X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• orange juice

My husband is new to dialysis, and I was wondering if he can drink orange juice. By the way he is also diabetic.
    He thinks he was told in the hospital that he couldn't drink orange juice or any juice for that matter.

Orange juice is high in potassium, and should be avoided.

Comment

Juice will make his diabetes go through the rough, so it's not good for that.

Comment

I am very curious I was told not to drink chocolate but yet I was told I can chocolate ensure is that true . If I was to drink chocolate milk how does it affect me .

Comment

Originally posted by Blake1958 View Post
          I am very curious I was told not to drink chocolate but yet I was told I can chocolate ensure is that true . If I was to drink chocolate milk how does it affect me .
          Probably ok-I doubt that's real chocolate.......

Comment

when i crave a glass of orange juice, I just dilute half juice half water and lottos ice cubes!!

Comment

Originally posted by shelly85 View Post
              My husband is new to dialysis, and I was wondering if he can drink orange juice. By the way he is also diabetic.
              He thinks he was told in the hospital that he couldn't drink orange juice or any juice for that matter.
              Hi shelly85, welcome to myDaVita! This article from DaVita.com suggests other juices to drink instead of orange juice: https://goo.gl/Sl0qyv. However, it's also always best to direct any specific diet questions to your local dietitian as everyone's needs are different.

Have a great weekend!

Comment

I am not on dialysis but from what the doctor says, I will be in the very near future. I have joined your class to educate myself. I do have a question. What about juices, can I have juices such as cranberry, apple, grapefruit juices that are available in the grocery store?

Comment

just need a reply,.

Comment

Here is a list of juices with less than 200 mg potassium per 1/2 cup.
                    Juices: Apple, Apricot nectar, Cranberry, Cranapple, Crangrape, Grape, Peach nectar, Pear nectar, Pineapple. The Cranberry and cran-combos are lowest. These are generally approved for patients who need to limit potassium. If you are not on a low potassium diet there are more juices you can include. Grapefruit juice interacts with many medications. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about your own prescriptions. For more nutrient information you can use the DaVita Diet Helper to look up juices and see the potassium content for the ones you like.

Comment

Working...
                    X