Question about Phosphates - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Phosphates

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about Phosphates

The best thing to do is to avoid the higher phos foods (dairy, nuts, soy, dark colas, beer, processed foods, and the list goes on and on )
    Also if you take binders take them religiously. But even if you take binders try to avoid the higher phos foods. The binders will bind most of the phosphorus BUT NOT ALL.
    here's a link to phosphorus foods:
    http://www.rd411.com/renalcenter/article.php?ID=4pat

As far as potassium foods are concerned, here's a list http://www.davita.com/forum/showthre...potassium+list

I have to point something out, our buddy TRB was switched to Cresto (cholesterol med) and noticed his K went up, he then discussed with Dr, and was taken off it and his K is better.
    ALso be aware that although Mrs Dash does not contain salt, some of it's varieties are loaded with potassium for flavor. Always read labels, to make sure.
    Lemon juice and vinegar are a great substitution, like Toni suggested

Take care!

Marina
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

This is GREAT !!! The limits you made for yourself are exactly what my hubby has been given by his Dr. He needs to drink 64 ounces of water daily. Just to show all of you , everyone is different, ASK YOUR DR. From the classes we have attended though, I bet this is a good base line to start with. I never had a base line for phosphates though. Thanks a million to all of you. We had good control till we had a family emergency and had to travel to another state and ate out every day, phosphates level went crazy and GFR went down. Avoid eating out and lunch meats.

Comment

HI EVERYONE, I'M JUST TRYING TO ABSORB ALL THIS.I'M A FEMALE, 79, AM 5' 2" TALL AND WEIGH 152 POUNDS, HAVE CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE, A DEFIBRILLATOR PACEMAKER, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, AND ACUTE KIDNEY DISEASE WHICH WAS CAUSED BY THE WATER PILLS I TOOK FOR THE PAST ALMOST 10 YEARS. I ALSO HAVE OTHER HEALTH ISSUES. MY IDEA IS TO DO WHAT I CAN TO NOT MAKE MY KIDNEY FUNCTION ANY WORSE. MY POTASSIUM LEVELS WERE OCCASIONALLY HIGH ON VARIOUS BLOOD WORK STARTING LAST YEAR, SO I CUT OUT ORANGES, ORANGE JUICE, AND AM NOW CUTTING BACK ON MILK, TOMATOES, BEANS AND OTHER FOODS I KNOW ARE HIGH IN POTASSIUM, BUT I NOTICE MOST FOOD LABELS DON'T SHOW POTASSIUM. I HAVE A SCHEDULED MEETING AT THE DIALYSIS CENTER FOR JUNE 9TH, TO LEARN ABOUT DIET, ETC. I'M TRYING TO LEARN WHAT I NEED TO KNOW. I'VE FOLLOWED A LOW SALT DIET FOR THE PAST 9 PLUS YEARS AND HAVE DONE VERY WELL, BUT TYING TO WORK THE LOW SALT, LOW POTASSIUM AND LOW PHOSPHORUS INTO A MEAL PLAN SEEMS TO BE VERY HARD. I'VE NEVER COOKED USING A LOT OF DIFFERENT INGREDIENTS OR SPICES. I PREFER TO USE LOW SALT RATHER THAN USE SPICES THAT I DON'T LIKE. AS AN EXAMPLE OF A NORMAL DINNER, I PREPARE PORK CHOPS, IN A SKILLET WITH NO GREASE, BOIL QUARTERED POTATOES, AND USUALLY MAKE A VERY SIMPLE SALAD, AND BOIL CARROTS WITH A TINY BIT OF BROWN SUGAR OR LOW SALT BUTTER, OR HAVE A CAN OF LOW SALT PEAS, CORN OR GREEN BEANS. I FEEL LIKE MOST OF THE RECIPES I'VE SEEN ARE SO INVOLVED AND DIFFERENT FROM HOW I'VE ALWAYS COOKED SO SIMPLY. I NEED HELP. THANK YOU

Comment

Originally posted by DDDDDDD View Post
          HI EVERYONE, I'M JUST TRYING TO ABSORB ALL THIS.I'M A FEMALE, 79, AM 5' 2" TALL AND WEIGH 152 POUNDS, HAVE CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE, A DEFIBRILLATOR PACEMAKER, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, AND ACUTE KIDNEY DISEASE WHICH WAS CAUSED BY THE WATER PILLS I TOOK FOR THE PAST ALMOST 10 YEARS. I ALSO HAVE OTHER HEALTH ISSUES. MY IDEA IS TO DO WHAT I CAN TO NOT MAKE MY KIDNEY FUNCTION ANY WORSE. MY POTASSIUM LEVELS WERE OCCASIONALLY HIGH ON VARIOUS BLOOD WORK STARTING LAST YEAR, SO I CUT OUT ORANGES, ORANGE JUICE, AND AM NOW CUTTING BACK ON MILK, TOMATOES, BEANS AND OTHER FOODS I KNOW ARE HIGH IN POTASSIUM, BUT I NOTICE MOST FOOD LABELS DON'T SHOW POTASSIUM. I HAVE A SCHEDULED MEETING AT THE DIALYSIS CENTER FOR JUNE 9TH, TO LEARN ABOUT DIET, ETC. I'M TRYING TO LEARN WHAT I NEED TO KNOW. I'VE FOLLOWED A LOW SALT DIET FOR THE PAST 9 PLUS YEARS AND HAVE DONE VERY WELL, BUT TYING TO WORK THE LOW SALT, LOW POTASSIUM AND LOW PHOSPHORUS INTO A MEAL PLAN SEEMS TO BE VERY HARD. I'VE NEVER COOKED USING A LOT OF DIFFERENT INGREDIENTS OR SPICES. I PREFER TO USE LOW SALT RATHER THAN USE SPICES THAT I DON'T LIKE. AS AN EXAMPLE OF A NORMAL DINNER, I PREPARE PORK CHOPS, IN A SKILLET WITH NO GREASE, BOIL QUARTERED POTATOES, AND USUALLY MAKE A VERY SIMPLE SALAD, AND BOIL CARROTS WITH A TINY BIT OF BROWN SUGAR OR LOW SALT BUTTER, OR HAVE A CAN OF LOW SALT PEAS, CORN OR GREEN BEANS. I FEEL LIKE MOST OF THE RECIPES I'VE SEEN ARE SO INVOLVED AND DIFFERENT FROM HOW I'VE ALWAYS COOKED SO SIMPLY. I NEED HELP. THANK YOU
          Hi there, thank you for reaching out here and welcome to myDaVita! My name is Kelsey, I'm the community manager here. There are some great resources and tools that I think you'll find really helpful here. First, you can try the DaVita Diet Helper here: http://bit.ly/1YihzIf. It allows you to plan and track kidney-friendly meals, save your favorites and maintain your nutritional goals. You could also consider attending a no-cost Kidney Smart class to learn more about kidney disease, treatment options, diet and more. Find one near you: http://bit.ly/1R9toum. It's great you have a meeting next week, I'm sure you'll be able to get a lot of your questions answered there as well. Please let me know if you have any myDaVita questions! Have a great week!

Comment

need recipes controlling phosphorus

Comment

Originally posted by 834Gaylord View Post
              need recipes controlling phosphorus
              Hi 834Gaylord, welcome to myDaVita! Have you tried the DaVita Diet Helper yet? It allows you to plan and track kidney-friendly meals that adhere to your daily nutritional goals, like phosphorus limits for example. You can check it out here: http://bit.ly/2hLeEZz.

I'd also recommend speaking to a local dietitian if you have any specific dietary questions since everyone's needs are different.

Have a nice afternoon!

Comment

Working...
              X