Double Boiling and Freezing Potatoes - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums
Close Mobile Navigation

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double Boiling and Freezing Potatoes

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Boiling and Freezing Potatoes

I have a long commute, so the amount of time I can spend preparing meals for my husband (State IV) is constrained.

I tried double boiling a batch of potatoes and then freezing them. The end product was a yucky mash.
    Is there a good way to do this?

Alternatively, what should I use in crockpot meals in place of potatoes? Rice? Pasta? -- a little weird compared to the stews I've always made, but life is changing, so I'll go with it. Please advise.

Thanks,

Maria

You can use a crock pot to make mashed potatoes too. Soak them overnight. Put on low before you go to work and when you get home they are ready to mash. They also keep in the refreg for a few days so if you make a lot the next time you serve those potatoes, put in the microwave for a few minutes and they are just like you just did them. If someone thinks it taste different add a little milk and butter. Usually works.

Comment

If the person you are cooking for is in stage 4, why are you even serving potatoes? They are absolutely LOADED with potassium. In fact, that's where the name 'potassium' comes from!

Comment

Instead of double boiling I recommend you soak the potatoes to reduce potassium but instead of cooking them, simply blanch for 2-3 minutes then cool in ice water before freezing. The double boiling method is best used if you plan to prepare the potatoes right away. Checkout "Lowering Potassium in Potatoes" http://www.davita.com/kidney-disease...otatoes/e/5323 for more details about how to soak or double boil and how much potassium is removed.

Comment

Why am I still serving potatoes?
          1) I am still new at this (3 months in) and learning to adapt old recipes, like stews. I commute 2 hours each way to another city, so my crock pot is how I have a meal ready when I get home.
          2) rice and pasta without the sauces I have made in the past using tomatoes, cheeses, and cream are boring
          3) the patient is not the only one eating in this house, so the likes, dislikes and nutritional needs of the rest of us still need to be managed. (Landing the ER with heart symptoms because MY potassium was too low was not a plus for any of us. So now I have the added cost of a new prescription so that I can keep going. -- We have good news and bad news: Good news the kidney patient is doing great; bad news, we damaged the caregiver. Apparently, I still need the fruits and vegetables that are higher in potassium in MY diet to maintain my health.)
          4) Managing KD is not just about the patient.

Comment

Thanks Sara -- I will give the soaking, blanching and freezing method a try.

Comment

Here's the problem with stews: They generally contain potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, and beef. ALL of these are 'problem' foods for dialysis and pre-dialysis patients. You can soak the potaoes and carrots to remove some of the potassium (as long as you toss out the water), but there is really nothing you can do to reduce the potassium and phosphorus in either the tomatoes or the meat. In short, stews should be only a very occasional food for anybody with kidney issues, since there is really no way to make them good for regular consumption.

Comment

Wow! I didn’t know I have to soak carrots too. I usually make cold slaw with carrots cucumber and cabbages, but I don’t soak them. I just wash and grate

Comment

Why don't you ask your husband if he can learn to fix his own food? That would free you up to fix the food for everyone else and everyone in the home would eat healthy.

Comment

Working...
                  X