How accurate is the Davita food analyzer?? - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How accurate is the Davita food analyzer??

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How accurate is the Davita food analyzer??

I ask this question because I just had it out with dietician at neph. office -I have pretty good function right now holding at 1.1-1.2 55-60%function. -I spill protein in my urine but on 1.25 of lisinopril{smallest dose cut in half} just treating the protein because I typically dont have high bp but at times it gets spikey anyways I am aware that lisinopril causes you to retain potassium but I take such a small dose it shouldnt be an issue for someone at my function .I was diag. in 8/10 and since then I saw a dietician she said I should limit phos to 750 protein to 45-50 sodium 1000 and she never gave me a number for potassium but I on my own restricted to 800-1000 90-95% of time -which I know is very little but ive had about 15 lab draws and never have low potassium it usually is good like 4.1-4.3 but there has been times that is has been high in the upper 4"s or like this last time on 5/25 it was 5-yes im well aware of labs and the things that can happen to make them give a false high ive had a few of those too-but this last one there was no issue and it was a 5 which Im well aware it is in normal range BUT its high normal and I use the food analyzer even wiegh my food to the tee on ANY given day I can tell you how much my potassium ive eaten I have always used the food analyzer to calculate my potassium and I dont eat a large variety of food either my dietician says I should be eating 2000 grams of potassium that she cant believe im not dead because I shouldnt have an issue -I agree but how do I go from 800-1000 and being in the upper4's and 5 and jump to 2000 and wait 2 months inbetween lab draws?? she told me this is all in my head that I have a problem that 5 is good in normal range that unless im binging on potassium its impossible at my function to have a problem so that makes me ask ...how accurate do you all think the food analyzer is-I can tell you 5-6 days a week I eat 1 peeled organic apple maybe 1-2 rice cakes-30 rice crackers 6-9 oz of rice noodles cooked with 2tbsp of xvirg olive oil 2-3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice -2-3 tbsp of mrs.dash zesty garlic and herb with a handful of fresh cilantro an occasional marshmellow- or 1-2 cups of iceburg lettuce sometimes 16 no salt corn tortilla chips with 2tbsp hummus sometimes half a red bell pepper cut up..I do eat typically 1 bulb of garlic a day and I drink lotsa water..what do you all think....I have had it with my office and im looking into another dr asap!!! -I do eat 2-3 oz of chicken or wild shrimp 2-3 times a week and 2 1/2 oz. of wild sockeye salmon 1 time a month
    ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Re: How accurate is the Davita food analyzer??

Really?????? anyone?????? thanks!!!!!!!!
    ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

Re: How accurate is the Davita food analyzer??

Jen,

I personally have never used the food analyzer.

While on PD my potassium ran in the low 3's, I was encouraged/told to eat 2-3 servings minimun/day or K foods, or take Klor-con (K supplement).

If you're limiting your potassium as much as you are and your number is on the higher end of normal, I suspect there are other issues which are increasing your K levels.

Check your meds http://www.rxlist.com/drugs/alpha_a.htm to get an idea if they're the culprits for the K level.

Hope this helps.

Marina
      I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

This is my first post, I am 4 stage and trying to better on my eating. I have been using Myfitnespal to log my meals. Since I cant log Phosphorus I just did my meals for breakfast. Davita food analyzer is different from even the box (cream of Wheat ) on nutrition facts. Can some one help me with this?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddijb View Post
          This is my first post, I am 4 stage and trying to better on my eating. I have been using Myfitnespal to log my meals. Since I cant log Phosphorus I just did my meals for breakfast. Davita food analyzer is different from even the box (cream of Wheat ) on nutrition facts. Can some one help me with this?
          I sent you some info in email that might help. Even some things on Davita don't list phosphorus and potassium. The problem with my fitnesspal which I also have used is that it relies mostly on the people who use it to add the info for the items in the database. To many differences to rely on.

Comment

Working...
          X