X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• artificial sweeteners

I am helping to plan meals for my mother who has had a dangerously high potassium level. She was given Kayexalate to lower it and was told to go on a low potassium diet. In addition to that, she is a non-insulin dependent diabetic, and has been taken off medication, which complicates meal planning. Her fasting blood glucose levels run in the 140's-150's without the medication, so it's important to limit the carbs also.

I have found a wealth of information on this website and others, but nowhere in my searches have I been able to find the potassium content, if any, of artificial sweeteners. Is there any concern about the use of artificial sweeteners, or any particular ones?

Re: artificial sweeteners

Aspartame (Nutra-Sweet) is damaging to kidneys, and should be avoided.

Comment

Re: artificial sweeteners

Is Aspartame really bad for the kidneys? I use the generic band of non-sweetener from Walmart. It is the only thing I can afford.

Comment

I have been using sweeteners for years and my doctor has not said anything to me about my potassium levels. I guess that means it's okay to use them. Except the one thats bad for the kdneys.

Comment

Sweeteners and salt substitutes are similar in one way: Anything that you can replace them with carries more risk to the kidney patient. In the end, you should just get used to doing without the 'taste' of these, because you'll never find a truly safe substitute.

Comment

Articicial sweetener with Lowest potassium and sodium content ?

Comment

Kjohnson, there is a site called Eat This Much which list all nutrients for anything you want to eat. I just type what I want to know, "pears. potassium" in the Google bar then scroll down to the site Eat This Much, get my answer. Yes it is a challenge to juggle diabetes and renal diet, I also have to add a cholesterol diet along with them. That's why I use that site. I would take dac's suggestion serious. Drs don't always cover everything, like how diabetics should keep an eye on their gfr. It isn't until we are told we have CKD before we start watching it, a bit late I'd say.

Comment

Of course you have the option of eating anything you want.

I would also suggest asking your nephrologists before taking any over the counter meds or natural herbs, many go straight for the kidneys.
                Last edited by imama23; 03-14-2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnolddeppa View Post
                  Articicial sweetener with Lowest potassium and sodium content ?

Yes. It's called "no sweetener at all".

Comment

Stevia is natural and should be as bad as the others.

Comment

Working...
                    X