Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dried fruits?

Hi all,

We all know that dried fruits are not good for CKD patients, but what makes dried fruits a no no for the CKD ? I Mean, many fruits are OK , but what happens when those fruits are dried. Are salt or preservatives the culprit, what if I make dry fruits at home just by sun drying them without adding extra salt or preservatives?
    My husband has CKD.Age 35, stage 3, diagnosed Oct 2010. HBP from 2006 Nov, which is under control with the help of medications.

Re: dried fruits?

It's the amount of potassium in the fruit that is the concern whether dried or fresh. Most of your dried fruits are in the high potassium group and should be limited or avoided by people in the advance stages (4&5). It would be best to ask your Dr. or dietician.

I just checked my dried canberries and it has no sodium added and is 45mg potassium for 1/3 cup. That might be ok depending on your labs and stage but still check with your Dr. I know that some other fruits are much higher.
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

I think most dried fruits are also pretty high in phosphorus.

Comment

Also, when eating dried fruit snacks, they are easy to eat - like chips...it's hard to eat just one! So, in reality - if one dried fruit slice is say half an apricot, you can easily end up eating way too much fruit. Way more than a dialysis patient serving. Be sure to check the portion size on packages. REMEMBER - The "dried version" is the concentrated version.

Michelle
        Michelle
        FSGS diagnosis in childhood
        PD since June 2010
        Transplant 1/19/2011

Comment

The food analyzer on this site is a great tool. For 1 ounce of dried mixed fruit (thats not much) there is 230mg of potassium, 20mg Phos. and 5mg sodium. You can enter a specific food such as dried apples and it will give you the nutritional info.
          May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
          Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

I was told that it was the preservative in the dried fruits that you get in the stores that is harmful. If you dry your own apples (and I have done that; they're great!) they should be perfectly fine. It is true that even if you dry your own fruit make sure the phosphorus and potassium level (and the sugar for the diabetic) is low.
            Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
            *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
            High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
            ~Corrie ten Boom

Comment

Working...
            X