X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another month to get into see neph! :(

Is it normal to have to wait that long for a neph. appt.?? So, I guess I'll have at least another month of not knowing where I am and what my diagnosis is. I hate this waiting because I am constantly worrying about what stage I am in.

Re: Another month to get into see neph!

When I first went to see the Nepth it took quite a while to get in, I think mainly because she was waiting to get my last 3 years blood work from my family dr, they wouldn't let me make the appt. until she had them.
    Then I had to do the 24 pee test and a whole bunch of blood work and she said it took 45 days to get all that done.
    Then found out I needed a biopsy and had to wait 10 days for that, because I had to be off the asprin that long. Then it took 2 weeks for her to get the results back, then I got my appt. right away.
    It all seems to be a long wait for everything. found out in May that I had a problem..
    Just got the biopsy report yesturday.
    It takes a lot of patience.
    Good luck.

Comment

Kidney disease is increasing in the population and the number of nephrologists is not increasing commensurately, so yes, the wait for a non-emergency referral is quite long usually. If there were an emergent problem I am sure that your primary care doctor would have pushed for an earlier appointment. I know that it is nerve-wracking to wait. I don't have a good solution for that except to put it out of your mind since there isn't anything you can do about it.
      To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll try to put it out of my mind,but it's hard not to worry! Since I have a month before getting to see a neph. and then probably several more weeks before test results can identify what stage I am in, should I cut back on the protein, potassium, and phosphorus in the mean time?

Comment

Since your problem was blood in the urine rather than protein, I wouldn't worry about it too much. However, you might want to cut back on sodium. Almost everyone eats too much sodium, so that would be something that you should probably do for your health anyway.
          To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

Find another one.

Comment

I had a long wait to get a nephrology appt.
              After my 24 hour urine test and some bloodwork ..I called the doctors office and asked his assistant. How much kidney function I had left and if I should make any dietary changes before my appt..and she gave me some info.like the kidney function

Comment

Working...
              X