What to eat when traveling - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to eat when traveling

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to eat when traveling

Okay, so I am on CKD stage 3 and with the condition since three months ago. Until I was informed of me on CKD I would eat and drink so much stuff without a problem. I am in central California and since three months ago, to be exact April 18, I have not really gone out to eat at restaurants except like twice. I took a trip outside my area for the first time on CKD at the end of May and it was all day. Knowing I am on a kidney disease I would say to myself that I'd take care of myself and not have what is plain bad for me. I know I can also post on the travel section but this is also good to post on dining out for the diet and nutrition section. Anyway, the day I went outside my area to travel for the first time on CKd I had eaten breakfast in the morning at home, and it was like 4:30 a.m. And, when on travel, on the bus they would also offer typical breakfast foods like cupcakes and burritos. I had an entire cupcake, which I did not know if it was okay for me to have it or not. But on the trip lunch got offered, a turkey sandwich I had which I ate because doctors told me it was okay for me to have turkey. The sandwich contained no cheese so it was safe for me to have (cheese is a no for me too). I went alone without family, but there were other people I personally know on the trip. i was then also given snacks, almost all of them the unhealthy ones like Cheetos, which I did not eat knowing they do harm to me on CKD. I ate some fruit snacks, which I did not know if they'd be safe for me to have or not. Well, I can occasionally go out of my kidney diet, it was the first time on Ckd with me on fruit snacks and cupcakes. I am not going overboard in skipping my kidney diet. When going out to eat nearby where I am at the best options are a buffet or a place with typical less fatty foods and sugary drinks like Subway. I have obtained a lot of the diet but I am needing to know about how much exactly a day I need of sodium, potassium, and more - I am hoping to see a nutritionist or dietitian soon for that because three weeks from now I am scheduled one appointment with some dietitian at the nephrology center in my area but it's too expensive. Ckd has made me mostly vegetarian. I've eliminated all meat except fish, chicken and turkey from normally having. I am planning to travel to some six hours away from me in terms of driving sometime in October, November or December (don't know the exact dates yet) and I am staying some three days and two nights. There are vegetarians by choice and therefore they don't ever eat meat and instead have the meatless meals when dining out. When I get that trip, as the date approaches, I can go out of my kidney diet if appropriate, or just have to eat and drink what is good for me, and definitely not have the worst for me. And, if I do go out of my kidney diet, I am not doing it too much, maybe once, for a main meal of breakfast, lunch or dinner. When visiting family far away they now know I am on CKD so I can just have my own food prepared there. Dietary changes may happen too, and next I see my nephrologist on September 26 for GFR updates, so then I should also know any changes in diet depending on the change of GFR from my last nephrology appointment on June 13 I had. The trip is after the nephrology appointment. Then I am being optimistic that I know exactly how much of the nutrition from protein, potassium, carbohydrates and more I should have daily for my health to still be good by the time that trip comes. How does anyone else handle this diet? Obviously travel is among people on special diets due to an illness too, so this is important to know when on a faraway trip and not visiting relatives. Does it mean going to restaurants with the meals appropriate for you if you have a kidney disease? Obviously you should have what your nephrologist, nutritionist or dietitian tells you. I do not go to restaurants like McDonald's, Burger King, KFC or Jack-in-the-Box, and before I knew I have CKD I did not go often to them either. What happens if your faraway trip is a long-term one, like staying weeks or months and you have CKd? Obviously the local area is where you know where places are at, but faraway is reasonably uncertain. And, yes, there are people who on purpose rebel against the diet, being on a certain illness where such food or drinks they have out of their diet is bad for them. I am certainly not a person to on purpose rebels against a chronic illness diet if necessary. Anyone on allergies to a certain food or drink does not have that food or drink, so they are on something else, regardless of travel too. So that should be correct for a CKD person too. Just tell me more on this, on CKD and traveling far away not visiting relatives and it's a longer trip and what to have on food and drink there, so I can also know for future traveling this way. Thank you.

Hi Jagb1992, welcome to myDaVita and thank you for sharing! Have you downloaded any of our free, kidney-friendly cookbooks? Our newest one, "Today's Kidney Diet: Restaurant Favorites" features kidney-friendly takes on some favorite restaurant dishes, like Broccoli & Beef Stir-Fry and tacos! It also has some tips in there when dining out. You can download it for free here: http://bit.ly/29GktVu. I hope that helps! I think once you meet with a nephrologist and dietitian, that will help as well

Please let me know if you have any myDaVita questions in the future!

Your community manager,
    Kelsey

Comment

Here is a basic on how much you can have. Sodium 1500-2000mg, potassium 1500-2000mg and phosphorus from 750-1000mg. These are all per day. I am stage 3b. These are the numbers I was told. Good Luck

Comment

I still need to know what I can eat when traveling...........please !! ........

Comment

I have stage 3 and have to watch my potassium as it was at 5.4 back in Sept but we think u was due to eating to many tomatoes and zucchini and cheese which I have now cut back on a lot. We travel a lot and I have learned what foods to stay away from what foods I can have in moderation and have no issues with eating out. I generally sub my potatoes for extra veggies or a side salad whixh has never been an issue doing. By educating myself I have a good sense of what to stay clear of I also tell the waitress to tell the cook to not add extra seasonings to my food. Print off and down load the foods tab are low and high in potassium and phosphorus this has helped me hugely. Is it tough heck yes but with time it gets easier honest. Example we went to a dinner fundraiser last night and potatoes where on my plate hence hubby got them and I cut the chixken into the size if know I am allowed and past the rest over to you got it hubby he also had my desert 😢 because it was icecream and I can ply have half cup a dairy a day. Good luck and travel do not let your disease make you stop I haven't

Comment

Originally posted by DeeDee18 View Post
            I still need to know what I can eat when traveling...........please !! ........
            Hi DeeDee18, you could try using the DaVita Diet Helper! We just released some new features, one of which is a Dining Out Guide: http://bit.ly/2ae6Vi2. That could be helpful to you while traveling!

You can also speak with a local dietitian to address any specific diet questions you have as everyone's needs are different. I hope this helps and that you have a nice weekend!

Kelsey

Comment

Working...
            X