Close Mobile Navigation

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone suggest a diet book for control of both phosphorus AND potassium?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone suggest a diet book for control of both phosphorus AND potassium?

I am on renal dialysis and am high on both of these. So, they gave me lists on what to avoid and it seems like if it isn't on one list, it is one the other. I would like to find a book that tells what I can have, not what I can't. Or maybe suggested menus or something like that. I try to be on the positive side and this is a real downer, checking the lists and trying to find something that isn't on them every meal. In fact, both of my levels went UP after I started trying to watch it closer.

Thanks.

cooking for david

a good book is cooking for david. you can order it from amazon.com or you might try your local book store. good luck

Comment

phos/potassium control

A very good book I use for cooking is called "Cleveland Clinic Foundation Creative Cooking Renal Diets" can buy through amazon.com for $17.95

I also use "cooking for david", but use cleveland clinic book more often.

Also "Nutrition Almanac" by Lavon Dunne $19.95

I ignore the first part of the book which is holistic health care, but the back section lists food groups (meat, dairy, fruit, veggies etc) and gives you nutritional breakdown that isn't found on store labels....among those being potassium and phosphorus, so you can make better low phos/potassium choices while shopping

Comment

I should write my own book...

I'm not a nutritionist,

but think I should write my own book as most of these books seem to focus on the "use non-dairy creamer" in your cereal type of thing and totally ignore all the new food products we can eat

rice chips
        other things you can snack on that are "crispy' and good for you..not patato chips but there are similar other "chips"

milk substitiutes that are good for you not "artificial, high choleterol creamer made from oil"

bread made without wheat..and where to find it

salt free seasonings other than the "common" one we are told to use

stuff made from "chocolate" but not cocoa that we can eat (yup, it does exist and is not dairy....

I just wis the info was out there for people as the regular kidney cookbooks are pretty depressing.

I also have heard alot of "ethnic" ppl were depressed at the lack of interesting foods and boring seasonings..not taking their country's food into account.

Well, maybe I'll publish my own cookbook through one of those printing companies.

maybe it will be listed on the Chapters website sometime even (I know a company that works with them..so not far-fetched).

I'm just so disapointed in the lack of awareness of the "hospital dieticians"..stuck with info from 20 years ago....

Comment

[
          Originally posted by Ottawagirl
          ... Well, maybe I'll publish my own cookbook through one of those printing companies.

maybe it will be listed on the Chapters website sometime even (I know a company that works with them..so not far-fetched).

I'm just so disapointed in the lack of awareness of the "hospital dieticians"..stuck with info from 20 years ago....
          ITA, and I wish you would publish!! If there has been a good, completely new, "kidney diet book" or "kidney cookbook" written and compiled in the last 10 years, I haven't seen it. One book I ordered and returned to Amazon, ( I think it was The Renal Patient's Guide to Good Eating) got the numbers down to acceptable range by reducing the portion size to miniscule dabs of food which would have left me and my husband starving! The Cleveland book was published in 1987, so much of the information and many of the recipes need to be updated. I think "Cooking for David" was compiled and written prior to the mid 1990's, so is more recent, but is still out of date, and I was not impressed w/ the recipes or seasonings.

I've concluded that if kidney patients are to be educated about the newest and most current info, then it's probably going to be disseminated by another kidney patient because the medical professionals certainly aren't doing it (no offense intended to Beth or Doris who are trying to do it all), so I hope you go for it.

Comment

Well,
            personally I have found most cookbooks I've come across pretty depressing.
            If I only followed the menu they had at the hospital and what the diaticians suggested I would have probably stopped eating by now.

I'm going to try and see if I can get some kind of government grant maybe or do something myself.

I already do alot of cooking and know what "thickeners" you can use to make puddings that are not dairy and healthy, so just a matter or getting stuff written down.

Unfortunately the Canadian kidney foundation has been very unhelpful with any of my info requests so far.

In comparison, all the American companies I've dealt with have been great- even though I live in Canada.

Now if only any of the cookbooks already out there were "fun", maybe people would be more motivated to eat!

I know I can make a "healthy" pudding with rice, butterscotch flavour and for the protein use rice protein powder and also add "thickener".
            it would taste like "dairy" pudding but have absolutely no dairy or soy!

I just find all the old books don't even consider all the new, healthy asian ethnic foods- ex rice noodles (most grocery only sells/shows wheat noodles wich are not as good for you).

Comment

Decent low phos cookbooks

I know you have all looked but the National Kidney Foundation has a "List of Cookbooks for Kidney Patients". Looks like several ethnic cookbooks as well as "down home recipes". I have several and used the recipes for my family. I will agree that sometimes the foods are a little flat but by and large we had no problems with palatibility but we have never been heavy on spices. I really don't have the knack for puddings and gravies so that was not a problem.
              "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
              Linda
              Tx: 7/28/2005
              St. Louis University Hospital

Comment

Home dialysis

Hello everyone,
                I have a few tips that have helped me eat well over the years I have spent on dialysis. However I currently am on haemodialysis and I dialyse at home (as I'm writting actually), and they are most appropriate to people in similar circumstances.
                While you are attached to a haemo machine your blood is being cleaned so you are generally able to relax somewhat about what you eat. It is best to eat at the start so that there is time for the pottasium to be absorbed from the food into your blood. Most machines clear pottasium from the blood far better than phosphate, so don't eat high phosphate foods and take your phosphate binders.

I find it easier to cut out completely the foods that are very high in either pottasium or phosphate, rather than strictly limiting my intake. It seems to be easier psychologically and after a while it becomes habit.

I use plenty of herbs and spices to pep up food rather than salt, this helps enormously with fluid intake and has made me a much better cook. I also tend to prepare all my own food so as to avoid all the hidden salt in pre-prepared food. However as you can guess from my user name I'm at home with time on my hands so I'm able to spend time on my food.

There are other tricks, but I am wary of posting too much as I am not an expert and this is my first post. My wife has just brought up a bowl of fresh pop corn. Great snack and low in pottasium and phosphate also very cheap if you make it yourself. And don't buy a pop corn maker, just put a splash of oil in the bottom of a pan, chuck in a handfull of corn, put the lid on and Bob's your uncle! And the noise amuses my son to boot.

Kind regards
                stayathomedad

Comment

Re: Can someone suggest a diet book for control of both phosphorus AND potassium?

I'm new and looking for diet ideas I've had a good cry when I read this thread as it looked like finding a good book for food is very scarce.I have put in a call earler to my doc requesting a consult with a renal dietician hopefully I will get some good info . I'm also finding some good info just reading this thread.I have sleep apnea staage 4 and found a great web site that really helped me with that treament
                  Diabetic oct 2011
                  CKD Diagnosed 2009
                  GFR range 22-33 goes up and down

Comment

Re: Can someone suggest a diet book for control of both phosphorus AND potassium?

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Hi Everyone, I read a lot of your concerns when it comes to a proper renal diet to help in maintaining your good health, well I know it could be quite agonizing trying to stick to this diet, What to eat? How much to eat? and better yet What you need to avoid altogether. Yes, it can be very challenging, that is why in the beginning when I started some two decades ago, I labeled this particular diet, as the Very Complex Renal Diet. Like I have mentioned on other threads, I have been living and coping with the polycystic kidney disease and dialysis for almost two decades now, and I did learn earlier on that there are patients that have to also follow a diabetic diet as well, and I know from a fellow dialysis patients that became a true and very good friend during the first decade of my dialysis life, I learned a lot from her about what to expect with the renal diet, but I was also enlightening about her struggles with diabetes as well, and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't so bad to have the polycstic kidney disease and living on dialysis. She is no longer here, but she taught me a lot about her five years prior to my beginning. [B]WAIT A MINUTE, LET ME GO BACK, REWIND, I WAS GETTING OFF THE SUBJECT AT HAND, (LOL) , I'm sorry! Now where was I, Oh, Yeah! After seeing so many of my family, friends and of course some colleague having to undergo some form of dialysis treatment to sustain their lives in the last decade, I decided to publish a book about my life's copings, my experiences, and of sharing the knowledge that took me a few years to get a grasp on, particularly that complex renal diet, and why it is so important to keep those very important minerals in your body in normal range with the help following a proper renal diet and any medication prescribed to also assist in maintaining good health as a dialysis patient. I am also a good cook, and have gained a lot of knowledge through the years about nutrition, that at one time, I didn't care much of anything about before dialysis became a part of my life. I used to share recipes with dialysis patients, and of course some of the techs and nurses would ask me for recipes from time to time. In my book I also talk about how I searched libraries and bookstores for some kind of renal diet book, but couldn't locate one, so I did the next best thing was to research nutritional books to find ways to accomodate my renal diet. Well, anyway, as a bonus I include some of the recipes that I have been collecting since the mid 70's and have made them somehwhat renal friendly to help in accomodating my particular renal diet needs. I soon found out that every dialysis patients diet isn't exactly followed the same, but there are some similarities. You will find some of these recipes quite easy to prepare and I have listed some of the nutritional facts for some of them, however I do stress the llimitation of potassium and phosphorus in the diet, and take those binders always. If you are interestsed my book is available online at xlibris.com, just click on the bookstore, and search lower right sidebar - my title - My Renal Life - by Gloria Ann Jeff-Moore - you can read an excerpt and my author bio at your leisure. I hope some of you consider my book as a way of getting a grasp on this life and most importantly that complex renal diet. I know my experiences with endurances of trials and tribulations coping with dialysis and that renal diet, and of couse medication will give you a better insight on keeping your good health, and also learning from my ups and downs that I have dealt with all these years.
                    Check it out. O.K.
                    Glo

Comment

Hi Everyone, if you are interested in a veteran dialysis patients life's copings on dialysis, like myself who has been living on dialysis for almost two decades, check out my book online at www.xlibris.com, just click on the bookstore, and search lower right sidebar - my title - My Renal Life - by Gloria Ann Jeff-Moore. You can read a brief description of the book. Then click on My Renal Life - and read my author bio, or you can also send me a message under contact the author, and scroll further down to the middle of the page to read an excerpt with more details of the book. The book is also available on amazon.com, borders.com, and barnes and nobles.com, and of course if you google the book, (where can I find the book My Renal Life by Gloria Ann Jeff-Moore) you can find other outlets where the book can be purchase. But first, look on xlibris.com, to read about the book and the author to make a choice, if whether or not you are interested in purchasing the book.
                      Best Regards,
                      Glo

Comment

Nutrition and Health by Bruce Dinger .It being have quite good information related to health.I have been gone through it many times and get many useful information related to health.This book contain numbers of healthy recipes with nutrition.
                        yoga exercises | yoga poses

Comment

I purchased a book on the internet "Kidney Diet Secrets" by Rachelle Gordon The copyright is 2010. This is an ebook that is all about Kidney Diet to keep you off dialysis. I find the receipts are very good. The only problem is it is not so much for the diabetic but I sub a artificial sweetner for the sugar in the receipts otherwise it is pretty good I found it at kidneydietsecrets.com.

Comment

Hi, I'm very interested in reading the books posted. I wrote down names and I'll be going to see if can find any of the. Does anyone have more books to suggests. I am looking for Easy cook books. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by HAMPTON263 View Post
                              Hi, I'm very interested in reading the books posted. I wrote down names and I'll be going to see if can find any of the. Does anyone have more books to suggests. I am looking for Easy cook books. Thank you
                              Download one of our kidney-friendly cookbooks at no cost here: https://www.davita.com/cookbook

Comment

Working...
                              X