which milk is better... - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

which milk is better...

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which milk is better...

What milk is best for us ? I heard unenriched rice milk. Cant seem to fin that one. Any help? I'm new to this.

Hi Hasmith, here's an article from the Kidney Diet Tips blog that reviews some milk substitutes: https://goo.gl/FD2pBL. I'd also recommend speaking to a local dietitian for any specific questions as everyone's needs are different.

Thank you, have a nice weekend!

Comment

I've been using rice milk (Rice Dream) mixed with just a bit of light cream in my cereal. Rice milk seems to be the only 'milk substitute' which has significantly reduced potassium

Comment

Amazon. I thought it was gross, like water. So I blended 1/2c non dairy non fat powdered creamer tp a qt. Much better.

Comment

Can I get the list of the best milk substitutes please. Thank you.

Comment

We are new to this. Is almond milk ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Pattieclayton View Post
              We are new to this. Is almond milk ok?
              Very high in potassium and phosphorus. Read the label.

Comment

I've been drinking LACTAID for years even before I was diagnosed with stage 6 renal failure. I continue even now that I'm on dialysis.

Comment

After a lot of research, I found that Horizon's Organic milk is good. It has no phosphates at all and it comes from fat free to regular.

Comment

Almond milk (Silk brand) I use the unsweetened one. Here are the nutrition facts from the carton: for 1 cup: calories 30,total fat 2.5, saturated and trans fat 0, Polyunsaturated fat 0.5, monounsaturated fat 1.5, cholesterol 0, sodium 125mg., potassium 35mg., total carbs 1g, fiber

Comment

Also, the Silk brand of almond milk doesn't have any phosphates. This is important! A lot of the others do!

Comment

Rice Milk Classic (Not the Enriched) is on Amazon Subscribe and Save. It is 2.99 at my local market and 2.54 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/DREAM-Classic.../dp/B002GPG6BE

Comment

You want to make ricemilk with no additives? Take two quarts of water and boil , toss in a heaping cup of rice an boil the living crap out of it till till e water stars turning a bit white, en turn down to a simmer and simmer till the water is more white than clear and e rice is cooked. Strain out rice and chill. Freeze rice in small cups to be used later or throw it away. If you boiled it too long and used up most of the water just add some more and heat then drain then chill. Crazy to buy rice milk when rice is so cheap.

part 2 of recipe

if you don't like it plain and want to give it away just add sugar or honey(if not diabetic) and a couple of shots, stir and serve over ice.
                          Last edited by imama23; 03-09-2018, 06:45 PM. Reason: part 2 to the recipe

Comment

Have tried what's available in my local area and can say there's a few I personally didn't like but that's my palate and not others. Didn't care for Soy or rice but coconut worked for me. I don't use enriched or fortified but this works for me. I've aways drank whole milk growing up but realize dairy is a no no. I just can't drink watery milk so this is why I went with coconutmilk. At 25 mg of sodium and 45 mg of potassium per 8 oz servibg, this worked for me. I realize there's a small amount of phosphorous but I just can't do the other substitutes. The vanilla flavor was a bonus, just wish this stuff was more cost efective.

Comment

Silk Unsweetened ONLY - Almond, Coconut or the Almond Coconut Blend. If you are on an anti-inflammatory avoid Soy Milk and any soy products.

Comment

Working...
                              X