Newbie and Needing Support - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie and Needing Support

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbie and Needing Support

My brother just informed me that in 1 month he has went from just shy of 20% to 18% in a month. He only has 1 kidney, has all the things of stage 4, he has refused dialysis, and not a canidate for transplant, in someones informed opinon how long does he have? He says that he is going to refuse all ''new meds''. I checked out the kidney school and was greatly informed. Thank you

Comment

With proper diet he could last a long time. Remember, a person with one kidney only has 50% if there's nothing wrong.
      Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
      Flip

Comment

It could take him quite a while to decline or it could be pretty fast. He has not yet entered Stage 5, so the countdown has not even begun yet. Once he enters Stage 5, 15% function or less, then he will begin to get progressively sicker and will eventually die. Why is he refusing dialysis? Dialysis is not painful and could give him a greatly prolonged life.
        To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

He watched a friend go through dialysis, good 1 day sick/weak the next. I'v told him they have improved a great deal in the last 10 yrs. That he should go to a center and watch & talk. He lost the other kidney, bladder, part of stomach,17 yrs ago to cancer. He has a elavated acid level in his system. Its hard because im in south georgia- hes in chicago, so info is all by phone

Comment

Went Mon for the iron infusion, quite an experience.
            From 8-9am they gave me a saline drip, from 9-1:30pm they gave me the 1st bag of iron (400 units) from !;30-2:30pm they gave me the second bag (100units). As soon as they started the second bag, my hands and feet started to swell. Changed needle to other arm, still swelling more. Sent me home at about 3pm, could harldy walk the balls of my feet were so swollen. Called dr, she said to put heat on hands and feet, if it was still bad in the morning to call her or my family dr. Didn't take near enough to read and next time I will bring a sack lunch.
            Yesturday was at my orthopedic dr for yearly check up on my knee and hip replacements, my family dr is right across the hall from him, so dropped in to see what he thought about the swelling, he said it is normal. (the girls at the hospital said they had never seen it happen before). He said the neph told him I needed 2 sessions 2 weeks apart? She only made me one appointment so I quess I will need to check it out.
            Also got all the blood work yesturday for the iron evaluation.

Comment

As I said earlier, I get my iron infusions during dialysis and it is only 100 units each time. Maybe they tried to give you too much at one time. I do not get any swelling from my iron infusions during dialysis. If I were you I would certainly not go for another one until you find out the cause of the swelling.
              To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

chefnancy,
                Thanks I will check with the Neph before I go again to see
                what she thinks.

Comment

Take the anemia injections, low side effects.
                  Of course u are worried, normal.

Comment

Hi I too am new to this in fact have just been told my count is 58 and that puts me in stage 3. My doctor has requested a second blood test and I am very confused at the moment as I don't know what is coming next. All my other blood tests were fine. I am not diabetic, my blood pressure is normal and no family history. I would really appreciate any information.

Comment

Working...
                    X