Question about Phosphates - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Phosphates

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Phosphates

I don't have a dietician yet and am trying to find out a typical low phosphate amount that I should watch daily in the amounts I eat. I have the sodium, potassium and protein amounts, but can't even find a generic "low phosphate" number. I need something to let me know I am keeping within the right range because I haven't been back to my doctor appointment yet. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

How many mg's of phosphates should one have on a low phosphate diet?

Re: Question about Phosphates

Originally posted by pacificfords View Post
    I don't have a dietician yet and am trying to find out a typical low phosphate amount that I should watch daily in the amounts I eat. I have the sodium, potassium and protein amounts, but can't even find a generic "low phosphate" number. I need something to let me know I am keeping within the right range because I haven't been back to my doctor appointment yet. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Great question!!!!!!!!!

I hate to tell you that my Dr nor my dietician have ever mentioned an amount I can eat/day.
    we've instead discussed eating the foods that on the low to moderate list, and avoiding all those on the "high" list.

Keep in mind that most processed foods are high in phosphorus, so try avoiding processed foods, dairy products, legumes and nuts.

Take care!

Marina
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

My amount is about 800 milligrams. This number is based on my height, weight, and protein level. My dietician gave me a food pyramid that can be found at www.CulinaryKidneyCooks.com. She used my numbers to determine the number of servings that I could have at each level. On the back is a great list of foods that we should limit or avoid.

Comment

Hi PacificFords - I am in no way an expert on this and the safest thing would be for you to speak to a dietician since one that is given knows your specific case BUT here is the amounts that my husband's dietician put him on :: (he is in failure but not a dialysis patient yet)

Sodium - 2400 mg a day
        Fluid - 1000-1500 ml/day
        Protein - 60 gm/day
        Potassium - 2000 mg/day
        Phosphorus - 800 to 1200 mg/day

Hope this helps in some way
        ~Angel~

When life knocks you to your knees, your in the perfect position to pray

Comment

That is super-helpful mrsnights... I am not limited on fluids yet, but all the other numbers look very close to my limits, so that gives me a good idea of what to look for. Thanks so much!!!

Comment

your very welcome =)
            ~Angel~

When life knocks you to your knees, your in the perfect position to pray

Comment

Can you share with us your figure or the allowable limit on sodium, potassium, and protein? and also what stage is your category? THANKS . . . .

Comment

Observer123... I still do not have a dietician. I set my own limits based on my own research.

I stay below these limits:

Sodium: 2000 mg per day
                Potassium: 1200 mg per day
                Phosphates: 800 mg per day
                Protein: 55 mg per day
                Calcium: 2000 mg per day

I do not have to limit fluids yet. I am stage 5.

Comment

Observer123... I still do not have a dietician. I set my own limits based on my own research.

I stay below these limits:

Sodium: 2000 mg per day
                  Potassium: 1200 mg per day
                  Phosphates: 800 mg per day
                  Protein: 55 mg per day
                  Calcium: 2000 mg per day

I do not have to limit fluids yet. I am stage 5.
                  Pacificlords...... thanks so much for the info

Comment

A renal diet is not "one size fits all" it's got to be adjusted based on your monthly labs.
                    especially dealing with potassium, phosphorus and calcium, it's based on on individual basis.
                    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

I have high blood pressure and my sodium limit is at 1500 mg daily. You really do need guidance based on your labs, as Marina stated.
                      May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
                      Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Hi Pacificlords

By now you are probably even more confused. As it was mentioned earlier each patient has different nutritional needs based on their bloodwork and stage of kidney disease. It can be helpful when others respond to our questions however we must be very careful not to adjust our diets and intake according to others recommendations without speaking to our renal team first.

this best suggestion any of us can give is for you to review the LOW PHOSPHATE list of foods and to avoid as many of the HIGH phosphate foodsyou can before you meet with your dietition. Of course all processed food has phosphorous with very high amounts.

If you do not have a list available we will gladly post one for you.

Good Luck.
                        Ladybug14

Comment

Hi,
                          I have been on dialysis for about 14 months now..I can NOt for the life of me get my pho./pottasium numbers where they need to be...doea anyone know where to get a reanl diet to go by that is not the terrible food like hospitals feed you...I am a 44 yr. old male and finding it hard tolocate foods without pottasium or phosphate in them!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanx james gravlin

Comment

Hi James, If you cook for yourself it is much easier to regulate the potassium. But be aware of the spices and herbs used as they can add unwanted potassium. Use fresh herbs or "Mrs. Dash" products. Lemon juice and vinegar are a great substitute for salt. If your eating alot of prepared food, whether frozen, canned or boxed your getting too much sodium and probably potassium. My allowed amounts of potassium are within the 2000 to 3000 mg a day which is considered standard for most people on hemodialysis. I don't find this amount restrictive at all. If you log in and use the search engine on the forum, type in potassium and you will dig up some older posts that offer lists of food with the amount of potassium in them. I think Marina had a pretty extensive list posted awhile back. Do you have a dietician and what does your Dr. say? I don't know very much about phosphorus but hopefully someone else can help out. Good luck!
                            May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
                            Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

I do know that on your labs each month they don't want you to be higher than a 5.5 ~ Then you can get different problems. They can give you binders to take when you eat to help you keep it down. I know one more pill to take urgh! But they help

Comment

Working...
                              X