X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what not to eat

is there a list of the bad things not to eat?......no results when searching online......always brings me to DaVita something.

I saw a chart with serving sizes & nutrition amounts eg sodim,potassium on Mayo site.the problem I'm having is the inconsistencies on various charts of what is ok & what to avoid

Comment

It is very confusing. I didn't want to go to a dietician, but now I'm hoping my insurance covers one. Maybe the diet depends on your results and your stage? I have pretty high PTC, so phosphorus is a big problem for me. but I'm not at all diabetic, so sugar is less of an issue.

Comment

i am considering the dietician now.....any thoughts on what they charge Susan?............Rhyolite i will check out mayo - thanks.......inconsistencies abound for damn sure

Comment

Everyone who said this kidney diet is confusing is sure right!! According to my nephrologist I should be eating nothing but berries and veggies--but not all veggies. However, if you look at the recipes on this site, which are supposed to be kidney friendly, it contains everything I was told not to eat. SusanDB my insurance wouldn't cover a Dietitian, but it did cover a nutritionist which is just as good as far as I'm concerned. Kidneysgonewrong I was told, among lots of other things, not to eat potatoes or tomatoes or beets because they contain a lot of potassium. When I was going to the nutritionist she recommended that I buy a book called "The Complete Book of Food Counts" by Corinne T. Netzer. I got it on Amazon I think for $2.99 or something like that, and it has EVERY food you can imagine listed in there and how much potassium, sodium, phosphorus, etc. each food contains. I highly recommend getting the book. Good luck to all of you.

Comment

I am supposed to be on a kidney diet but I am diabetic and on warfin, so I am between a rock and a hard place. Any ideas would help.

Comment

Thanks CPI3per1 for the info about the food book. I am definitely ordering it.

Comment

My husbands nephrologist said to keep his sodium and potassium below 2grams each day (or less than 2,000 mg), keep the phosphorus low (he didn’t give us a number) and keep protein below 70 g each day... ask you davita educator.. I’ve found Pinterest has a lot of info... use the tracker on here.. type in a food and it will show the serving size and how much Na, K, phosphorus and protein in the serving.... it’s impossible to find any books that show nurtional values that show potassium... per our Davita lady we met with on Tuesday (we’re new to this, recent stage 4 dx) she said that starting in July of this year the FDA is requiring potassium (K) to be included in nutrional information. That’ll help This website will also do a menu and shopping list for you... i prefer to count mg’s & g’s....

Comment

The 15 foods to eat for CKD is a good start, you can find these on the DaVita and many other sites. A good water filter to get the fluoride out also helps.
                  If you re in stage 3 and above, from what I have read, the best veggies are red peppers, cucumbers, onions, salad, eggplant and garlic and best fruits blueberries, raspberries, pineapple, and - of course - apples. Good grains are said to be barley, buckwheat, quinoa, bulghur, etc.. Fatty fish (salmon) and chicken without skin, etc., the DaVita diet has something on this, too. When I first started reading about the diet I was found it to be too liberal until I realized that it's intended for all stages, so further restrictions would be needed if ckd has progressed further. The Internet does have some useful information, if you don t find something right away, keep trying with different search words. Stay well.

Comment

Does anyone know of a nutritional scale that measures more than te usual (carbs, sodium, fat) - like potassium, phosphorous (all the things we can only have in moderation?)

Comment

Here are two websites that have more info than you'll ever want on all the nutrients in literally thousands of foods. They have tools for searching and comparing and keeping records. The downside is the time required to search the databases for each different food, but it's slowly giving me very helpful info on what to eat and how to mix and match the right foods. (I have to satisfy the requirements of diets for CKD stage 3B plus osteoporosis, and I am also trying to keep up with Weight Watchers, which I started before my CKD diagnosis.)
                      https://www.myfooddata.com/

https://nutritiondata.self.com/

Comment

I am confused I thought soda was bad for people with renal disease also potatoes but I see these frequently on the DaVita diet. My husband has high potassium and can’t eat potatoes. Can I substitute 1/2 cup pasta or white rice? Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

Working...
                        X