X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and Clueless

I am new to CKD and trying to figure this diet out. I have been on some sort of diet my whole life so I know I can do this, just have to retrain my mind. My first concern is how to get enough calories in the day without going over phosphorus limit? Any guidance will be appreciated!

Avoid tomatoes, mushrooms, colas, etc.

Comment

Use the diet helper and put in everything you eat. It will help some. Potassium is easier to track than phosphorus is. If you go to the National Kidney Foundation you can download a kidney nutritional guidelines booklet. You can also buy one for a couple dollars if you want a hard copy. It has a listing of most basic food and their nutritional values. It is very helpful.

Comment

I use the diet helper to make sure I am not over my limit and plan one week at a time so I can check everything ahead of time and make changes if I need too.

Comment

That's awesome Lin1263 - happy to hear that you're using the DaVita Diet Helper!

Comment

I use the diet helper but go to the recipe section because all the ones on the menu plan are high calorie including the substitutions,you may also change the amount of nutrients if you need changes or need to add more protein.

Comment

I am a caregiver for my husband who just began Dyalisis last week. The diet is going to kill me. Phosphorus is dangerous and it isn't listed on labels. I am at a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by BEHELPFUL View Post
                I am a caregiver for my husband who just began Dyalisis last week. The diet is going to kill me. Phosphorus is dangerous and it isn't listed on labels. I am at a loss.
                Hi BEHELPFUL, welcome to myDaVita! Adjusting to a kidney-friendly diet can definitely be overwhelming. Have you tried using the DaVita Diet Helper? It allows you to plan and track kidney-friendly meals that adhere to your husband's nutritional goals. For example, you could enter his daily phosphorus limits and it will suggest meals that adhere to that value. Give it a try here: http://bit.ly/2ae6Vi2.

There is also a feature within the Diet Helper, called the Food Analyzer, where you can look up the phosphorus content of various food items.

I hope that helps and I wish you both the best!

Comment

Take a look at the Kidney Diet Tips Blog. I wrote a two-part blog not long ago, about the CKD diet and the journey my husband and I have experienced. He is not on dialysis yet, but his GFR is presently at 18, so I had to become quite serious about his diet. When I discovered the Diet Helper Planner and Tracker, it transformed my life! For real! You just enter his limits for protein, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, and then go ahead and plan the meals for that day. I find we can have many of the things we have always enjoyed, with little to no modifications. Measure with measuring cups and spoons until you develop an eye for proportions. Put your own recipes into the My Creations section, and you may can use your own, familiar foods with a few changes. Try some of the recipes in the Recipe section. My husband has been surprised to discover he likes some of them, and he's pretty much resistant to new foods. It isn't easy to change the way we've always lived, but sometimes it is forced on us, and I find the best way is to accept it and look on the bright side. I try to think of it as a game now and try to emphasize what he CAN have, instead of what he cannot. I wish you well. Remember, you are not alone.

Comment

Working...
                  X