Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Advice? BP

Hi all:
    I haven't been here in awhile. I've had alot going on. Days of not feeling so well (other than the kidneys)

In the past (good 2 mos.) my blood pressure has really been elevated. The 5th of Dec. My husband was having surgery & my BP was out the roof. I notified my out of town Neprologist who had me double my Lisinopril. I've also had to recently change the beta blocker I was taking to Bystolic cause of the pvc's & pac's I've had for yrs.

My BP will be ok most of the day (now/ finally) but STILL it goes UP every evening anywhere from 6:00 pm till 10:00 pm. Yesterday I "thought" it was going to stay ok as at 6:30 pm it was still good then at 10:00 it was back up to 150/80. Course my Nep. Wants it down to 120/ or as low as possible. Tonight it was 150/80 by 6:00 pm.

Holiday eating got me really messed up I know. Having to go certain places & what do you eat. I'm sure it started bad around Nov. & just escalated just like my eating has. I've been stressed over the blood pressure which I've thought I've had chest pain, can't get a Dr in my home town to "care", My husband's surgery & caring for him stressed me but he is much better now. Stress makes me eat.....

I have alot of fatigue from other health issues & I didn't like to cook anyway but standing & cooking has never been my thing even if I didn't have the fatigue.

Something's "that are kidney friendly" I either don't like or bother my stomach.

Gluten free foods work better for my colon. Finding low sodium items are few. When I was doing "good" I was living off of the same foods everyday & it was very little.

I don't know what to eat & I'm really worried when I go back to my Nep. In 7 days he will increase my BP again. I'm to be keeping a record of the readings. I stay SO COLD all the time & I think it's all the BP med.

I take 20 mg. lisinopril a.m. , 20mg. Late afternoon, & 2.5 mg bystolic (lowers bp also) at bedtime.
    Thanks for listening & appreciate any advice on lowering bp.

Hope you all have a happy blessed healthy new year.
    Judy

Stage 3 CKD

Re: Any Advice? BP

Hi Judy, It sounds like the lisinopril is not doing it's job. Maybe it's time to try a new bp med instead of increasing the dose. As you mentioned, sodium and stress plays a role in this. If your cheating with meals the sodium will get you. I can't remember but have you see a dietician? If not, do so. So important to get the right diet for your condition. And since you have stomach and abdominal issues, it would be helpful. Too much worrying will hike up the top reading and stress can increase the fatigue you already have from your health problems. It might be time to get some help for the stress. I would make a list of concerns you want to talk about with your Dr. Good luck at your next appointment and let us know how your doing. We have a few conditions in common. Feel free to private message me any time if you want to discuss anything.

Toni
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

When did it start going up? Did you eat many foods with a high salt content? Salt can cause your bp to rise from fluid gain in the tissues.

The cold feeling could be due to a low hemoglobin. Ask your nephrologist for a copy of your labs and see what the hemoglobin was the last time you had blood work. You may want to suggest getting your hemoglobin drawn. You may need to be put on epogen/aranesp/procrit if it is too low. Also take a look at your iron levels. You may want to ask for this to be drawn as well as they normally do not draw your iron levels on a routine basis.
      NxStage - Since April - 06
      Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

Hi Judy--

I agree with M3Riddler--the being cold all of the time sounds like you may be anemic and that's usually due to being iron deficient. I have that problem and have to take Aranesp shots for it. It definately helps to boost you up and you're not so tired all of the time. I also agree that you may need to try a new BP med. I've found that one med works for years but then just stops working and you need to make a switch. And I so agree with you about the food! I wish I didn't enjoy eating so much--the holidays were really bad for me this year. I have to get back onto a regimen that is kidney friendly but it's a rough road. I try to make some of the Davita recipes off of this site. Some of them are really good and even my husband eats them. And if you're not satified with your doctor then you definately need to find a new one. I was very unsatified with my previous Neph who stated that she could do nothing else for my case. Then I found my current Neph who switched my meds and got my protein count to go from 7000 to 250! So if you're not happy--you should always get another opinion. Good Luck with everything Judy and keep us posted about your progress!

Teresa
        Type 1 Diabetes-1982 (currently on insulin pump therapy)
        Acute Renal Failure due to experimental drug(Aminoguanidine)-1996
        CKD Stage 4

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
        We must go through the storm to appreciate the sunshine!

Comment

It seems Lisinopril is the drug of choice for my Neprologist for B P since he says it's "good for the kidneys" also. I started at 10 mg, quickly moved to 20 mg., stayed there a good while then 2 - 2 1/2 mos ago is when it just suddenly started jumping....one day I took it & it was 160/80 ... I thought it was a fluke 1 time thing... It would be up & down. This was after Thanksgiving & just before my husbands surgery wkend 12/5 it was 172/90. That's when they said double the dose from 20mg to 40mg. Then it would be low 90/50 in the morning & I would be so weak!!! Good by noon & back high late afternoon, so they suggested split the dose 20 , 20 . Most everyday i will "think" it's going to stay down until anywhere from 6:30 to bedtime. I take bystolic low dose at bedtime.

It is Always UP just before I go to bed!!! Last night it was 150/80. Only bad for kidney patients, but actually that number & higher as mine has been (as I have seen the bottom figure 1 night 100). Is bad I know for my heart.

The constant cold sensations really bother me. Even last Sat. When everyone was going in their short sleeves I had to have a coat on. I freeze in the house. Always wrapped up.
          I will remember this next visit to mention this to my Dr.

Are there "other" good for the kidney BP med's besides Lisinopril?

I would love to know what others eat low sodium when they are in a bind? Or their staple hurry up foods. Thanks for replying. E

Comment

It does seem like they might need to change your blood pressure medicine. I know linisopril is the best for kidneys but if it not doing its job then it might not right for you. My blood pressure seems to be alright at home when I take it but is high when I go to the doctors. We'll see what the Neph says when I see him next. I think he'll be the one to change it. My GP seems to be happy with 145 over 80. Maybe the holidays and your husband have played a part in this and things will settle down that the holdidays are over and your husband is OK.
            sigpic distal renal tubular acidosis, stage 3 kidney disease, high blood pressure, osteoperosis, Sjogren's, non-diabetic osteoarthriis and an overactive bladder GFR was 55 as of 8/2/10 Linda

Comment

There could be so many things affecting your B/P as the other members mentioned.

If you eat out or eat alot of pre-packaged foods, I'd cut down on them.
              Many times prepackaged foods don't taste salty to us, but if you look at ingredients..... LOADED with sodium.

Exercise helps lower B/P. It doesn't have to always be strenuous. A 20-30 minute walk once or twice/day can be beneficial.

Take care

Marina
              I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Also, another reason I'm feeling bad.. I've have a uti infection. I went to my local primary care dr. Back in Dec & was put on amoxicllian. (sp.) just after I finished the 10 day supply I felt I still had it. I went back locally (as I Neph. Recommended to make sure it was gone) -- My Neph. Is 2 hrs. away. The re-check showed I still had an infection & then they put me (about 5 days ago on Leviquin). I do not like the side effects of this drug!! I've taken it before & have problems sleeping. Also, I've wondered if "part" of my cold sensations are really neuropaty.. I have neuropathy & leviquin can make it much worse according to what I read.
                They did a culture this time. Well, because of the holiday & wkend it has taken until today .
                I've just found out the culture shows Leviquin will not help me so they have called in Macibrim (sp). I've taken this before so it will be tomorrow before I can start it.

I don't think the Levaquin is the only reason of this really cold, tingling sensations but it's been worse. I will mention my being so cold all the time when I go to the Neph. Next Tues.

Comment

Maria, I'd love to feel like going for a short walk but it's 32 degrees here in TN today & I was freezing last Sat when it was sunshine & 50's!!!!
                  I've got to find out what's causing this.....circulation ??

Comment

Sometime UTI take a lot of antibotics to get rid of. The first one I had it told 3 rounds of antibotics to get rid of--Bactrium, Cipro and finally Macobid. They seem to be quite stubborn. Hope this round of antibotics gets rid of it. They can be so so anoying.
                    sigpic distal renal tubular acidosis, stage 3 kidney disease, high blood pressure, osteoperosis, Sjogren's, non-diabetic osteoarthriis and an overactive bladder GFR was 55 as of 8/2/10 Linda

Comment

I wonder why your Dr gave you amoxicillin for an UTI when there are far more effective drugs for it.

I wonder if they did a culture where it shows them which drug will treat the specific bacteria found your urine.
                      They usually do, but just wondering.
                      I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Marina:
                        This is my local primary care Dr. - (my Neph. is 2 hrs. away) The primary care Dr. did not do a culture the 1st visit when the 1st antibotic was prescribed for 10 days. . I finished it & about 2 days later really started feeling uncomfortable & called back that I felt I still had the uti. . It showed I did still an infection -& they prescribed the Leviquin, they went on & did a culture this time but I didn't get the results until today because of New Yrs's Holiday off plus the wkend. . So, I've taken 6 days of Leviquin that was doing no good & I "think" giving me side effects. . Now, after their phone call to me today - & the results of my culture I'm to start on Macrobid. .

Thanks Madi's Granny for the correct spelling!!! I haven't picked it up yet. . I'm to start it tomorrow since I've already had a Leviquin today. . I've had Macrobid yrs ago & it did work well.

Well, I was really hoping my BP would stay down today. . I've had about 800 mg of sodium today. Around dinner time - 2 hrs ago my BP was 155/74 !!! Earlier at 3:00 pm it was 112/59 & 1st thing this a.m. it was 102/61. . See it goes up at night. . It may even be higher around 10:30 - 11:00 pm when I go to bed. . I just don't get it!! Granted, I have been on the sweets. . & too much sodium during Christmas eating with other people. . Today I ate my plain same old foods that I can live with.

Does anyone eat soyburgers?? Do you think they are ok?? Some are around 230 sodium - - but I'm using Ezekial 4:9 bread which is 0 sodium.

Comment

I thought they would have tried Bactrim or Cipro first They are the ones that I've beem givien when I've had an UTI. I wondering if the stresses of the day combined with sodium is raising your blood pressure. If that's it they may want to change the medicine. Mine seems to go up when I'm uner alot of stress such as going to the doctors. As of yet they haven't done anything about it but we'll see when I go back to the Neph.

Comment

My Dr. took me off Lisinopril because he said it was bad for my kidneys. I think it is high in potassium. My BP was going up and my new dr put me on hydralazine. My BP went from 180/70 to 130/55 He put me on a low low sodium diet and I have lost 20 in 12 weeks and I do feel a lot better. I also have trouble with being cold but I am doing so much better

Comment

Zizzer: Gosh, I've never heard or read Lisinopril is bad for the kidney's! The literature from the pharmacy states it helps treat the kidneys. I'm glad your bp came down. They may have to change me to something different. Lisinopril may not work well for certain people.

So far today it's ok but I'll know more in a couple hrs.

Originally posted by zizzer View Post
                              My Dr. took me off Lisinopril because he said it was bad for my kidneys. I think it is high in potassium. My BP was going up and my new dr put me on hydralazine. My BP went from 180/70 to 130/55 He put me on a low low sodium diet and I have lost 20 in 12 weeks and I do feel a lot better. I also have trouble with being cold but I am doing so much better

Comment

Working...
                              X