X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• optimist

Please, need some advice. My Mom started dialysis for a month now. Her body is slowly adjusting but up to now she experiences stomach nausea, swollen feet even after dialysis, and her foot skin is getting too thin, maybe because of frequent warm compress and she always wears socks? Also, she has to put on oxygen due to occurences of shortness of breath. All her lab test are on normal. She is taking sodium bicarbonate and calcium bicarbonate on regulars 3x a day, plus the once a day tabs for the thyroid and heart.
    Thank you so much for your inputs. You are always in my prayers, the team and the members.

christi

First, welcome to this site. There are a lot of supportive people here. Continuing nausea is common for a short while (2-3 weeks) after starting dialysis, as is swelling. This is because it takes a number of treatments to remove built up toxins. If they continue for more than a month, I would consult her drs. about it. I don't know what you mean by the skin on her feet getting too thin. Is this because it is stretched from swelling? Or maybe it has something to do with her thyroid condition? I would seriously doubt that it comes from warm compresses or socks. Hope this helps.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

Mom

Having just started dialysis she may not be down to her "dry" weigh. That is the approximation of what she would weigh with working kidneys. At that point the body swelling due to excess water should be gone. It may take a few months to reach this and then they might not be able to keep it static as she may gain or loose a few pounds of real weight.

If your Mom is older as I am, her skin is getting this thinness all over and the most noticeable parts are the hands and the feet. Wish it was the belly.

Get her to mind her diet, especially liquids and also to start to exercise as the body needs it more now than ever. It makes dialysis sessions go much better with less weakness after.
      May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
      Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
      Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
      Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
      Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

Comment

optimist

My dearest CK,
        all my love for you as my other Mom. Mom is y78 yrs now.

Comment

Older than me by 5

I've been on the MACHINE for two years now and have learned to tolerate it and even prosper.
          The rebuilding of her body takes time and actually does not get real good until she has her fistula in and working and the you notice a significant positive difference.
          Its hard to get us oldsters involved in a project, but try a tape recorder for her to tape letters and notes to all those old friends and enemies, why should they escape, and the YOU get to type them or write them. She cannot read them except while she is on the machine. It won't make the skin thicker but it will pass the time.
          If possible spring for a massage or do one your self about every 2nd or third month. Far enough apart that they are really a reward.
          Get some blank calling card stock and write her a note every once in awhile "ESRD means the kidneys are dead, all the rest is alive. Don't concentrate on death"
          A Bible verse, A note of a seasonal event, Saw the first rose today, the rain washed away all the snow, anything so she begins to feel alive. We need that. I know I do.
          Make sure she is dressed brightly when she goes to sessions and it will make her feel better
          and the entire facility.
          In general use your imagination to make her special. It'll also make you feel better.
          May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
          Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
          Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
          Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
          Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

Comment

breath? Anemia?

Comment

Working...
            X