X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Eating Out"

Dining out can be a challenge for some of us. It is important to remember the "foods allowed" and the key-word "moderation". I admire folks who have great will-power. Best wishes as you learn the art of dining out on a renal diet.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    The response of this moderator is not an attempt to address a specific condition. Please note that the DaVita.com discussion forums do not provide medical advice or professional opinions about specific conditions. The purpose of the discussion forums is to provide an opportunity for individuals to discuss end stage renal disease and related topics. The discussion forms are not a substitute for professional medical care. For questions or

We have a Chinese restaurant nearby that will steam their meals with no salt, MSG, or sauces. I can go out with friends and enjoy a renal-friendly meal. Only those restaurants that cook with fresh ingredients will probably do this, definitely not the buffet style ones.

Comment

restaurants

Originally posted by beaulanger
      We have a Chinese restaurant nearby that will steam their meals with no salt, MSG, or sauces. I can go out with friends and enjoy a renal-friendly meal. Only those restaurants that cook with fresh ingredients will probably do this, definitely not the buffet style ones.
      Whenever I eat at a restaurant, I ask them to substitute foods such as fries. I ask them not to add salt. Basically, I only have a taste of foods that are full of potassium or phosphorus. I don't eliminate them and so far my chemistry is within acceptible limits. So, I haven't had to totally deprive myself.

Comment

thanks for the info. people

Comment

kim and tony

how do you get a reply back?????

Comment

Originally posted by kim and tony
            how do you get a reply back?????
            i would thank you but i am not talking to any one !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by beaulanger
              We have a Chinese restaurant nearby that will steam their meals with no salt, MSG, or sauces.... .
              Would LOVE to know which restaurant this is as I live about 20 minutes from Anderson -- just off Hwy 88. Either post here or send private email - Blackwxyz@yahoo.com

Comment

Eating out and avoiding phosphorous

My husband's phosphorous level was up this time. Can anyone recommend foods low in phosphorous when eating out?

Comment

Don't forget the "binders" when eating out... it's often the cause of elevated phosphorus levels. They need to be taken within 15 minutes of the meal to be most effective (actually, "with meals" is best).

Some foods have additives that contain phosphorus.
                  Ask the dietitian at the dialysis unit for an "eating out" guide, and best wishes.
                  The response of this moderator is not an attempt to address a specific condition. Please note that the DaVita.com discussion forums do not provide medical advice or professional opinions about specific conditions. The purpose of the discussion forums is to provide an opportunity for individuals to discuss end stage renal disease and related topics. The discussion forms are not a substitute for professional medical care. For questions or

Comment

Re: "Eating Out"

Originally posted by Maria View Post
                    Don't forget the "binders" when eating out... it's often the cause of elevated phosphorus levels. They need to be taken within 15 minutes of the meal to be most effective (actually, "with meals" is best).

Some foods have additives that contain phosphorus.
                    Ask the dietitian at the dialysis unit for an "eating out" guide, and best wishes.
                    Please give some examples of "binders".

Comment

This is copied from an article here on DaVita's public website, DaVita.com:

There are three common types of phosphorus binders: calcium-based phosphorus binders; aluminum-free, calcium-free phosphorus binders, aluminum-based phosphorus binders and magnesium-based phosphorus binders.

Calcium-based phosphorus binders have largely replaced aluminum-based binders. Calcium-based phosphate binders may also serve as calcium supplements.
                      Calcium acetate, also called PhosLo®, is one commonly used phosphorus binder. There are many others, usually containing calcium carbonate. Tums® is a form of calcium carbonate, which can also be effective. Because most people will need to take several phosphate binders with every meal, there may be concern about dialysis patients absorbing too much calcium from these medicines, so calcium levels must be monitored. Additionally, some of the calcium from these binders is absorbed into the bloodstream and may deposit in small blood vessels, causing organ damage.

Aluminum-free, calcium-free phosphorus binders, such as Renagel® (sevelamer) and Renvela (sevelamer carbonate), are another type of phosphate binders. These phosphorus binders mix with phosphorus in the intestinal tract, but do not contain aluminum or calcium, so they don’t cause problems with excess aluminum or calcium load. Chewable Fosrenol®, lanthanum carbonate, is another aluminum and calcium free binder.

Aluminum-based phosphorus binders have been shown to have toxic side effects that cause bone disease and damage the nervous system, therefore they are rarely prescribed as a long term phosphorus binder today. Aluminum based binders may be prescribed for short term use when phosphorus is poorly controlled and other binders are not effective.
                      Magnesium-based phosphorus binders may be used as an alternative to calcium-based phosphate binders when it is necessary for a patient to have a lower calcium intake. Magnesium levels should be monitored. This phosphate binder may be appropriate for peritoneal dialysis (PD) patients, who tend to run lower magnesium levels.

Phosphorus binders combined with a low-phosphate diet can help keep you active and healthy. Talk to your doctor or renal dietitian to find out more about phosphorus binders and which combination may work best for you.

Comment

Thanks for the info,I'm learning more every day I guess on the 11th when I go back for my apt they will tell me my test results so I'll know what to stay away from,i just hope i can do it

Comment

Even I am reading & learning with the site. You guys are such a supportive bunch. I was new to the term "binders”. Thanks you very much.

Comment

I recently went into a kidney support group, where there was an invited renal dietitian present to answer our general questions. I asked her, if somebody is out of town/country for a couple days and have no choice except to eat out, what should he do? ( because, this is a typical problem my husband faces,as he travels frequently due to his job). The dietitians answer was to keep an eye on the potassium if he is in a potassium restricted diet, and she said, high protein for a few day will not harm, because only long term high protein intake effects the body, whereas the high potassium intake can rise the level of potassium in the blood quickly and can cause irregular heartbeat or something immediately to somebody who is in a potassium restricted diet. What are your experiences ? What you guys do when you are bound to eat out ?
                            My husband has CKD.Age 35, stage 3, diagnosed Oct 2010. HBP from 2006 Nov, which is under control with the help of medications.

Comment

Poubis,

Here is a link to the NKF's guide to dining out with confidence, which gives a brief summary of things to avoid and which to choose when dining out. Hopefully this will help out a little.

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/diningout.cfm

God Bless and Merry Christmas, Poubis!
                              Create signature while not logged in, edited through forums.davita.com on 08/15/2012 @ 12:53!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X