high and low potassium list - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

high and low potassium list

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high and low potassium list

http://www.rd411.com/

Foods high in potassium

Foods that have more than 200 milligrams of potassium per serving are considered high- potassium foods. These foods are listed below (portions are ½ cup [C] unless otherwise noted).

Fruits high in potassium
    ▪ Apricots (raw, 2 medium apricots; dried, 5 halves)
    ▪ Avocados (one fourth of a whole avocado)
    ▪ Banana (half of a whole banana)
    ▪ Cantaloupe
    ▪ Dates (5 dates)
    ▪ Dried fruits
    ▪ Dried figs
    ▪ Grapefruit juice
    ▪ Honeydew
    ▪ Kiwi (1 medium kiwi)
    ▪ Mango (1 medium mango)
    ▪ Nectarine (1 medium nectarine)
    ▪ Orange (1 medium orange)
    ▪ Orange juice
    ▪ Papaya (half of a papaya)
    ▪ Pomegranate (1 pomegranate)
    ▪ Pomegranate juice
    ▪ Prunes
    ▪ Prune juice
    ▪ Raisins

Vegetables high in potassium
    ▪ Acorn squash
    ▪ Artichoke
    ▪ Bamboo shoots
    ▪ Baked beans
    ▪ Butternut squash
    ▪ Refried beans
    ▪ Beets
    ▪ Black beans
    ▪ Broccoli, cooked
    ▪ Brussels sprouts
    ▪ Chinese cabbage
    ▪ Carrots, raw
    ▪ Dried beans and peas
    ▪ Greens (except kale)
    ▪ Hubbard squash
    ▪ Kohlrabi
    ▪ Lentils
    ▪ Legumes
    ▪ Mushrooms, canned
    ▪ Parsnips
    ▪ Potatoes, white and sweet
    ▪ Pumpkin
    ▪ Rutabagas
    ▪ Spinach, cooked
    ▪ Tomatoes and tomato products, such as tomato sauce, pizza sauce, etc
    ▪ Vegetable juice

Other foods high in potassium
    ▪ Bran
    ▪ Chocolate (1.5-2 ounces [oz])
    ▪ Granola
    ▪ Milk, all types (1 C)
    ▪ Molasses (1 Tablespoon [Tbsp])
    ▪ Nutritional supplements
    ▪ Nuts and seeds (1 oz)
    ▪ Peanut butter (2 Tbsp)
    ▪ Salt substitutes
    ▪ Salt-free broth
    ▪ Yogurt

Foods low in potassium

Foods that are low in potassium are listed below (portions are ½ C unless otherwise noted). Eating more than one portion can make a low-potassium food a high-potassium food.

Fruits low in potassium
    ▪ Apple (1 medium apple)
    ▪ Apple juice
    ▪ Applesauce
    ▪ Blackberries
    ▪ Blueberries
    ▪ Cherries
    ▪ Cranberries
    ▪ Fruit ****tail
    ▪ Grapes
    ▪ Grape juice
    ▪ Grapefruit (half of a grapefruit)
    ▪ Mandarin oranges
    ▪ Peaches (1 small fresh peach or ½ C canned)
    ▪ Pineapple
    ▪ Pineapple juice
    ▪ Plums
    ▪ Raspberries
    ▪ Strawberries
    ▪ Tangerine (1 tangerine)
    ▪ Watermelon (limit 1 C)

Vegetables low in potassium
    ▪ Alfalfa sprouts
    ▪ Asparagus (6 spears)
    ▪ Beans, green or wax
    ▪ Cabbage, cooked
    ▪ Carrots
    ▪ Cauliflower
    ▪ Celery (1 stalk)
    ▪ Corn, fresh (half an ear) or frozen (½ C)
    ▪ Cucumber
    ▪ Eggplant
    ▪ Kale
    ▪ Lettuce
    ▪ Mixed vegetables
    ▪ Mushrooms, fresh
    ▪ Okra
    ▪ Onions
    ▪ Parsley
    ▪ Peas
    ▪ Peppers, green
    ▪ Radishes
    ▪ Rhubarb
    ▪ Water chestnuts, canned
    ▪ Watercress

Other foods low in potassium
    ▪ Rice
    ▪ Noodles
    ▪ Pasta
    ▪ Bread and bread products—not whole grain
    ▪ Cake—yellow or angel food
    ▪ Coffee (1 C)
    ▪ Pies—without chocolate or high-potassium fruit
    ▪ Cookies—without nuts or chocolate
    ▪ Tea (limit 2 C)
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Re: high and low potassium list

thank you for sharing!!! The list that was given to us by his doctor was limited ... this is more extensive
    ~Angel~

When life knocks you to your knees, your in the perfect position to pray

Comment

This is a good list Marina. Thanks! I want to add that food that is canned and frozen may have added potassium as it is used as a preservative. The sodium added in canned and frozen food can be extremely high also.
      May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
      Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Thank you Marina for the list I've added it to the information I am compiling.

Could you tell me, as far as servings are concerned if I am having a fish or meat for dinner and want to add side vegetables how many servings would I be allowed to add is it just one serving.
        How many pieces of fruit could I have over a 24 hr period say apples, pears, strawberries, grapes, I quite often make fresh fruit salad.

Thanks
        Jean

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln1944 View Post
          Thank you Marina for the list I've added it to the information I am compiling.

Could you tell me, as far as servings are concerned if I am having a fish or meat for dinner and want to add side vegetables how many servings would I be allowed to add is it just one serving.
          How many pieces of fruit could I have over a 24 hr period say apples, pears, strawberries, grapes, I quite often make fresh fruit salad.

Thanks
          Jean
          Hi Jean,

An ideal diet calls for at least on serving of fruits and veggies per meal. I really don't think a renal diet should be any different, except for the high potassium fruits or veggies IF your K is elevated.
          I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Hi Marina,

I see that you posted the website that you found this high and low potassium foods list from on rd411.com. I am a member of that website, however I can't seem to find the direct link to this article. Could you please post the direct link for me so that I can find it and use it for my patients?

Thanks!
            Christy Smith, MS, RD, LDN

Comment

Originally posted by psustarrie83 View Post
              Hi Marina,

I see that you posted the website that you found this high and low potassium foods list from on rd411.com. I am a member of that website, however I can't seem to find the direct link to this article. Could you please post the direct link for me so that I can find it and use it for my patients?

Thanks!
              Christy Smith, MS, RD, LDN
              Hi Christy,

here's the link
              http://www.rd411.com/renalcenter/article.php?ID=7pat

Comment

Originally posted by BERNARD View Post
                The big fear some people have is that they would get tired and/or bored of eating the same healthy diet foods over and over again. Some people may even go as far as to say it's impossible to consistently eat the same few healthy foods every single day for a long period of time without either falling off the diet or just going insane. Well, first of all, that's not quite true.
                Bernard,
                can you please list your link as an URL and not just a wording link, or it will be seen as spam.

Thanks!

Comment

I keep reading mixed low/high potassium amounts on lists. Who to believe? or how to determine who is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by teamwyn View Post
                    I keep reading mixed low/high potassium amounts on lists. Who to believe? or how to determine who is correct.
                    talk to your dietitian.
                    you might be allowed some potassium foods that others aren't.

I for example, always have low potassium levels, so my dietitian has told me to eat 2 or more foods from the high potassium list/day.

your best bet is to have a talk with him/her to determine which foods and how much you're allowed.

Comment

Thank you so much for posting that information! I have a bit of a dilemma, however, in that my mother-in-law does most of the cooking and she cooks with many Asian vegetables that are not listed on the above list. Do you know where there might be a more extensive list? My doctor recommended that I try Davita.com (which is how I ended up on this forum!) but I couldn't find anything. Mainly it's bok choy and other choys (choy sum, for instance), Chinese spinach, winter melon, Chinese broccoli, etc. I'm just not sure if these things are high in potassium or not. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by SimuSue View Post
                        Thank you so much for posting that information! I have a bit of a dilemma, however, in that my mother-in-law does most of the cooking and she cooks with many Asian vegetables that are not listed on the above list. Do you know where there might be a more extensive list? My doctor recommended that I try Davita.com (which is how I ended up on this forum!) but I couldn't find anything. Mainly it's bok choy and other choys (choy sum, for instance), Chinese spinach, winter melon, Chinese broccoli, etc. I'm just not sure if these things are high in potassium or not. Any suggestions?
                        Hi Simisue, i have a bok choy recipe, that has these nutritional facts for a 1/2 cup serving,

protein - 0.5g
                        Sodium - 23mg
                        Potassium - 88mg
                        Phosphorus - 13mg
                        Calories - 5

If you are interested, i could share the recipe with you, and of course, this recipe is included in my second book "My Twenty Year Journey with PKD in the DIalysis World".

Glo

Comment

my question is about dried prunes. My husband is a dialysis patient and doing very well except for constipation. His center has told him he may have dried prunes(6) for breakfast. If I soak them in water does that take out some of the potassium? Please advise. the problem is sometimes acute and does really change the way he looks at the day. Thank You.shirleysvoice@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Shirley,

That's a great question for the dietitian.

Stool softeners helped me an awful lot. Phoslo (phosphate binder) as well as oral iron would be really harsh on my stomach, but stool softners helped.
                            Also fruits and veggies that are high in fiber (just keep on eye on the potassium contents on each). Apples (just don't peel them) are great! Not only do they help with constipation, but they're renal diet friendly.

take care!

Marina

Comment

I'm sorry to be juvenile, but the first thing I noticed in the original post was that the board censored ****tail for the first four letters....

Oh, Mylanta!

That just amused me, but back on the subject at hand...

When I was first made aware of potassium was three years ago, when I had what the Urgent Care doctor listed as a "cardiac episode'.

My face was locked tighter than OPEC's oil reserves and I had tingling in my arms up near my shoulders. She said what I had was a precursor to a heart attack. They gave me Kionex by the cupful to choke down. It's nasty but it worked.

When I arrived at the Center at my wife's insistence, my K level was 6.9. I didn't even want to go because I was tired and just wanted to lay down, but I lost that argument rather quickly.

The next day I received an intense call from my Nephrology staff. And in short, it hasn't happened again so far.

But being on PD, the staff encourages eating high potassium foods to replace what is lost in the exchanges. I was just confused from A-Z about that. After avoiding them for so long, to actually get to eat these foods again was a real mental hurdle.
                              Diagnosed with Alport Syndrome in 2004.
                              Began PD on February 21st, 2011.
                              On Transplant List since June 2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X