Low Potassium Diet - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low Potassium Diet

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Low Potassium Diet

    Hello, I was diagnosed with Stage 4 CKD and was told that I must follow a low potassium diet. My doctor said that dialysis is not an option for me. This web site is very helpful but because I am new to this I would like to know if instant Mashed Potatoes are considered a low potassium food item. Thanks

  • #2
    Re: Low Potassium Diet

    I have been on a renal diet for 2 years and I have a daughter that cant eat wheat so I guess you can say is that im on 2 diets it stinks

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Low Potassium Diet

      Originally posted by helenv49 View Post
      Hello, I was diagnosed with Stage 4 CKD and was told that I must follow a low potassium diet. My doctor said that dialysis is not an option for me. This web site is very helpful but because I am new to this I would like to know if instant Mashed Potatoes are considered a low potassium food item. Thanks
      Hello helen, I am curious, why did your neph say that dialysis is not an option for you, do you have to directly have a transplant? As long as I have been on dialysis, I have never heard anything like that, you must have a rare issue as to why.

      Glo

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Low Potassium Diet

        Originally posted by kbzurek View Post
        I have been on a renal diet for 2 years and I have a daughter that cant eat wheat so I guess you can say is that im on 2 diets it stinks
        Well Wheat is high in phosphate so really that is kinda a renal diet already so wouldn't that still be one diet?

        Originally posted by jeffmoore View Post
        Hello helen, I am curious, why did your neph say that dialysis is not an option for you, do you have to directly have a transplant? As long as I have been on dialysis, I have never heard anything like that, you must have a rare issue as to why.
        Glo
        Yeah I was wondering that as well. I have heard of some people that cannot do one type of dialysis but they can still do Peritoneal Dialysis if they cannot do Hemo Dialysis ...
        Angie
        Kidney Korner • Dialysis Ethics Forum • Kidney Pix • Awareness Shirts • KidneySpace • Donor Search
        I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
        • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
        • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
        • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Low Potassium Diet

          The info I have from the American Association of Kidney Patients list...

          Potato, Instant, Mashed---- 1 cup 489mg. of Potassium

          My son is on <2000 mg. per day, so this would be about 1/4 of his daily allotment. It all depends on how much you are allowed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Low Potassium Diet

            Originally posted by thumperzluv View Post
            The info I have from the American Association of Kidney Patients list...

            Potato, Instant, Mashed---- 1 cup 489mg. of Potassium

            My son is on <2000 mg. per day, so this would be about 1/4 of his daily allotment. It all depends on how much you are allowed.
            True. Quite true. It changes person to person and dependent on what stage you are at. Thanks for making this very valid point. Everything in moderation and always talk it over with a dietitian and go by lab work (I always ask for a copy for myself to go over them).
            Angie
            Kidney Korner • Dialysis Ethics Forum • Kidney Pix • Awareness Shirts • KidneySpace • Donor Search
            I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
            • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
            • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
            • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Low Potassium Diet

              Hello friends. I have been off for a while. I saw this thread so I can say something here. I just got back from the allergy Doc. in Pasadena. He tells me that I am allergic to milk, egg whites,green beans,Wheat flour, rice,corn, and so I am going whoa whoa what am I to eat now. the eggs, green beans, corn, rice were my staples. I have had this terrible itch while in dialysis for the past two weeks ,and I have been smearing all of these lotions on my body I am taking the lab reports to the dialysis center tomorrow and see if they can come up with some kind of menue. I am slightly allergic to beef and I have been eating that. so back to the chicken and the fish I guess. I am supposed to eat lots of meat protein. Well I stopped the bread last week because of the wheat flour

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Low Potassium Diet

                Originally posted by lectropet View Post
                Hello friends. I have been off for a while. I saw this thread so I can say something here. I just got back from the allergy Doc. in Pasadena. He tells me that I am allergic to milk, egg whites,green beans,Wheat flour, rice,corn, and so I am going whoa whoa what am I to eat now. the eggs, green beans, corn, rice were my staples. I have had this terrible itch while in dialysis for the past two weeks ,and I have been smearing all of these lotions on my body I am taking the lab reports to the dialysis center tomorrow and see if they can come up with some kind of menue. I am slightly allergic to beef and I have been eating that. so back to the chicken and the fish I guess. I am supposed to eat lots of meat protein. Well I stopped the bread last week because of the wheat flour
                I have an odd question for you (more of a question that I have been wondering about my own developing allergies when I never used to have any). Do you still have your adrenal glands (that sit on top of the kidneys)?
                Angie
                Kidney Korner • Dialysis Ethics Forum • Kidney Pix • Awareness Shirts • KidneySpace • Donor Search
                I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Low Potassium Diet

                  I don't have the answer to that I should ask them at the dialysis center. Maybe they would know. What do the adrenal glands do?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Low Potassium Diet

                    Thanks for answering. I will try to answer your question. My Neph told me that through testing, my kidneys are very small and have been losing normal functioning over a period of time (every 7 years or so). I may have been born this way as there is no way to tell now...and I'm 60 years old. The Neph feels that dialysis would not make my "puny" kidneys grow. He said, if I follow a non-dialysis, low potassium diet, I could stabilize my kidney function until I need a transplant. I also have high blood pressure, which we are having a very hard time trying to find the right medication to maintain low bp. At one point,I ended up in the ER because of high bp. Now, every day and before the evening meal, I have to take this kayexelate (sp) which is supposed to help me pass potassium. It tastes like drinking wet sand, but if that's what I have to do..., I have to do it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Low Potassium Diet

                      Originally posted by helenv49 View Post
                      Thanks for answering. I will try to answer your question. My Neph told me that through testing, my kidneys are very small and have been losing normal functioning over a period of time (every 7 years or so). I may have been born this way as there is no way to tell now...and I'm 60 years old. The Neph feels that dialysis would not make my "puny" kidneys grow. He said, if I follow a non-dialysis, low potassium diet, I could stabilize my kidney function until I need a transplant. I also have high blood pressure, which we are having a very hard time trying to find the right medication to maintain low bp. At one point,I ended up in the ER because of high bp. Now, every day and before the evening meal, I have to take this kayexelate (sp) which is supposed to help me pass potassium. It tastes like drinking wet sand, but if that's what I have to do..., I have to do it.
                      Yeah high Potassium feels worse than high blood pressure so it is very important to keep that under control. Following a renal diet does help hold off dialysis. How is the diet working for you?
                      Angie
                      Kidney Korner • Dialysis Ethics Forum • Kidney Pix • Awareness Shirts • KidneySpace • Donor Search
                      I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                      • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                      • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                      • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Low Potassium Diet

                        The diet is getting easier, but I am still having problems when invited out to dinner, either in a restaurant or someone's house. I can either bring foods I can eat or explain that I can't eat what's put in front of me. As long as I cook at home, I'm good. I was told to stop all dairy as well. When I go to the stores now, I drool over all the things that I have to say away from. As a joke I tell people that I can eat meat and drink beer; at least I can get my friends to laugh. Alcohol is not on my menu, and never has been, but throwing humor into the situation makes me feel better. I will be scheduling a class to learn all about transplantation and putting my name on "The List" very soon. My family is very supportive and I have members who would be willing to go through the process to donate. I keep thinking that my puny kidneys. if from birth, were so bad, how come no one saw this problem years ago. After all, they brought me to the age of 60! I also have severe arthritis in my back and can't take any medication for that pain. Sorry to whine, but I guess this is the place to do it. Thanks again for answering.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Low Potassium Diet

                          As for adrenal glands....aren't they the glands that pump adrenalin as needed. I know someone who has to carry an epipen with her all the time. If she is stung by a bee or wasp, among other situations, that will give her an instant shot of adrenalin and will ward off an allergic reaction.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Low Potassium Diet

                            As I understand, the adrenal glands produce cortisol and other hormones. High cortisol can be an indicator for Cushings disease. Somewhat ironically, I was tested for Cushings about 20 years ago. That test consists of a single high-dose prednisone pill and a blood draw 8 hours later to see how your adrenals reacted. My test was negative for Cushings. When I was diagnosed with CKD, my ct scan revealed a nodule (what the heck, let's call a tumor a tumor) on each adrenal glands, with one larger than the other. That analysis of my 24-hour collection showed that the tumors were not producing some of the "rogue" hormones they're capable of. If that happens, out they come !
                            A follow-up ct scan in November showed that the little buggers hadn't grown. If they had grown very much, out they come !!
                            Hope this information helps a little,
                            Janice

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Low Potassium Diet

                              Originally posted by helenv49 View Post
                              I was told to stop all dairy as well. When I go to the stores now, I drool over all the things that I have to say away from. As a joke I tell people that I can eat meat and drink beer; at least I can get my friends to laugh.
                              Sorry to whine, but I guess this is the place to do it. Thanks again for answering.
                              Actually Beer is not good neither because of the amount of phosphate in it as well. That is the reason for staying away from milk as well is the phosphate.

                              I know what you mean though. I love milk so much and had to stay away from it because even if I bought a small thing of milk and brought it home, I would drink the whole thing in one sitting. That is my weakness. I hated food shopping just like clothes shopping because with food I looked at all the things I wished I could have and couldn't get it .. just like with clothes I looked at all the things I wished I could fit into and couldn't. Shopping had become my least liked past time.



                              Also thanks for the information on Adrenal Glands as I have wondered what the effects are of not having ANY (which I don't have any).
                              Angie
                              Kidney Korner • Dialysis Ethics Forum • Kidney Pix • Awareness Shirts • KidneySpace • Donor Search
                              I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                              • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                              • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                              • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

                              Comment

                              Back to Top
                              Working...
                              X