what are the affects of alcohol consumption by dialysis patients - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are the affects of alcohol consumption by dialysis patients

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are the affects of alcohol consumption by dialysis patients

I am not a heavy drinker, however, I do consume alcohol from time to time. If there are bad issues as a result, what should I expect or look for?

My kidney doctor did not seem to be concerned about my intake of alcohol. I drank 2 to 3 drinks per day.However, my primary care Dr. was concerned and he said "quit". He was Seven Day Adventist. But I quit. I am in end stage renal failure. I have not seen any change in my condition. I am of the opinion that moderate alcohol intake is not harmful. In fact, most of the medical field say that a couple of drinks a day is beneficial. Heavy drinking is always harmful!

Comment

I am in end stage renal failure; and I drink several glasses per week (NOT PER DAY); and I have been on Dialysis for over 5 years now. I haven't noticed any change. I drink a lot less than I used to; but that is my choice!
      AV Fistula - Upper Left Arm - 09/09
      Fistula Gram 01/10
      Start Dialysis 05/10
      Fistula Gram 07/10

Comment

Hey. I'm in end stage renal failure. I rarely drink as well. Maybe once every month. My doctor says I can drink but limited it to 1 or 2 a night. I usually limited myself to 2 drinks. Good thing about renal failure is it makes me a light weight. Two drink and I'm a good buzzed. Bad thing is I have a major hangover for the next two days

Comment

I would think drinking while ESRD is like playing with a loaded gun. Might as well pull the trigger and see if there is a bullet in the chamber.

Comment

I would be very careful with alcohol. I am not a heavy drinker, nor is my dad but he was just seen by a doctor and his levels are very low. The kidneys have a hard time processing alcohol, why would you risk even a couple drinks a week?

Comment

Working...
            X