it to the patient at the end of treatment.

I tried to search for the new guidelines on the official website where I have found other items in the past; however in this case, I am having difficulty finding this issue.

If anyone has a link to the document, I would greatly appreciate the help.

I am not trying to imply that fluid and food restrictions are to be ignored. I would, however, like to see the rationale behind these added restrictions and the impact on patients who have very limited appetite on dialysis days (especially before and after dialysis) and who consistently do not fall outside the targeted wet weight. This is the second time this year when food/drink restrictions have been applied. Earlier in the year, it was a small snack that fits in a square plastic container and 8 oz liquid.

Just out of curiosity I googled that subject too and found absolutely nothing related to restrictions as you mentioned.

Comment

Working...
    X