X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe Help

Hello all! I am a DaVita technician and I have recently become our facility's Bone Champion. I am launching a program at our clinic in which I will be picking out a new recipe every month to share with our patients. This monthly recipe will be dialysis friendly and low in phosphorus. After picking our monthly recipe I will prepare the recipe, bring it in to the clinic, pass out samples to my patients and give them a copy of the recipe to take home. I thought this would be a fun activity for everybody and help everyone to make healthier food choices. I have been searching through all the recipes on DaVita.com, but would really love to hear of any new ones or favorites anybody has. Cheers!!

Re: Recipe Help

I recently prepared and really loved the Mexican coleslaw from the Davita recipes. I added more jalepeno and cumin to make it more spicy. I served it as a side dish and then in a flour tortilla with a small amount of albacore tuna as a fish taco. Very tasty!

Comment

Hello Bone Champion. I have created a few recipes for my husband who is in End Stage Renal Disease and also suffers from gout, so they are gout friendly as well. My vegetarian pasta primavera may be of interest to you and hopefully to other members of DaVita. We use all organic produce which I recommend but they can be conventionally grown vegetables as well.
      Ingredients:
      4T butter (or olive oil)
      1 medium onion diced
      3 cloves minced garlic
      2 medium carrots diced (and leached for potassium)
      8 sweet mini peppers diced
      6 radishes diced
      3 stalks of celery diced
      12 fresh basil leaves chopped
      1/4 cup veggie broth (I make my own because I know there is no salt or preservatives in it) (I can send you that recipe too if you're interested)
      1/2 cup rice milk (there is no phosphorous or potassium in rice milk vs. regular milk which is why we use it)
      1 Tablespoon of corn starch

Melt butter in saute pan and saute carrots, radishes and celery for 2-3 minutes
      Add diced peppers and saute for 2 more minutes
      Add garlic and saute for 1 more minute
      Add veggie broth and turn heat to high until the mixture boils
      blend 1 Tablespoon of corn starch in rice milk and add to saute pan. (Best way is to add rice milk slowly to corn starch and blend with a fork to ensure all corn starch is dissolved)
      Turn heat down to simmer and cook 4 more minutes (or until veggies are tender but not mushy)

Boil 1 lb. of pasta (any short noodle will work, fusili, penne, rigatoni, etc.)
      Drain pasta, add to saute pan and stir in well.
      Add fresh basil and pepper to taste and serve.

Helpful hint: start your pasta before you start your veggies, that way the pasta will be done when your mixture is ready to receive the pasta.

We don't add salt and don't recommend it, but that is an individual decision.

I hope this proves to be an enjoyable dish for everyone.

Comment

I made the Davita recipe for stuffed peppers. It was so good that i ate the whole recipe in two days! So far it is the tastiest kidney disease recipe I've tried.

Comment

There is nothing better than cooking chicken on the bone. Why? It keeps the meat moist and tender and adds a ton of flavor. Chicken breasts are people’s go-to cut of meat if they are trying to eat healthy, but I challenge you to try a chicken thigh. They get a bad rap because they have more fat, but that’s true only if you eat it. Here’s a trick. Trim off any excess fat. Peel the skin away from the thigh but don’t throw it away. Season the meat and add some fresh herbs. Pull the skin back over the thigh and roast it. Next, mix up a (sort of) BBQ sauce by combining honey with apple cider vinegar. When chicken is almost done, pull the crispy skin away and drizzle the honey mixture over the chicken. Return it to the oven for a few minutes and repeat. When the chicken is done, discard the skin and enjoy the tender, juicy, flavorful meat.

Ingredients
          4 chicken thighs, bone in, with the skin
          4 tsp. Mary’s Secret Spice (MSS in your pantry items)
          2 Tbsp. honey
          2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
          Fresh herbs (optional)
          https://meal5.com/simple-healthy-rec...chicken-thighs

Comment

Working...
          X