Davita recipes...... - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Davita recipes......

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Davita recipes......

Originally posted by Bebe View Post
    I thought that I had posted this but I don't find it. I really like
    benson's table tasty,salt subsitute. I use it whrn cooking and also on food that is cooked. website http://www.bensonsgourmetseasonings.com/ . let me know if you try it.
    I was told not to use salt subsitutes. Mrs Dash was alright but no salt subs. Was I told wrong??
    Dashound
    DASHOUND

Stage 5
    dialysis 3 times aweek at center
    type 2 diabetic
    kidneys failed in Feb of 2010
    both kidneys full of stones
    removed my right one in March of 2010

taking one day at a time

Comment

Be sure to follow your doctors advice on sodium suppliments!! Most 'salt free' or 'low sodium' products are WAY high in potassium. We can't have it all good,

Comment

Our renal dietician and our neph told us Mrs Dash was perfect for us. We have to avoid the other salt subtitutes that are primarly potassium based. Those are too be avoided.

Mrs Dash actually has many different flavors, you should give them a try.
        Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
        Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Comment

I've been wanting to try the recipes but ramon us a really plain person doesnt like anything no veggies nothing so idk wat to feed him..
          buthe says that he is willing to try the recipes on
          on here I'm making the pancakes tomorrow morning since its my day off
          n also definitely trying the mac n cheese

Comment

my dietician said to watch the potassium in Mr. Dash.
            Stage 3, non diabetic GFR 37

Comment

I'm with Bebe. My dietician told me to stay away from Mrs Dash as well because its too high in potassium.. So who's right??

I looked at the Davita recipies and it looks nothing like the strict diet I have for myself. I am stage 5 but I would never touch hard cheeses, or any milk products or tortillas or anything like that. I will keep searching though... maybe there's something out there. I just dont understand why these recipies came under the CKD not on dialysis section. I thought we were supposed to avoid cheese and milk and flour. These are all high in sodium too! At least higher than what i've been allowing myself. maybe i'm being more strict than they are..?
              TRANSPLANT SCHEDULED NOV 14, 2011 THANKS TO MY AMAZING HUSBAND!!!
              Today oct 11th.Still no dialysis -and at 9% GFR,
              think i'm gonna make it!!!

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
              Benign Glomulersclerosis- not hereditary, no known cause
              Non-diabetic, normal BP
              Hospital error 2008 caused me to plummet straight to CKD5
              07/2011 -CKD 5 -GFR 11 - Not on Dialysis
              Awaiting transplant, doing eval, hoping for live donor match

Comment

Originally posted by LanaB View Post
                I'm with Bebe. My dietician told me to stay away from Mrs Dash as well because its too high in potassium.. So who's right??

I looked at the Davita recipies and it looks nothing like the strict diet I have for myself. I am stage 5 but I would never touch hard cheeses, or any milk products or tortillas or anything like that. I will keep searching though... maybe there's something out there. I just dont understand why these recipies came under the CKD not on dialysis section. I thought we were supposed to avoid cheese and milk and flour. These are all high in sodium too! At least higher than what i've been allowing myself. maybe i'm being more strict than they are..?
                I know what you mean. I get confused too. One says this is okay then another says no.I use Mrs Dash very little. I learned not to use salt and now I can really taste the salt in things.I'm dtage 5 too. And yse it's hard not eating all the good stuff. LOL
                Dashound
                DASHOUND

Stage 5
                type 2 diabetic

taking one day at a time

Comment

You can try fresh herbs and/or spices to give your food a little more flavor.

I too was told to stay off/away from ALL Mrs. Dash products.
                  I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
                    You can try fresh herbs and/or spices to give your food a little more flavor.

I too was told to stay off ALL Mrs. Dash products.
                    I use fresh herbs too. I have a herb garden.
                    Dashound
                    DASHOUND

Stage 5
                    type 2 diabetic

taking one day at a time

Comment

The Tasty Table seasoning I mentioned claims to have no salt and no potassium. I would like someone who has a good dietician to ask about it. It is really a goo replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Bebe View Post
                        The Tasty Table seasoning I mentioned claims to have no salt and no potassium. I would like someone who has a good dietician to ask about it. It is really a goo replacement.
                        Was it Benson's ? Sorry I can't remember. I googled Tasty table and I got this:

http://www.bensonsgourmetseasonings.com/
                        A low sodium diet or salt free diet is all about getting the salt and sodium out of your food and getting flavor in. Bensons Gourmet Salt Free Seasonings are all about adding flavor without adding salt and no potassium. Low sodium diets do not have to be bland. You'll find your low sodium diet can be both heart healthy and delicious. We will help teach you how to pepare tasty, healthy, salt free food.

All of Bensons Gourmet Seasonings are salt free, sugar free, contain no preservatives, no msg, no potassium chloride and are wheat free and gluten free. Each seasoning has between 13 and 19 different herbs, spices and vegetables. Real ingredients for amazing aroma and great flavor. Now you can enjoy your lower sodium food.

Many of you who come to Bensons Gourmet Salt Free Seasonings' website are searching for a really good salt substitute. Preferably a no potassium salt substitute. You found it! Bensons Gourmet Salt Free Seasonings offers a very special, very tasty, all natural, no potassium chloride salt substitute called Table Tasty.
                        Salt Substitute | No Potassium Chloride Salt SubstituteTable Tasty Salt Substitute is a No Potassium Chloride Salt Substitute. Table Tasty salt substitute has a nice salty flavor with no bitter after taste. Table Tasty salt substitute just tricks those taste buds to thinking it's salt. You will be pleasantly surprised. Table Tasty salt substitute helps take care of your salt cravings. Table Tasty salt substitute on popcorn, is amazing. This salt free seasoning for popcorn challenge, is what started our company. We wanted an all natural, healthy, salt free popcorn seasoning, with a wonderful salty taste. Table Tasty does it. Table Tasty salt substitute adds flavor to your usually plain vegetables, especially potatoes, fresh tomatoes, and corn-on-the-cob. Add Table Tasty salt substitute to soups, sauces, and gravies, salads, salad dressings, and sprinkle it on cottage cheese. Table Tasty Salt Substitute is really great on eggs, in egg salad, deviled, eggs, omelettes, hard boiled eggs, and more. Table Tasty salt substitute really brings life to any bland food.

Table Tasty Salt Substitute may be the salt free seasoning that helps you most when you begin your low sodium diet. As it's the Table Tasty Salt Substitute that gives you that nice salty taste you miss most, while your taste buds are adjusting to being salt free. Just using Table Tasty Salt Substitute is not enough. You must learn to add flavor to your food, not just make things taste salty. That's where Bensons Gourmet Salt Free Seasonings for cooking come in. Adding Bensons Gourmet Salt Free Seasonings, while your cooking will add tremendous flavor to your food. And you should cook with a variety of salt free seasonings because if you use just one salt free seasoning on everything, pretty soon everything tastes the same. You've heard the saying, "Variety is the spice of life". It's true.
                        I can email my former dietitian for her input on this product.
                        Although I'm wondering, what do they use for flavoring?? hmmmmmm
                        I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

http://www.mrsdash.com/products/All-...iginal-Blend/1

This is what I found for the original blend.
                          Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
                          Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Comment

thank you Marina, I appreciate you sooo much for providing help and information. I have a hard time controlling salt and potassium. I do like to cook but I want food to taste good.
                            someone had a mac and cheese recipe (not the one on devita) that used cream cheese. I would like to try it. I am in state 3 but the main thing my doctor said was to watch my salt. He did put me on sodium bicarbonate for high potassium.

Comment

Thanks Marina, Metrogirl and Bebe. Happy to work it all out. And Dashound - I think a herb garden sounds wonderful idea.

My question is did anyone get an amount of potassium thats allowed in a day? If Mrs Dash has 10mg for 1/4 teaspoon then how much can we use? I'm frustrated that my dietician told me my potassium is fine and wouldnt give me a 'number' to watch for.. So would appreciate your comments on this.

I think I will go out and buy some of the Bensons or tasty table salt as well as mrs Dash. Think i'll ask my dietician again when I see her next month about these products and see what she says..

Lana
                              TRANSPLANT SCHEDULED NOV 14, 2011 THANKS TO MY AMAZING HUSBAND!!!
                              Today oct 11th.Still no dialysis -and at 9% GFR,
                              think i'm gonna make it!!!

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
                              Benign Glomulersclerosis- not hereditary, no known cause
                              Non-diabetic, normal BP
                              Hospital error 2008 caused me to plummet straight to CKD5
                              07/2011 -CKD 5 -GFR 11 - Not on Dialysis
                              Awaiting transplant, doing eval, hoping for live donor match

Comment

Lana,

The amount of potassium you're allowed really depends on your levels.
                                If your dietitian is not giving you a number, just avoid the high potassium foods.
                                So many foods we eat contains some form of potassium, so if you avoid the higher containing foods, you might still be able to keep your level within range.
                                Of course keep checking your levels when you have labs done.

Most PD patients have a lower potassium level than Hemo patients. Mine was always either barely making the mark or below it. I was told to eat 2-3 high potassium foods per day. That worked for me, and I was a happy camper especially since summer fruits are my fave. I love my nectarines, especially white nectarines
                                So funny, my PD dietitian (who is absolutely great) always reminded me, "don't forget those summer fruits you love so much, you could use a few servings per day"

Take care!
                                Marina

Comment

Working...
                                X