X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in need of advice

My dad just recently had his dialysis time change to 3 1/2 hours 3 days a week. In the beginning he was going 4 hours 3 times a week. After a year they dropped the time by 15 minutes and now another 15 minutes.What makes them change the dialysis time? I'm worried because my dad says he feels more and more tired everyday. He will nap different times during the day for an hour or so at a time, but gets up at 1 or 2 in the morning and can't get back to sleep. I hate to see him so tired. What questions should he be asking the nurses when he goes to dialysis? I know he has low iron but he just seems so tired and it makes me worry. Are there any other tests that my dad should have to see what is making him so tired? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: in need of advice

Unfortunately, sleep disturbances are pretty common among dialysis patients. Also, the daytime napping reduces the need for nighttime sleep. I have learned just to accept it. When I am awake and feeling fine I accomplish what I need to do whether it is daytime or the middle of the night. You get used to the strange sleeping patterns after a while and your body will not allow you to go forever on too little sleep. My guess is that your dad is getting enough sleep in total, but because of anemia he is tired all the time. There are several lab results that are important. Hemoglobin and hematocrit tell the level of red blood cells. The ferritin levels tell what his iron saturation is. If hemoglobin and hematocrit are low and the ferritin levels are normal then he probably needs one of the epo class of drugs to help him make red blood cells. There are three of these, Epogen, Pro-Crit, and Aranesep. The kidneys produce a hormone call erythropoetin that helps the body make red blood cells. These drugs help replace that hormone so that the body can make red blood cells. If his hemoglobin and hematocrit are both normal then you should consider the possibility that he is depressed. Many people on dialysis are depressed because the disease and its treatment can be quite depressing. If this is the case, antidepressant drugs and/or talk therapy may be helpful.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

chefnancy you are so knowledgable and I am so greatful. I will have my dad check into the info you gave me thank you so much

Comment

[QUOTE=jody;16008]chefnancy you are so knowledgable and I am so greatful.

Chfnancy, I, too, am so verry greatful. You have given insite into a world I neve exited. .swered questions that I have never thought of. Thank you.rena wife

Impossible? Nonsense!!!

Comment

Dialysis is very draining, it is normal.

Comment

Energy levels are bad especially in dialysis patients . I get tired 2-3 hours after dializing but try not to sleep during treatment since it completely ruins my night time sleep. If that's even possible. It's 3:30 am and I've been up since 2 am so this will force a nap later today. My body doesn't react to good to many medications so I avoid them like the plague. No sleep aids here but before my hemoglobin was rock bottom at 4.1 I was still working full time and then some at my own business. Don't ask me how, I was like a zombie but had bills to pay like everyone else. Now my red blood cell count is back over 13 I feel like a new man but only for a couple hours at a time. I just have to learn to pick my battles now. Do the same things just in smaller bites and rest in between. I'm blown away at what this disease can do and how bad it knocks us down. Please take care and I wish you all the best.

Comment

You don't say how old your dad is. Age makes a difference.

Comment

Doctors like to schedule four hour treatments. However I started at three. Then added 15 minutes, no changes for 4 years. Being a senior senior citizen😀, I tire easily. When I wake up in early morning, I do not get out of bed. I just lay and eventually fallback to sleep.

Comment

Working...
                X