Maybe "odd" question about PKD - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement Module
No announcement yet.

Maybe "odd" question about PKD

Page Title Module
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe "odd" question about PKD

I've been on dialysis for about 3.5 years - with kidney failure, secondary to polycystic kidney disease. Over the past 6 months, or so, I've felt as though my kidneys must be getting "too big", in there. The best analogy I can give will be understood by women who've been pregnant - you know that feeling, in the third trimester, when the baby's getting so big that his/her feet/arms/legs/head pushes up under your ribs and it's not's just really uncomfortable...? That's the way I, frequently, feel - as though my kidneys are, either pushing up into my ribs, or pushing something else up there. I can feel them on the front of my abdomen, just below my ribs - it used to be when I turned my body a little bit, one way or the other, that I could feel one kidney on the turned side of my abdomen. Now I don't even have to turn or lay down, or anything...I can just feel them bulging out on the sides of my abdomen.
    Can anyone validate these feelings - please, could someone tell me I'm not the only one to experience this weird "feeling"..? I suppose there's nothing that can be done about it, but it might be reassuring just to know that others have experienced this - even better, of course, if you have also found some way to relieve this "pressure", that you can share with me...

Yes. Enlarged kidneys due to the cysts are very common with PKD. If it begins affecting your breathing or eating, you need to talk to your nephrologist.

I have a enlarged kidneys,plus I had a infection that would not go away.They did a scan and the left one was causing all the problem's.They took out my left kidney,the Dr said it was a big as a football.( I forgot to tell the them to take a picture )I wonder way the scar was so big.the pressure I had before the surgery,was bad i.I walked around holding my belly ,you would have thought I was pregnant.Now they are worried about my liver,it never ends.I know this does not help you at all DanCars but I hope you feel better