Easy low protein foods / shakes? - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy low protein foods / shakes?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy low protein foods / shakes?

Hey there,
    My sister's kidneys are at 47%. She's recently been told she's diabetic, but hasn't yet seen a dietitian which I think is a crime! She's disabled with spinal issues and can barely get around. I have studied nutrition, but more on the sports side of things, so I'm not really familiar with good choices for low protein and potassium. Are there any easy powdered whole meal shakes that are low protein that you can think of? I only know of the "protein BROtein protein!" shakes. What about commercially available ready to eat or powdered soups? These tend to be high in sodium. How about puddings or yogurt? I'm thinking if she stays away from the high sugar and greek yogurts, she might be ok to keep her yogurt for breakfast. Am I wrong there?
    I really wish I could give her some of the great smoothie recipes I know of, but I know she won't be able to operate a blender or "cook" anything. About the best I can hope for is a BlenderBottle full of powders for her to shake, or a can she can pop open. Every protein powder or meal replacement powder I've looked at seems to have kind of a high protein level, or has tons of worthless corn syrup and sugars filled in.
    Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

As a side note, I really hope she gets an appointment with a dietitian soon and that I can go with her.

-T.

Hi, I'm really sorry about your sister's situation and hope you can find some help for her on this site. Re foods & drinks, it just isn't the potassium and protein, we are concerned with phosphorous also. If you look at some of the "headlines", there is an awful lot of good information that can inform you of the ins & outs of a renal diet.

Re protein drinks, that is a good question and I hope someone will respond with a definitive answer. There are many sugar free, lower protein drink mixes (Optimum One), check around and I wish your sister well.

You are very caring to take the time to learn for her, I'm sure she appreciates it.

Comment

Yeah, I'm finding out about the phosphorous part as well. I think there are WAY too many numbers to balance here, and I need to go to one of her appointments with her - preferably one where she actually talks to a dietician. This is too important to leave to chance.
      Man, and I thought balancing macros for a ketogenic diet were a pain!

Thanks,

-T.

Comment

Working...
      X